The Family Piggy Bank

CafeMom Team
Ways to help you save interest on credit card balances
November 3, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Sometimes it's hard to keep track of all of one's bills--and credit card balances are just one of them.  You can try to keep receipts and sift through your mail, but wouldn't it be helpful to have an online tool that could help you track your purchases as well as organize ways to pay off your balances?

We asked CafeMoms who have Chase credit cards to try Chase Blueprint.  It's an online tool available to Chase credit card holders where you can see what you've bought, decide the amount of money you need to pay off your balance and over how many months you want to do it.

How do you usually keep track of your credit card purchases, and how do you decide how to pay down your credit card balances?

^ The CafeMom Team

Replies

• CafeMom Team
    November 4, 2011 at 12:46 PM

These are a few of the moms who used Blueprint to help them save interest on credit card balances.  Read about other moms' experiences with Blueprint in this thread!

grapejelly says:

I LOVE the Full pay option.  I use it for my automatic payments, like my internet bill, home security, phone bill, etc... those go on my credit card  and when i get the credit card bill, it tells me exactly what I need to pay to pay those off that month (that way I don't accumulate interest on those).

meam4444 says:

I think the best part of Blueprint is that if you are unable to follow the plan which you set up...it doesn't have any penalty.  The Blueprint option of "Finish It" has really taken a load of stress off of me.  This really lets me see that I will be able to pay this accumulated balance off in time. 

MamaBear2cubs says:

My favorite part of the many features of Blueprint is it allows you to pick how much you want to pay each month. There is a tool to help you decide which purchases you want to pay off in full so you will not owe interests on those items.

^ The CafeMom Team

• Bonnie
    by Bonnie
    November 4, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Reserving this spot. Will update as soon as I am able. 

Thanks. :)

• MamaBear2cubs
    November 4, 2011 at 4:28 PM

I would like to start by saying thank you to Cafe mom for introducing Blue Print to me. I have been a happy Chase customer for almost 3 years and have had no complaints whatsoever.We currently have 2 credit cards, The Slate credit card and our business card. I love that Blueprint is offered free of charge to Chase card holders! I will start with the sign up process which was super simple and user friendly!!!! I intentionally waited until my husband got home so that he could assist with any issues,thankfully we had none!!! It took a matter of minutes to set up and even offered a customer service number for those interested in speaking to a rep.My favorite part of the many features of blue print is it allows you to pick how much you want to pay each month.There is a tool to help you decide which purchases you want to pay off in full so you will not owe interests on those items!!!! If that was not enough it will also help you pay off big purchases by creating a plan for how much money you'd like to pay monthly and a date you'd like to have it completely paid off!!! I am very impressed with both Chase bank and Chase Blue Print and would recommend all Chase card holders to look into Blue Print for your household or business credit cards!!!!

• KatieBellsMom
    November 4, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Thanks for choosing me for this influencer. I have had my Chase card for years & never really paid attention to the blueprint option until now.

We are lucky enough to usually be able to pay off our cards in Full - so while I may not use this option all the time. I see the total benefit of being able to choose what you pay in full & what gets deferred. I will probably use it for my Christmas items so that I can feel less stressed when the"big Bill" comes in! *ha*

• Anniebel22
    November 4, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Updated: 12-4-11

I have a Chase Freedom card that I only use right now for payments on our XM radio account.  We have saved cash for a patio we are installing, but as a result of this influencer we decided to use our Chase card and the features of blueprint to pay for the patio.  I also asked one of my friends about Chase (I noticed she paid for dinner with her card one day) and she said that she always uses her Chase credit card because of the amazing rewards!

I've looked at the blueprint options and clicked on all the demos to learn more about the features of each.  Here is a picture of what the blueprint options look like (from the chase website):

FULL PAY:  I went to Full Pay and in this part you select purchase categories that will be paid off every month.  I *should* have been using this for my XM Radion payment the entire time!   

SPLIT PAY:  This option lets you divide up big purchase into several payments!  This is what I think we'll use for the patio!  We will have a $150 charge for materials and nearly a $1,400 charge for concrete.  We have enough cash saved, but I want to try out the options.  Since we just poured today I should be able to use this option as soon as my charges appear!  I thought we would use split it, but instead we just paid the entire amount off. 

FINISH IT:  Well after reading more about this it might be better than Split for our patio costs.  You can put either put how much you want to pay each month or how fast you'd like to pay off the purchase.  Since we paid it off right away the finish it, didn't really benefit us.

TRACK IT:  This section lets you see which categories you spent your money in and if you were over budget on anything.  THIS PART IS AWESOME.  We actually used this card to pay for hotels and dinner over Thanksgiving and it put all the charges in the correct category.  The concrete stuff went into home improvement.  Its amazing how it knew exactly what the charges were for!

All in all, Blueprint has multiple options for just about anyone using a credit card.  The Full Pay and Track It are the right fit for me!  I can see how others would find value in the split pay and finish it!  Now I'm looking forward to the rewards that I'll get out of using this card for those purchases!

• grapejelly
    November 5, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Hi everyone,

I have a few credit cards (cough cough... 5 ...cough cough) I have one 15 month old daughter and I've been married for 4 years.

We have quite a bit of debt on credit cards as I have worked on and off and I'm back in school now.  I have 3 cards issued by Chase Bank and use BluePrint on 2 of them.  I LOVE the Full pay option.  I use it for my automatic payments, like my internet bill, home security, phone bill, etc... those go on my credit card  and when i get the credit card bill, it tells me exactly what I need to pay to pay those off that month (that way I don't accumulate interest on those). 

I've also used the FINISH it, to pay off a chunk of debt on one of my cards, it works well since you can pick the amount, how much you want to pay each month or the % you want to pay.  And if you don't pay that whole amount each month, it just extends it for you - it won't count against you.

I've used the Split it option too.  When i have a big purchase and put it on there, like a computer or something, I pick how many months i want to spread it out and it tells me what to pay each month.  That's one of my favorites :)

I really enjoy BluePrint and wish that I had it on all of my cards since it helps me save on interest and choose which purchases I want to pay off right away or split up. 

Especially in these months where I'm not making much money!

Thanks Chase!!

• meam4444
    November 8, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Hi Mommas!  I am so excited to participate with this influencer since I LOVE Chase.  I am a loyal card holder for almost six years.  First off, let me introduce myself, I am a momma to four little ones (ages four years, three years, one year, and one month).  My husband, children and I live out in the country.  So, I order a lot of items off the internet since there isn't much in the town we live in.  I use my Freedom Chase credit card for majority of the time for these purchases. 

I will be honest to say, I have seen the link "Go to BLUEPRINT" many times when logged into my online account, but I never clicked on it until recently.  All I have to say is...if you are a Chase credit card holder and have the option of using Blueprint, do it!  It doesn't cost anything extra to use it, and it is really a great program which is part of just being a loyal Chase credit card holder.

I will give a little description of each of the options in the Blueprint.  The first one is "Full Pay."  This option is where you are give a list of categories, and you and choose the ones which you want to pay in full every month.  And, when you click on them, it will actually look at your last statement and give you an estimated about of how much you would probably be paying if you paid in full.  The next one is "Split."  It shows the four most recent purchases which would then have the highest amount of interest applied to them.  Then, if you choose one, it will bring you to the next step where you set up your payment plan (you choose either how many payments you would like to make or a set amount each statement).  The next one is "Finish It."  This is where is shows your balance with the highest interest.  It allows you to set up a payment plan to pay down that balance in a rate which suits you best.  You have the option of choosing the amount of payments (it even calculates how much would be owed right then and there for you!) or just a set amount you would like to pay every month towards that balance.  The last option is "Track It."  This is where your spending is placed into categories  and then it gives the amount from the last statement and since the last statement of how much is spent.  You also have the option of setting a budget for each category. 

I think the best part of Blueprint is that if you are unable to follow the plan which you set up...it doesn't have any penalty.  I love it because it is really a program to help the card holder to manage credit card debt. 

On Blueprint, I am currently using "Full Pay" and "Finish It."  I was mainly using "Finish It" to pay down my balance, but after I used "Track It," I saw I put a lot of "dining" on my credit card.  I couldn't believe how much eating out we do.  I thought this would be a good way to be able to pay the balance of the dining off versus accumulate interest on it.  And, while doing this, I am using "Finish It" to gradually pay my balance off.  I try to keep my balances low or at zero, but recently, I had a baby and my oldest daughter is having to have a lot of dental work done.  So, our credit card balance has sky rocketed since we are using any extra money to pay for medical bills.  The Blueprint option of "Finish It" has really taken a load of stress off of me.  I always feel like I am knee deep in debt when I have balances on my credit cards, and I feel like I can never get ahead of them once they start.  This really lets me see that I will be able to pay this accumulated balance off in time. 

• LadyBast
    November 8, 2011 at 6:04 PM

I really love the options for the Chase Blueprint, it is a great CC and I have no interest for a certain amount of time then I pay it off and I can pay however I want to do this! I have already signed up on line and that is how I pay the CC and always have paid most all of my bills!

I love the ease of doing this and not mail which to me is now snail mail!

There are so many things that are very nice with Chase but the payment options are great!

Thanks for choosing me to be part of this!

Brenda

• SAHMto_2
    November 9, 2011 at 9:17 AM
    I am a momma of 2, ds is 5 and dd is 2. I have been married to DH for over 9 years.

We originally got our chase card 6 or 7 years ago and have had no complaints. Blueprint just adds to their awesomeness. ;)

We have Slate and it was so easy to sign up for Blueprint. I clicked on all of the options and played with different scenarios just out of curiosity. Prior to this influencer, I used Finish It over the summer. It was great! And very straight forward.

This time around I went with the full pay option for gas and groceries. This way, I can pay off any "needs" that wind up on the card so I can later focus on paying off any birthday/holiday items that are bound to wind up on there this season.

The options even show up on the Chase website so you don't have to wait for your statement to arrive in the mail.
  • KaylaMillar
    November 10, 2011 at 5:53 PM

I'm very gratful to be chosen for this influencer program.  I have been a member of chase for 2 years now and love it! I've seen the "blueprint" ad everytime when i log on and never thought anything about it until now.  The sign up process was very easy. I love how it breaks things up into categories and you can track where your spending the most.  Thanks so much Chase and Cafemom!

The Family Piggy Bank

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts