Featured Posts
Annie_21
Whats wrong with Public Schools these days!
November 10, 2013 at 11:53 PM

I am so afriad of sending my children to public schools. The public school system in this country is slowly getting worse and worse, and kids really are not learning anything anymore. They just learn the basics, they really dont learn the real in depth stuff like they should be learning. They should be learning about EVERYTHING, and what not to repeat in history, and what to look for, but I am seeing kids for history class coloring maps, and that is all they do is color maps! MAPS!! What kind of history is that, coloring a freaking map.

I also read on here that they are no longer teaching cursive. WHY!! Our kids should learn how to write in cursive, just like they should know their ABC's.

Then you see kids on the Free Lunch Program, all the while their parents are collecting 300-1000 dollars in food stamps, WHY... They are already getting free food from the government, why are they getting even more free food from the government. Isnt that considered double dipping.

And now a days, public schools label kids. Public schools are like factories and they know the percentage of kids that will be successful, the kids that will drop out, the kids that will end up in blue collar jobs, and the ones that will end up working at McDonalds, and they focus more on the kids they BELIEVE will do successful, and throw away the kids they think will fail. I mean with this mentality no kids will be set up for success.On top of that a majority public schools do nothing to help with bullying, and usually play favorites and the bully gets away with it and the victim gets blamed!

Finally the teachers unions are running wild with your TAX DOLLARS... All the while they are keeping BAD teachers. Teachers with low test scores, those commited of crimes, etc. All the while you are paying these horrible teachers and funding their protection with YOUR TAX DOLLARS!!

Any one else see something wrong here with the failed public school system and how our government has failed us, or is it just me!?

Replies

• katski418
    November 11, 2013 at 4:59 PM

You are truly right, and right to be angry about it.  Luckily I am a grandmother and greatgrandmother, and no longer have kids to educate.  I fear greatly for those children in school today.  This is not the world we grew up in, and the country is on a downhill slide.

My son has friends who are not the brightest, but who opted to home school their children.  They and the kids learned well, and it was not as hard as she had thought it would be.  Today the oldest is in college and the other brother is in the car repair business with his dad.  AND THEY ARE NICE, WELL ADJUSTED KIDS. 

Stick to you guns in this and make sure your children learn more about the real world and what happened in our world's historic past.  Don't expect the schools to be happy about it because they are part of the dumb down America movement.  A less informed voter will vote with the other sheep and make it easier to rule the country.  Make a game out of history and geography.  Take the children with you when you go to vote, and talk to them about the two parties that control the country.  Encourage them to look at past presidents or read biographies of them.  An excellent book is Bill O'Riley's book Killing Lincoln.  I was good at history and learned a lot reading the book.  Maybe they can form a club or group to foster interest among their peers. 

Good luck and God bless.

katski418

• Annie_21
    November 11, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Thank you for understanding. Everything in this country is on a down hill slope! The education should have never been taken over by the feds, and should have kept the responsibility up to the communities and states to pay to help the local school, the government should not have anything to do with funding public schools at all.

Another author I like is Glenn Beck, he writes some good stuff...

Quoting katski418:

You are truly right, and right to be angry about it.  Luckily I am a grandmother and greatgrandmother, and no longer have kids to educate.  I fear greatly for those children in school today.  This is not the world we grew up in, and the country is on a downhill slide.

My son has friends who are not the brightest, but who opted to home school their children.  They and the kids learned well, and it was not as hard as she had thought it would be.  Today the oldest is in college and the other brother is in the car repair business with his dad.  AND THEY ARE NICE, WELL ADJUSTED KIDS. 

Stick to you guns in this and make sure your children learn more about the real world and what happened in our world's historic past.  Don't expect the schools to be happy about it because they are part of the dumb down America movement.  A less informed voter will vote with the other sheep and make it easier to rule the country.  Make a game out of history and geography.  Take the children with you when you go to vote, and talk to them about the two parties that control the country.  Encourage them to look at past presidents or read biographies of them.  An excellent book is Bill O'Riley's book Killing Lincoln.  I was good at history and learned a lot reading the book.  Maybe they can form a club or group to foster interest among their peers. 

Good luck and God bless.

katski418

• SpiritFortress
    November 11, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I agree there are big things wrong with our school system. 

• slashteddy
    November 11, 2013 at 5:17 PM
    Everything has always sucked. It's nothing new. School was "going downhill" when I started going, and people are still saying so. First people complain about one class, so they remove it; a few years later they're complaining the class isn't there anymore. They can't win.
  • Liastele
    November 11, 2013 at 5:20 PM

How old is your child? I think you have it backwards. If a child is average or gifted, they are ignored because the school focuses on bringing the difficult children up to average so they can show better testing scores. It's all about testing. If you are smart, you are ignored.

• LoriAnn87
    November 11, 2013 at 10:31 PM

The public schools in my area are really great and have been ranked number one but what sucks is the school my son goes too they are talking about closing it because enrollment is very low.

• alc4evermom
    November 12, 2013 at 5:08 PM

I think we have always been lied to or at least, brushed over the truth, when it comes to school.  We were taught the wonders and glory of Christopher Columbus instead of what he really did, and never learned about Japanese internment camps.  Public school is a tool to raise good consumers, who should follow a protocol or be labeled weird or disruptive, followed by being pushed into taking mind altering drugs.  I guess I was lucky that I grew up in a time where that wasn't such a tradition and I got to be myself.  It just sucks because in school they make you copy and paste the answers that they want you to say are right when you may feel that they are wrong.  I TOTALLY agree with you on the cursive writing. 

• mskeeinmd
    November 13, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I agree with some of your argument and felt that way when I had my son.  I'm in my late 30's and public schools didn't prepare me for college.  I went to a great public school and was in a Talented and Gifted Program with AP classes and I still felt that there was something missing when I went to college. Teachers taught you how to think like them in public school and not analytically.  In college I learned that I didn't have to agree with the argument I just had to be able to support my point of view.  This is not a new problem, but a systematic decline in our educational system that has been occurring over years.  I am not in education, but both my mother and my husband's mother have doctorate's in Education and have taught at the collegiate level and support education.

However, my son is in a great public school in my county because I got into a French Immersion school (one of two) in my county through the lottery.  We had already picked out a terrific Catholic school (we are not Catholic) with small classroom sizes, great teachers and a wonderful principal.  I went to the Orientation at his French Immersion school and was moved by the Principal.  She's a Physicist from Paris who was recruited for the job.  She believes and focuses on STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics).  She's wonderful and I support her and the school.  I am one parent committed to making sure that this school that is being paid for by my taxes is supporting my son's needs.  I am at every meeting, joined the PTSA and reached out to the principal to do an hour of code during National Code week (www.code.org).  My son doesn't get free lunch because we make too much money, but I don't knock kids who do because let's be real, no child should ever be hungry.  There are many things that fail children, but if you are not active and trying to make it better then you will be failing your kids too.  Find what works for you and your family, but remember that it takes a village to raise a child and you are still a part of that village whether you home school, choose private or Catholic school or send your child to public school.

• idunno1234
    November 14, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Wow, you got that generalizing thing down pat.

• EarlGrayHot
    November 15, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Whoa there.  You're lumping every school into a pot with a minority of bad apples.  ALL schools are not like that.  My daughter passed through the same public school system I passed through years ago and both of us are ok.  And teachers' unions are not the problem; our former idiot governor tried to blame teachers' unions for problems HE created by taking away funding for education.  Your depiction of them is not correct.  Don't listen to right wing idiots who lie through their teeth every time they open their mouths.  Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh are two of the worst and most ignorant amoung them.  They wouldn't know the Truth if it bit them in the ass.  Anti-any union bias is a cornerstone of the exreme right wing in this country.  They would have you forget that without unions our kids would not be getting an education at all-they would be working beside us in unsafe jobs with low wages and no benefits. 

Plus, it's  a parent's job to teach manners and help with education; those jobs do not fall upon schools alone.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts