Stepmom Central

Featured Posts
Raspberry393
can someone explain to me
November 17, 2012 at 11:07 PM
Negotiating with a child about taking meds they HAVE to take.
I fully understand giving children choices in their life. I believe somethings-like taking meds- are not something a child gets to choose. Pretending as if it is a choice makes no sense to me at all.
Someone please explain.

Replies

• soonergirl980
    November 17, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Depends what the meds are. DS is 13 he has ADHD he wanted to try off his pill we agreed one quarter as long as his grades didn't drop but they did so he is back on.

• Raspberry393
    November 17, 2012 at 11:18 PM
    That makes sense to me, but my SD is 7 and requires meds to breath. It's not a choice if she takes them.
  • Tigress22304
    November 17, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Sd11 takes meds for chronic uti's-she hates HATES taking them-but we tell her-do ya wanna pee in pain? NO?! Take the meds!

Same with her asthma meds-it's a nasty business but it's necessary.

• DDDaysh
    by DDDaysh
    November 17, 2012 at 11:41 PM

lol...  is it something you can actually get into the child?  

My SD used to have this terrible medicine she had to take.  At first they gave us a liquid form, and it came in these little bottles that looked like lab bottles.  She flat out just wouldn't take it.  Well, one tast could tell you why!  

We finally had to work with the doctor about giving her a pill form instead, even if she was "too young" for pills.  

• MommySabs
    November 17, 2012 at 11:47 PM
    I am imagining what it would be like to get ds9 to take medicine is he absolutely had to- it would be nightmare! I've tried everything with him bu t everything makes him throw up!
    That being said if it was pertinent to his ability to breathe it wouldn't be an option. It would be taken whether he wanted to or not.
  • luckystars2012
    November 18, 2012 at 12:15 AM
    Who is doing the negotiating with her?

• LittleMama2012
    November 18, 2012 at 8:52 AM
    This. And why would anyone negotiate with a child about things they have to do.

Quoting luckystars2012:

Who is doing the negotiating with her?

• grumpyboston
    November 18, 2012 at 9:02 AM
    Never had this issue my children don't fight to take meds they know they need them
  • chanizen
    November 18, 2012 at 10:39 AM
    If its a pill put it in a spoonful of jelly. If not, walk your butt over and take the inhaler.

And, hand this off to dh. He wants I make it a negotiation, he negotiates. With his time and his money.
  • SammyJK
    by SammyJK
    November 18, 2012 at 10:46 AM
    Who is negotiating?

Stepmom Central

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email