Stepmom Central

daddysgf
A SM friend just posted this question on FB
January 27, 2013 at 9:35 PM
She has two young kids and a 12 year old SS..
She asked:
If your almost 13 year old had a cell phone or ipod, should you as a parent know the passcode.

I said yes.

Replies

• VarelaClan
    January 30, 2013 at 12:39 AM
    I know the passwords to my 12 year old and 9 year old's phones. My other 2 are too young for phones. They wouldn't have a phone, if I couldn't get into it.
  • VarelaClan
    January 30, 2013 at 12:41 AM
    Just noticed...this is a stepmom group. I am not a stepmom. This thread is in topic convos right now.

Quoting VarelaClan:

I know the passwords to my 12 year old and 9 year old's phones. My other 2 are too young for phones. They wouldn't have a phone, if I couldn't get into it.

• Steamedpuddle30
    January 30, 2013 at 12:44 AM
    Kind of! Jk! If its on your time and since you are "normal " lol. Then I feel it'd be fine. IMO,I'd just stay clear at looking at anything BM or things related. Then I'd feel like I should lose that right to know pass codes. Lol. Not sayin you would do that but it was drama years back when my yss and I played FarmVille. He told me to feed his animals and I got unto his and he got unto mine. Well BM seen my page and wasn't happy but at the same time,she didn't want my SS letting us have the code. Poor kid was 10 and confused!lol. He just wanted to play the game.

But I think it's ok to ask SS If needed.

Quoting PROGENITOR:

So, SSs mom has said to him that only she can have the password. Does that mean that during the week when he is with us and during the breaks and weekends that he is with us and wants to hop online, on our one family computer, we can say sorry no facebook unless you give your dad the password. Or would that make us assholes?

• weirdkids
    January 30, 2013 at 1:56 AM

nope i dont know her passcodes but what i do know is i pay the bill and if she wants to screw with me she can kiss her phone goodbye.

• kailu1835
    January 30, 2013 at 3:12 AM

Um, that would be a big fat duh.  When my kid is old enough for a cellphone, the cellphone belongs to me, not my child.  I am the one who pays for it.  I will be the one monitering who my child is calling, texting, etc, and my kid will know that I can take it at ANY time and look through it whenever I want.  Whether I choose to exercise that right will depend on my child's trustworthiness.

• Neuro
    by Neuro
    January 30, 2013 at 3:32 AM

I never had a password on my phone or IPhone, never really cared enough to.

• TigressLily
    January 30, 2013 at 3:44 AM

Um, yeah..... sorry but they're still children, if they want to pay their own way completely at 13, living on their own and everything, then they can keep their password secret. Otherwise, it's mine to know as their mother. Doesn't mean I'm going to snoop through it every day etc., either, for those of you that think they deserve privacy. I do, too, to an extent. They're children, not adults.

• GleekingOut
    January 30, 2013 at 5:18 AM
    Lol my DD claimed she needed a password to keep her sisters away from her phone

Quoting sandeeyo:

Our almost 12-year old skids are told that there are no passcodes on anything and if they have to have one, it means that they've got something on there that shouldn't be there.

• KRIZZ25
    by KRIZZ25
    January 30, 2013 at 6:11 AM
    my kids dont have phones..ower rule if u can afford to buy it and keep time on it u can have it ..but i will know the pass word.
  • workoutmom2b1g
    January 30, 2013 at 6:49 AM

This is a no brainer, and my kids aren't even close to having a cell phone.

Stepmom Central