Stepmom Central

daddysgf
A SM friend just posted this question on FB
January 27, 2013 at 9:35 PM
She has two young kids and a 12 year old SS..
She asked:
If your almost 13 year old had a cell phone or ipod, should you as a parent know the passcode.

I said yes.

Replies

• tilly030409
    January 27, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I say hell yes! until they are 18 I get access to all electronics, including fb, twitter, cell phones, emails, game sites, etc! Sorry but that is my policy to protect against the crazy people out there

• PumpkinSpice8
    January 27, 2013 at 9:37 PM
    Yes
  • maria1613
    January 27, 2013 at 9:37 PM
    Yes. When my DD gets old enough I'm going to enforce that of I'm paying for it, I get full access
  • sandeeyo
    January 27, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Our almost 12-year old skids are told that there are no passcodes on anything and if they have to have one, it means that they've got something on there that shouldn't be there.

• baparrot2
    January 27, 2013 at 9:41 PM

If you cant trust them enough to even have the device without a passcode...maybe they should have it yet.

• MommySabs
    January 27, 2013 at 9:57 PM
    Yes. That was rule one when we got dss his cell phone. Dh will have all passwords, and the phone will be subject to dh randomly checking the content.
  • Polkadotted
    January 27, 2013 at 10:33 PM

absolutely!

• PROGENITOR
    January 27, 2013 at 10:33 PM

His dad should know the password. SM doesn't need to know, but dad does. When SS first got a FB he said that his mom said only she could have the password. I think maybe, sometimes.....at least I hope this is what happens, the CP will say "Don't give out your password to anyone other than me" and it is percieved by the kid that literally, and they feel like they aren't allowed to tell the OP. But that doesn't mean that one parent came out and said you can't have your OP know, they just aren't considering the OP at all.

• soonergirl980
    January 27, 2013 at 10:36 PM

I think a parent should especially at that age. However, SP does not. We have all our kids although I will say we rarely check it they haven't given us any reason to.

• Bella14308
    January 27, 2013 at 10:43 PM
    I told my oldest dd that her father and stepmother do not need to know her password for facebook. i set it up. i control her friends etc on it. i am the only perdon who needs her password.

Quoting PROGENITOR:

His dad should know the password. SM doesn't need to know, but dad does. When SS first got a FB he said that his mom said only she could have the password. I think maybe, sometimes.....at least I hope this is what happens, the CP will say "Don't give out your password to anyone other than me" and it is percieved by the kid that literally, and they feel like they aren't allowed to tell the OP. But that doesn't mean that one parent came out and said you can't have your OP know, they just aren't considering the OP at all.

Stepmom Central