Cafe Kate
Ask the Expert: Budgeting Throughout the School Year | Get your questions answered by Chase Blueprint!
September 4, 2012 at 12:05 PM

We're very sorry but our expert is not able to answer your questions at this time. Please check out these great posts from our mom, HeatherNYC, to see what she says about budgeting for the school year:

Help Your PTA Save Money

Rethink School Lunch

Get Organized

More budgeting tips from HeatherNYC >>

CafeMom is excited to welcome back Chase Blueprint to the group to answer questions about staying on the straight and narrow through the school year.

With school already in full swing, have you set a budget on school year expenses like lunches, clothes or even class trips? Are you trying to figure out how to save for a family vacation during spring break? It's never too early or too late to budget. Chase Blueprint is here to help you get started or keep you on track for the school year!

You might have questions like:

• How do I talk to my kids about budgeting this school year?
  • How much should I put in an emergency fund for something we're not expecting?
  • Should I set a budget now for all the things coming up this year?
  • How do we afford the sports gear all the kids will need?

Chase Blueprint will answer questions like these in an effort to help you better manage your family's finances throughout the school year.

Post your questions below! We will be posting responses to some of your questions in October!

Replies

• alliesmom112
    September 6, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Our school does community school supplies. Instead of buying supplies at the beginning of the school year the teacher sends notes home with supplies they need through out the year and asks that you return them asap. How can we budget for these expenses since we don't know when or how much they will be?

• alliesmom112
    September 6, 2012 at 10:00 PM

this is us too. 

Quoting lalasmama2007:

This is my DD's first year of kindergarten. How much should I try to put aside for unexpected school expenses during the year? Since this is her first year of school, we really don't know what to expect.

• alliesmom112
    September 6, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Between Dance and school it seems like there is always some kind of fundraising going on. How can we budget for all of those expenses.?

• Rushn311
    September 7, 2012 at 12:38 AM

I like this question because going door to door just isn't safe like it used to be. We let her go to neighbors houses, but that's about it. We ended up buying most of it. LOL

Quoting Bmat:

What about those fund raiser sales. I don't like my child going door to door selling things, should I just buy a case of the items and say that's it?

• babyboxfish
    September 7, 2012 at 3:14 AM

This!!

Quoting alliesmom112:

This is dd's first year in school, how do we budget for all the things coming up like fall pictures, field trips, book fairs, and etc? 

• mrswillie
    September 7, 2012 at 6:28 AM

How much should I keep in a savings?

• momto3isme
    September 7, 2012 at 8:16 AM

How can someone budget when there is NO income coming in?

• meglennox
    September 7, 2012 at 10:17 AM

What would be a good way to start teaching a preschooler budgeting?

• sukainah
    September 7, 2012 at 11:17 AM

How can you explain to younger kids the higher expense of items they want and it's not easy to purchase it, or we cannot purchase it at all.  For example, my 6 year old wants playground equipment from ToysRUs and we could never afford it.  He thinks he has enough in his piggy bank LOL.

• countrygirlkat
    September 7, 2012 at 11:52 AM

We let my 1st grader buy lunch once a week from school.  This is his first year staying full days and having a lunch time at school.  We can pay ahead of time for lunches either by check to the school or via the computer with credit card.  I have been thinking that it may help his responsibillity to have to take the money each time though and hand it over.  Thoughts on this?  I am worried about him loosing it but not sure if he is old enough that I need to trust him on this. 

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN