Stepmom Central

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Does anyone else have these issues in their mixed family? This is a really long vent!
by Anonymous
April 1, 2013 at 10:55 AM

This is more of a vent than anything, I'm so aggravated I'm going to explode! Ok just a quick version of background. Im married to my first love who I dated at 14. Things didn't work out back then and we went our seperate ways and got back together about 14 years later. At that time I had an almost 2 yr old. My DH was great with my son they were instant buddies. About a month or so into us dating ( for the second time) he gets a phone call from the girl he had just broke it off with right before we got back together. It wasn't serious, he met her on a dating site and they dated for a month or so. She told him she was pregnant! My first instinct was to run from this relationship because I thought this would be a situation I wouldn't handle well, but I didn't. He was so excepting of my son how could I not be of his. And still he wasn't sure that this was even his child, he wasn't sure he believed her. When he broke it off with her she didn't take it well and actually begged for him to give her another chance he explained he wasn't interested she asked if they could at least continue having sex.  So he started feeling like this was a desperate attempt to get him back. Especially because when she told him she was pregnant he said he wants to be involved in his child's life and to please keep him updated about dr apts and anything else and that was the last time we heard anything from her. My DH tried contacting her everyway possible and she never responded. She lives about an hour and 15 mins away. He left her several voicemails on her cell, home phone, he emailed several times. All with no response for months. We started to think she was lying even more now until, finally he got her mothers phone number and called to see if he could find anything out from her. Her mother said " leave my daughter alone you are nothing but a sperm donner" so at that point we took legal action and we were advised to go to the court house and file for joint custody. We got a letter from her lawyer saying the hadn't been born but we would be notified when he was. That was just the beginning of a long custody battle. 

Anyway, to say the least the next year was difficult on all of us. But the point of me telling you all of this is because my husband has had so many issues with things that went on with my son. For one my mom has always had a special relationship with my son, he was the first grandchild and she used to babysit for the first few months of his life until I was able to put him in daycare. So my mom took things a little to far with spoiling him and overstepping her boundaries as a grandparent. Like over ruling what I said to him, taking him out of time out when I put him n and then telling me he didn't deserve it...etc etc lots and lots more. Well I didn't think it was right, but my husband made such a big deal out of it that we would constantly fight about it.  My mom and I had several fights about this over the years. It put a strain on my relationship with my mom and my husband. I couldn't win. Either way I had someone mad at me. It was a very stressfully and difficult time in my life. I wanted to do what was right, but I couldn't get my mom to see where I was coming from so after a while I would give up trying to put my foot down and get my point across because I felt it was hopeless and it was ruining my relationship with my mom, but then my husband would get so mad at me for letting things go and not saying anything. It was all very hard on me and took a huge toll on me. So as the past few years have gone on the situation with my mom has gotten a little better but not much. So what kills me now is that my husband son was able to start coming for full weekends when he was about 9 mths and now all these rules that he had set for my son, all of which I thought were reasonable things and for the greater good, but I probably would have let slide if he wasn't around ie: sleeping in my bed every night, only eating and drinking at his little table or the kitchen table, getting rid of pacifier etc. all those things he pushed for because he thought they were so important all the sudden weren't important when his son came inthe picture. So of course I started pointing all those things out and we fought like crazy about everything he did that I felt was hypocritical. It got so bad that we had to go to counseling about it. We now have a 3 yr old son together as well. So now my dhs mother is doing the same shit my mother was doing with my son that drove my husband so crazy, but with my Ss. I haven't made too much of an issue about it until last night. Easter was my dhs holiday to have Ss, and my mil offered to go pick up Ss so of course my husband was like yeah! Because the ride to get him sucks it  about a 2 hr round trip. well we waited and waited for her to drop him off at our house and it started to get pretty late, mind u my 3 yr old was waiting to see his brother who he loves to hang out with.  My DH finally texted his mother and said where are u guys? She said oh we are at my house we were about to eat and I was just going to just have him sleep over because her granddaughter was there and spending the night as well. So if he hadn't texted her, she wasn't even going o call and tell us she was having him sleepover? Also his brother was so excited his brother was coming andthen we had to disappoint him with that, but also the fact that he wasn't invited to the sleepover at grandmas house. Not only is that so rude, but so hurtful to me that she doesn't even invite her other grandchild. Do you think my husband even cared? Nope! He told her yeah that's fine he can stay. WTF! I was so annoyed. Why did he get so worked up when my mom did stuff like that and not when his did? He mad life so difficult when that was happening with my mom and now if I say something to him about it, he says Im just trying to pick a fight with him. Ugghhhh! Not to mention his now 5 yr old (my Ss )is so rude to me. Yesterday, at our family event anything I asked him he responded with a rude attitude, do u think my husband said anything? Nope! Am I wrong for getting so frustrated about these things? Is it ever going to get better? I never thought it was gong to be this hard.

Replies

• som610
    by som610
    April 1, 2013 at 11:03 AM

My DH treats my SD different than he treats our kids.. I don't have any advice though. I think they call it guilt parenting or something to that extent. I just point it out to him and don't let him do stuff to our kids (discipline) that he threw a fit about me doing with his daughter. He gets pissed but he gets over it.

• Derdriu
    by Derdriu
    April 1, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Couples counseling.  You and your DH need to get on the same parenting page AND learn to set healthy boundaries with your mothers.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    April 1, 2013 at 11:31 AM

I agree, but we've already done the counseling. I guess we may have to go back. It just seems ridiculous to me that he can't see that he is being a hypocrite without going to counseling and just do what's right himself. 

Quoting Derdriu:

Couples counseling.  You and your DH need to get on the same parenting page AND learn to set healthy boundaries with your mothers.

• ramita
    by ramita
    April 1, 2013 at 1:18 PM
    Try looking into a family therapist and also see if you guys can find any parenting classes. There's not much advice I can give you because unfortunately he's a hypocrite when it comes to his child. Nothing you will ever be able to do about that. Just try to focus on your kids and let DH take care of his...unfortunately that's the only way you'll have some peace while SS is there. Hopefully counseling will help!
  • Rae706
    by Rae706
    April 1, 2013 at 2:53 PM
    Aren't you being a hypocrite? I mean you said that you never really put your foot down with your mom, so why do you expect him to do differently?

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree, but we've already done the counseling. I guess we may have to go back. It just seems ridiculous to me that he can't see that he is being a hypocrite without going to counseling and just do what's right himself. 

Quoting Derdriu:

• Mommyof5247
    April 1, 2013 at 3:10 PM
    This. Absolute necessity to get an impartial 3rd party to point these things out & get DH to really take a look at his part in the situation (and of course, same goes for you).
    Maybe even parenting classes.

When it comes to the grandparents, you & DH should get on the same page first, then sit down with the grandmas TOGETHER, as a team. Also, do ALL pickups, drop offs yourselves even it it "sucks". Your mothers don't sound as though they respect you or see you as adults let alone parents. Have your rules & boundaries agreed on & ready to inform grandmas.

How do you two raise the son you share? How do things work or not work there?

Quoting Derdriu:

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    April 1, 2013 at 3:15 PM
    Maybe its because he only see's his son EOW? Its hard to really parent a child that you barely see...
  • Anonymous
    April 1, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Ummm did you read what I wrote? I did put my foot down with my mother...over and over so much to the point that it was ruining my relationship with my mother.  I also wrote. That my mother and I constantly argued about this until I grew so tired of fighting with her I started to back off. At that point if she didn't respect what I said we just wouldn't go over there until she was ready to start respecting me a little more. So no I am not a hypocrite, I spoke up and fought for what I thought was right.

Quoting Rae706:

Aren't you being a hypocrite? I mean you said that you never really put your foot down with your mom, so why do you expect him to do differently?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Derdriu:

• Anonymous
    April 1, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Who said that he only sees his son every other week? That's not true but even if it were, none of the kids should get special treatment because they arent living here full time. I don't think it's hard to parent him at all if the other 2 kids have to follow the rules then his son should as well.

Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe its because he only see's his son EOW? Its hard to really parent a child that you barely see...

• Anonymous
    April 1, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Quoting Mommyof5247:

This. Absolute necessity to get an impartial 3rd party to point these things out & get DH to really take a look at his part in the situation (and of course, same goes for you).
    Maybe even parenting classes.

When it comes to the grandparents, you & DH should get on the same page first, then sit down with the grandmas TOGETHER, as a team. Also, do ALL pickups, drop offs yourselves even it it "sucks". Your mothers don't sound as though they respect you or see you as adults let alone parents. Have your rules & boundaries agreed on & ready to inform grandmas.

How do you two raise the son you share? How do things work or not work there?

Quoting Derdriu:

Stepmom Central

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts