Stepmom Central

Featured Posts
ManicAttack
One more reason to hate the CS system
January 29, 2013 at 7:11 PM
I was in the hospital a few weeks ago. I had a two day stay and just got all the bills. They wanted me to apply for assistance since I do not have insurance. I am not married and do not make that much as a single person. I would qualify for food assistance as of right now, since I am not working as much as I do during the summer. It's the slow season for our vacation town and I work at a hotel.

Anyway. I open a letter and it says my application was received. I need to provide proof of my income and federal tax returns for this year, which haven't even been accepted yet. THEN, it tells me I also need to provide SO's proof of income and HIS tax return info!

This is the real kicker. It says to list any outgoing payments made every month. So, we did. And at the bottom it asks if any children are in the household. They share custody, but BM gets to claim SS. Then it says CS cannot be listed as outgoing payment.

Then why the hell do people get to claim their children? Basically what they are saying is, You don't have a child and that CS is actually a part of your income and is in your household. But, the parent receiving CS doesn't have to claim CS and ALSO gets the right to say they pay for another mouth to feed BUT THEY DON'T GET HELP DOING SO, since CS is never included in their income.

I can't be put on SO's insurance but the state can say he is responsible for my hospital bills. Such bullshit.

Replies

• DDDaysh
    by DDDaysh
    January 29, 2013 at 7:23 PM
    I am not sure where you are, but in Texas CS received is absolutely counted as income on assistance applications. It was a problem for years because they used to assume people got all the CS they were ordered to get, which often did not happen, but now there is a streamlined state reporting system for it.

I also know that the FAFSA application for adults asks about child support received and includes it as income.
  • Chibi_Kitten
    January 29, 2013 at 7:28 PM

That's weird. I'm in California and all paperwork I have ever dealt with says that the only time my court ordered child support does NOT count as part of my receiving income, is if I am NOT receiving it. Which, of course, I have to provide proof of that I am not receiving anything.

Anyone I've ever spoken to on a legal aspect has told me that receiving child support counts as part of my income or, if I were paying child support, it would count as a bill or outgoing payment or something.

• ManicAttack
    January 29, 2013 at 7:40 PM
    Michigan. CS isn't considered income for the receiving parent, nor is it considered an expense for the paying parent. That money is considered spendable income for the paying parent.

Quoting DDDaysh:

I am not sure where you are, but in Texas CS received is absolutely counted as income on assistance applications. It was a problem for years because they used to assume people got all the CS they were ordered to get, which often did not happen, but now there is a streamlined state reporting system for it.

I also know that the FAFSA application for adults asks about child support received and includes it as income.

• JacyB
    by JacyB
    January 29, 2013 at 10:25 PM

How the hell is he responsible for your hospital bills? Sorry honey, but if youre not married, hes not responsible. You need to go in there and tell them that.

"He has no legal or financial obligation to me. I am single and responsible for my own health care. I can not afford said healthcare on the income for my household, which I am the head of and which consists only of ME."

• pdxmum
    by pdxmum
    January 29, 2013 at 10:28 PM

CS is considered income on federal financial aid forms (FAFSA).  Odd.

• spiritclua
    January 29, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Missouri is the same way. When a state is like this just get used to be victimized cause in their eyes its your fault for being with as they call it a dead beat so this is your punishment.

• abigailsmommy11
    January 30, 2013 at 12:44 AM
    Agreed, the child support system sucks! I hope the rant made you feel better, I rant to my best friend :)
  • Steamedpuddle30
    January 30, 2013 at 12:51 AM
    CS system does suck. I know on taxes it's not income(I think) but as "household income" I'd assume it should be added? I wonder... That adds almost 10k to BM each year. So I wonder...

Ya,idk what more to say then CS system tries and screws the good dads that do pay and can't ever touch the sucky dads that don't pay:/. I'm in Cali.
  • 2bkayleesmommy
    January 30, 2013 at 1:06 AM
    I'm in cali, it's income. But, usually the person paying cs claims the child cause as far as taxes r concerned it's about who spends more money on the kid not who has the kid more. Also... Financially ur so should not be considered for ur financial anything ur not married.
  • ManicAttack
    January 30, 2013 at 1:49 AM
    It is a state thing, not a Federal. Unfortunately, the state makes its own laws as to how they help anyone out. FAFSA is, obviously, Federal, so it is different.

Quoting pdxmum:

CS is considered income on federal financial aid forms (FAFSA).  Odd.

Stepmom Central

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN