HeatherNYC
Money In The News
September 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM

As the blogger for the FamilyPiggy Bank, I read a lot about money stuff. Surfing around, I uncover all sorts of stories beyond just hints on how to save or the state of the economy, like snippets on what the newly-found Van Gogh masterpiece sold for at Sotheby's or how a young girl was rewarded for returning a wallet full of cash. It's fun to read about all sorts of money news and thinking about how it impacts us or makes us think about our own money situation.

I ran across this cool article on USAToday a few weeks ago. Going to college costs money - not just tuition money, but spending money and money for books and everything. The article talks about how students are turning into entrepreneurs to find ways to make money, starting businesses to help other students out. 

One student started a snack delivery service, another began a room-cleaning service to clean other kids' dorm rooms. Laundry businesses (because who really wants to do those sheets?) have cropped up, as have moving companies (because again who wants to move boxes of textbooks up and down flights of stairs). Smart and savvy students are filling needs of others and making huge profits. 

Pretty cool, when you think about it - and who knows if anyone of them are even business majors. Just goes to show you, if you think hard enough and look around, golden business opportunities are everywhere. Me? I was a dorm counselor, which helped with housing costs and worked summers to bank up spending money for the year...

How did you make money in college? What is the best business idea you have had lately? 

©iStockphoto.com/pressureUA 

Replies

• jbyrd898
    September 12, 2012 at 6:08 AM

wow. those are great ideas for college kids!

• MamaBear2cubs
    September 12, 2012 at 7:04 AM

Awesome ideas. I worked when I was in college.

• michiganmom116
    September 12, 2012 at 8:21 AM

I worked full time in the administrative office of the college while also going to school full time (night classes).

• goddess99
    September 12, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Those are all great ideas. Alot of my friends have etsy shops and sell jewelry.

• momkaribg
    September 12, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Awesome ideas. I worked at DQ when i was in college.

• natesmom1228
    September 12, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Great ideas. I honestly can't remember if I worked or not during college. I have not had any business ideas.

• alliesmom112
    September 12, 2012 at 9:04 AM
    I worked during college part time and my parents helped out quite a bit
  • sukainah
    September 12, 2012 at 9:25 AM

In college, I washed dishes in the cafeteria and donated plasma lol.  I have not had any good business ideas lately.

• Madelaine
    September 12, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I had a job and scholarships

• ceciliam
    September 12, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Very cool! We encourage entrepreneurship in our family....I like to read articles like this.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN