Stepmom Central

Anonymous
Why does a 13 year old need a SAHM? *Sorry for the rant*
by Anonymous
May 10, 2013 at 3:02 PM

I understand SAHM's when children are younger, IE not in school or just starting school, but at 13 most children can be left at home for periods of time and spend the majority of the day at school as it is.  So why does a 13 year old need a SAHM?  What is the benefit?  Especially when the mom can't seem to get the laundry done, groceries purchased, or dinner made...

I think it's been used as a cop out to avoid having to get up in the morning and be a responsible adult like everyone else.  It is ultimately an excuse to stay home, be lazy, watch tv, and get fat while someone else supports the child you should be working to mutually support.

Being a SAHM is for mothers that actually care and are attentive to their children's needs.  It's about the child, not the laziness of the mother. 

Sorry...rant over for now...

Replies

• Birdseed
    May 10, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Not all couples want both parents working.  

What is the problem exactly?

• whatIknownow
    May 10, 2013 at 3:24 PM

why do you care if some mom stays home to take care of her family?

I've had 4 teenagers and they are a lot of work. I spend a total of 6.5 hours a week, just driving my 14yo to dance class and back. When I had mulitple kids living at home I could easily spend 15 hours a week, driving. And this is all within our town. Most of it was between the hours of 7:30 to 5:00 pm. Some of my kids needed a lot of oversight with homework. If someone can afford to stay home with a 13yo, I think it's a great idea. Kids get into all kinds of trouble in the afternoon, after school, in an empty house. 

• Tigress22304
    May 10, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Not your kid, not your problem

• sandeeyo
    May 10, 2013 at 3:53 PM

o.O

• liltigersmom
    May 10, 2013 at 4:14 PM
    Op, do you wish you could be a sahm?
  • PumpkinSpice8
    May 10, 2013 at 4:24 PM
    ....because it is so easy to get a job after being out of the workforce for 13 years....
  • Tracylynn100
    May 10, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Let me guess, you are paying child support to said SAHM

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    May 10, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Hmmmm are you going to pick up the kids from school for me? Are you going to help with home work? Are you going to cook the meals? 

The kids schools are 45mins drive time away from where we live they can't just walk home and there is no school busing in this distract.

I get all the house work done so I don't know who you are talking about and I know most SAHM's are the same as me get the shit done.

I think you are just jelly that some of us can be home for our kids and we don't have to worry about them getting knocked up at 12 and 13 years old.

Quoting Anonymous:

I understand SAHM's when children are younger, IE not in school or just starting school, but at 13 most children can be left at home for periods of time and spend the majority of the day at school as it is.  So why does a 13 year old need a SAHM?  What is the benefit?  Especially when the mom can't seem to get the laundry done, groceries purchased, or dinner made...

I think it's been used as a cop out to avoid having to get up in the morning and be a responsible adult like everyone else.  It is ultimately an excuse to stay home, be lazy, watch tv, and get fat while someone else supports the child you should be working to mutually support.

Being a SAHM is for mothers that actually care and are attentive to their children's needs.  It's about the child, not the laziness of the mother. 

Sorry...rant over for now...

• jamamama00
    May 10, 2013 at 5:27 PM

If someone can afford to not work, then I dont care if they do or not. Not all moms cook, either....working or not. I only had one child for many years and I only went to the store for milk and a few snacks because we ate out every night. There are different circumstances though. If the mom is totally negelecting these responsibilities, that's a different story.

• rebeccasmly
    May 10, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Out of 6 children, 5 of them are teens or almost teens. I am a SAHM and plan on remaining a SAHM until my youngest is out of the house. In fact, DH and I have talked about me never going back to work full time. By the time our youngest is out of the house, we're not going to be young anymore. The talk is now for me to help out with my husband's business and working with some of the charities I have a heart for. Am I not being responsible? I can guarantee you, I am not lazy. In fact, I have a hard time doing nothing. Between home schooling, ECs, church work, charity work and my husband's business, we are extremely busy. Plus I keep my house up, make sure our land is cared for properly, have a large garden and we raise livestock. I know my kids don't need me home anymore but I find joy in staying home with them. As my children near the age of leaving the nest, I am so grateful for the decision to become a SAHM and remain a SAHM.

Stepmom Central