The Lounge

Featured Posts
olleo
A Moment You'll Never Get Back
by olleo
March 18, 2013 at 7:44 PM
I read a post this morning where the OP casually mentioned she had been drinking and driving recently and it has inspired me to write this post. October 31, 2008 started as a typical day for my family. Those of us with children were bustling them off to school and thinking about all the things we had to get done in order to take them trick or treating. My cousin whose name I won't reveal, had big plans. He had gained custody of his two year daughter the week before and intended to let her t & t with another cousin that was the same age. That meant a surprise visit to my grandmother. At 6:30 that morning he was on his way to work. He waited on traffic so he could make a left turn. While he sat there someone still drunk from the night before plowed into him, pushing him head on into oncoming traffic. The impact broke his neck and trapped him in the truck. While firefighters tried to cut him out, he was stuck there, suffering before he finally passed away. He was 28 years and two days old. He left an entire host of family behind that still misses him. His daughter, that's now six years old, has to share other people's memories of her daddy because she was too little to remember her own. His mother still wears his wristwatch. All of us were forever changed by his senseless and untimely death. Next time you want to have a drink and let your hair down, make sure you have a designated driver to see you home safely. When you drink and drive it isn't only your life you're taking chances with. It's everybody else that's on the road with you. It could be somebody's son or daughter, husband or wife, and yes even somebody's cousin.

Replies

• offrdngal
    March 18, 2013 at 7:52 PM

On September 12, 1991, my friend and her volleyball teammates were going home (they were only about a 1/2 mile from my friends house) when the van they were in was rear-ended.  It immediately burst into flames.  Everyone in the van was trapped.  The car that rear-ended them was stuck under the van, which caused the van's gas tank to explode.  Everyone in the van burned to death...an agonizing, painful death.  The woman (who was pregnant) in the car that hit them, also died on the scene.  The only survivor was the drunk s.o.b. that was driving the car that hit them.   That man killed 8 people and one fetus and destroyed many, many, many more lives that night.

• olleo
    by olleo
    March 18, 2013 at 8:24 PM

That is awful.  I hope the driver went to prison.  

• offrdngal
    March 18, 2013 at 9:31 PM
    Quoting olleo:

That is awful.  I hope the driver went to prison.  

Yes, he did. If I remember correctly, he got 7 years for each count.

• Tinkergirl1997
    March 18, 2013 at 10:17 PM
    I don't think Prison justifies the pane and the lost the ones left behinds feels, day in and day out.
  • starfire59
    March 18, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Well said! My condolences on your loss.

• artistmom889
    March 19, 2013 at 9:53 AM

August 4th, 1995 was the last time I had lunch with my fraternal twin.She was going to a party (reluctantly) with her fiance that night, and  since she didn't want to go, I tried to get her to come with me to spend time with our parents, and maybe hang out a little. Early the next morning we found out that she was dead.... because she had allowed her intoxicated fiance to drive her Mustang.She was 25 years old, healthy, and looking forward to her wedding day.

I went on about this to show you I can relate.

• hayliedlr
    March 19, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I used to have to take the keys from one of my friends constantly.  It was so bad that I would take them before she would start drinking.  She always had an urge to drive while drunk.  She would also try to get them from me after she had been drinking and I would have to hide them in off the wall places because she would try to hunt them down, the freezer, dryer etc...

She had been in 2 accidents because of drinking luckily not involving other cars but still.  She did finally get her license suspended and she was on house arrest at one point.

• olleo
    by olleo
    March 19, 2013 at 11:56 AM

My heart goes out to you ladies as well. Maybe by telling our stories we can convince at least one person not to do this foolish, dangerous thing.  

• Caitlin10081989
    March 19, 2013 at 3:19 PM

I am sorry for your loss.

• Thelmama
    March 19, 2013 at 4:11 PM

My cousin was killed by a drunk driver when I was 13. She was 19.  The guy that was drunk had no injuries. He hit her VW (classic now) and demolished it and the lives of the people inside. 2 were killed, 2 survived. They got my cousing out of about a 3 foot by 3 foot space........yeah.........he destroyed lives and never paid for it. That was many years ago. I am now 45.

The Lounge

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN