The Family Piggy Bank

Cafe Kate
Ask the Expert: Budgeting Throughout the School Year | Get your questions answered by Chase Blueprint!
September 4, 2012 at 12:05 PM

We're very sorry but our expert is not able to answer your questions at this time. Please check out these great posts from our mom, HeatherNYC, to see what she says about budgeting for the school year:

Help Your PTA Save Money

Rethink School Lunch

Get Organized

More budgeting tips from HeatherNYC >>

CafeMom is excited to welcome back Chase Blueprint to the group to answer questions about staying on the straight and narrow through the school year.

With school already in full swing, have you set a budget on school year expenses like lunches, clothes or even class trips? Are you trying to figure out how to save for a family vacation during spring break? It's never too early or too late to budget. Chase Blueprint is here to help you get started or keep you on track for the school year!

You might have questions like:

• How do I talk to my kids about budgeting this school year?
  • How much should I put in an emergency fund for something we're not expecting?
  • Should I set a budget now for all the things coming up this year?
  • How do we afford the sports gear all the kids will need?

Chase Blueprint will answer questions like these in an effort to help you better manage your family's finances throughout the school year.

Post your questions below! We will be posting responses to some of your questions in October!

Replies

• jessicasmom1
    September 5, 2012 at 7:57 AM

School clothes I try to explain to DD you only need about 3 pair of jeans a couple pair of black pants then shirts that go with anything work but we got skirts, sweaters , shorts , many things and I still hear "I don't have anything to wear" I understand she will need hoodies, shoes and things yet DD has more clothes than me.

• daerca574
    September 5, 2012 at 7:59 AM

my only question is how do you prepare your high schooler to manage their own finances once they graduate?

• goddess99
    September 5, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Welcome back Chase. I love the question about preparing your high school student to be ready to do their own finances. It's a scary thought. Can't wait to read that advice.

• Bmat
    by Bmat
    September 5, 2012 at 9:07 AM

What about those fund raiser sales. I don't like my child going door to door selling things, should I just buy a case of the items and say that's it?

• kellynh
    by kellynh
    September 5, 2012 at 9:46 AM
    How much Independance is too much for a 12 yo?
  • lalasmama2007
    September 5, 2012 at 9:57 AM
    This is my DD's first year of kindergarten. How much should I try to put aside for unexpected school expenses during the year? Since this is her first year of school, we really don't know what to expect.
  • Madelaine
    September 5, 2012 at 10:22 AM

This one!!

Quoting daerca574:

my only question is how do you prepare your high schooler to manage their own finances once they graduate?

• i.heart.myboys
    September 5, 2012 at 10:35 AM
    This is an awesome question.

Quoting daerca574:

• Leelee1008
    September 5, 2012 at 11:43 AM

what is a good amount  for back to school shopping and expenses for two children?

• michiganmom116
    September 5, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Quoting daerca574:

Excellent question!

The Family Piggy Bank

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts