Stepmom Central

Steamedpuddle30
OT:Do you have cable,Netflix or Hulu?
July 24, 2013 at 5:21 PM
I have been thinking about getting rid of my cable. (My dh would die without it but hypothetically speaking,I am still weighing my options:)

We pay about $220 for directv.. I think that's nuts. I would like to hook up a laptop to the TV and stream tv via the websites if that's possible. (abc family,CBS,ect)

I would keep my Netflix and I am thinking of buying the Apple TV box,jail broken.

What do you use to watch TV? We have 500+ channels and we still complain there's nothing to watch! Lol

Replies

• Steamedpuddle30
    July 24, 2013 at 5:22 PM
    My dh has the football package and all of that fun stuff. That's why it's so expensive.
  • Steamedpuddle30
    July 24, 2013 at 5:25 PM
    My brother has the Apple TV and it looks like he can stream shows and movies pretty well. The con would be if your wi fi isn't working,you don't have anything to watch I guess.
  • runinpinkshoes
    July 24, 2013 at 5:34 PM
    We don't have cable, but we have Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. It's about $23/mo. We have Apple TV, plus our TV has a button built in to automatically connect to Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon.

Between those things, we can watch everything we'd ever want, so I don't see the need for cable. But if your husband likes sports he probably wouldn't feel the same way :)
  • theshanster17
    July 24, 2013 at 5:38 PM
    Netflix for us! If you're looking to cut cable, I used something called PlayOn. They have "channels" which are basically on-demand viewing, but you can add private channels that other people have and some even include streaming sties. The lifetime license is $75 I think.
  • pokey-pwa
    July 24, 2013 at 5:42 PM

We have basic cable (70 channels) and internet and we pay about $65 a month for that.  Then we have the streaming only for Netflix which is like $8 a month.  We use our Wii to stream netflix and if something isnt on there yet we can always look and see if it is on the network sites like CBS, NBC, ABC and all that and watch it on the laptop.  We havent ever tried hooking up the laptop to our TV though...

My brother and sister-in-law have no cable but have Hulu and Netflix and they like it.  I jsut like haveing the local channels for things like news and stuff.

• luckystars2012
    July 24, 2013 at 5:42 PM
    We have all three. However my so works for a cable/phone/internet company so that part is free. If he didnt, we wouldnt have it. At least not all 18 million channels and super fast internet LOL.
  • Lovin_mybaby5
    July 24, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I have comcast with 500 + channels plus on demand and streampix. I feel that way sometimes lol

• aeELE
    by aeELE
    July 24, 2013 at 5:43 PM
    We use Netflix through the PS3 and have the smallest cable package that includes HBO and NFL RedZone (we consider our Game of Thrones and football fixes a necessity).

Really, RedZone is for him, my team is local so they're always on, but DH is not so lucky (who told him to like a team so far away anyway?? Lol). Still, if we moved, I'd feel the same way, so I get it!

Oh and we have Apple TV too.
  • amanda_mom89
    July 24, 2013 at 5:48 PM
    We have a Roku2 box ($40) that we play Hulu on. Netflix has better movie selection and July has better TV selection.

Your picture quality is going to be terrible if you hook up a laptop to play on your TV. I'd use a gaming console or a streaming box type device.

I don't miss cable at all.
  • Derdriu
    by Derdriu
    July 24, 2013 at 5:49 PM

We have Dish at about $110/month, 250-channel package.  I would switch to a lesser package, but there's one channel DH and the SKs watch all the time that they'd lose.  Just one.  Go figure.  But when the household only watches about four different channels (excluding football season), the loss of that one is significant.  As far as abandoning it completely, I'm unaware of a good substitute to access those particular channels/shows plus all the sports channels at comparable costs.  The sports are really the ticket.  DH would die without 24/7 access to football. 

Stepmom Central