Stepmom Central

Featured Posts
amonkeymom
If you have 2 or more kids living in your home...
Amy
June 17, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Is sibling (or step sibling) bullying an issue?

I just read this study about how sibling bullying is under-recognized or considered "normal sibling behavior".

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/06/17/sibling-bullying-is-under-recognized-study-finds/

What are your thoughts on this?

Replies

• MommySabs
    June 17, 2013 at 10:45 AM
    There is a normal amount of sibling bickering. I wouldn't call any of it 'bulkying' (an over used term btw). There is love behind their picking and joking.
  • SassyMom25
    June 17, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Yes, there are times when SS11 and ODD7 are down right mean to each other. Most of the time it is simply saying something rude and uncalled for and if I hear it, I say something. Both kids have been bullied at school or by friends before, so I always bring that up and ask them if it is really necessary to do that to their sibling. I usually have to get onto SS11 more because he is old enough that he says stuff to hurt and then tries to play it off as a joke. It doesn't happen very often and I'm sure most of it is just getting irritated with each other and not knowing how to properly deal with it.

• leegirl_jm
    June 17, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Sibling rivalry is normal behaviour among siblings provided they are all participating and it is enhancing bonding and not tearing it apart. If one child is constantly being the 'victim' then there is a problem, the roles should regularly reverse.

• smarterthanyou
    June 17, 2013 at 11:02 AM

i agree, i was the bullied child growing up, both from my brother, and my stepsiblings, the first step siblings i had and my most recent one's.

i began to feel like I didn't fit in with my own family, even in adulthood my brother can get away with things that get me yelled at.

What it did to me, I shut down to my family, to this day, every 5 years there's a "distance" trend (in the middle of one right now). I was always told i was wrong and to just "get over it" and bite the bullet. As a result, i never learned how to hash out problems within the family and say how i felt in complete confidince that it was between me and the person i was talking to.

i love my family, and always will, but still feel like i don't belong, though i am going to college, it's not the "right" college. i have a career but it's not the "right" career, etc etc etc.

should i talk to my family about it? probably, but when i try, i'm just looking for attention so imo there's no point

• Polkadotted
    June 17, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Yes we have had some of that bullying. It goes beyond normal some days. 

• Steamedpuddle30
    June 17, 2013 at 11:09 AM
    This. I think it helps bond the kids but only when it's even and one isn't bullying all the others or singling one out.

Quoting leegirl_jm:

Sibling rivalry is normal behaviour among siblings provided they are all participating and it is enhancing bonding and not tearing it apart. If one child is constantly being the 'victim' then there is a problem, the roles should regularly reverse.

• Steamedpuddle30
    June 17, 2013 at 11:11 AM
    Ours is only my ss13. He's a big brat. So it's kind of hard when this does happen. If dh tells him to stop,then he won't learn how to "play" with everyone else but then again I don't want him hurting my dds again.
  • MomGoingCrazy78
    June 17, 2013 at 1:48 PM

We have my DD11, DS 10, and SD11. We've never had a bullying issue. Kids will be kids at times, but we, as parents, intervene when necessary. We've taught our kids to stick up for their siblings and/or friends at school if someone is bullying them.

Now my kids will pick on each other and tease each other at times, but that's all it is. They go right back to being friends again within minutes.

• Lorena
    by Lorena
    June 17, 2013 at 1:56 PM
    Sometimes. It is our oldest. He is 15 and can get pretty nasty sometimes. I always step in and tell him it is not appropriate. Otherwise it is normal bickering about who can go in whos room, whos shirt it is, whos hair tie it is, whos turn to do the dishes just normal kid stuff. I expected their to be A lot more when we brought 3 more into the house.
  • faerie75
    June 17, 2013 at 2:45 PM
    My ss10 fights frequently w both ss12 and 5. Quite frankly because he is annoying. Lol he is also very lovable.

My ds15 bickers w them sometimes because he does assholeish things. Sort of bullish but nothing serious. I check his ass.

Stepmom Central

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN