The Lounge

Featured Posts
Cafe AmyS
What would you do if a stranger disciplined your child?
February 4, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Store Clerk Arrested for Spanking Customer's Misbehaving Boy -- 25 Times With a Belt

Posted by Kiri Blakeley on February 4, 2013 

Hey, you know those kids who run around the store, wreaking havoc? Wouldn't you just like to smack them sometimes? Well, most of us think about it -- but a Dollar Store clerk in Georgia actually did it. And now, as you can imagine, she's in trouble. The clerk reportedly got fed up with the 8-year-old boy, who was tearing up her store, so she called him a "demon." The boy admits he then said, "You want to see bad? I'll show you bad," and threw a cookie at her. But this was the wrong store clerk to throw a cookie at.

According to the boy, the female clerk then grabbed a belt and smacked him 25 times across the backside. Reportedly, surveillance tape captured the incident, but the tape hasn't been released.

In an interview, the boy, Logan Ivey, said, "It was really, really painful. Nobody should have that kind of torture. It hurt." He also calls it "heartbreaking," and seems mostly concerned that this happened two days before his birthday.

The store clerk was arrested. Now, I'm certainly not saying anyone has the right to hit another person's child. But we do talk a lot about how it "takes a village" to raise a child -- and one villager took it too far. Hitting a kid with a belt 25 times -- if indeed that's what happened -- is flat-out wrong, and not at all the right of the clerk or of anyone else. Not even the parent if you ask me. Twenty-five times is excessive. (I wonder if the boy had marks? He doesn't mention that in the interview.)

I also find it odd that both parents were reportedly in the store with the boy at the time of the incident -- yet say they didn't witness it. Which means the kid was left to run around with anyone looking after him for quite awhile.

But a lot of people are leaving the disciplining of their kids up to strangers. Because they don't do it themselves. If you're not going to teach your kid how to behave in public, and then you're going to send them out into public, you can't be entirely surprised when the public doesn't respond favorably.

Yesterday, on a day when I was trying to get some work done, a parent sent four kids out into the alleyway beneath my window to play. Mind you, it's not a yard. There, they screamed at the top of their lungs for a good hour before I opened my window and asked them to keep it down. They looked at me like I had two heads. Probably went home and complained about the "meanie" neighbor.

Parents, discipline your kids. Before someone else does.

What would you do if a stranger disciplined your child?

Replies

• TeamTARDIS
    February 4, 2013 at 1:53 PM
    While I wouldn't hit a child with a belt I would tell them they were being an spoiled little brat, find his parents and ask them to keep a hold on him. 8 is way too damn old for this type of behavior. Parent your damn kids.
  • EireLass
    February 4, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I don't whack kids, but I definately speak to them when they're acting like jerks. Yes, I'm that strange person in the store.

• MrsRinehart2010
    February 4, 2013 at 2:18 PM

beat the iving hell out of them( the stranger lol). I be darn if some one else lay hand or any thing on my child lol

• WAHUHeather
    February 4, 2013 at 6:14 PM

I would be very upset if someone stepped in to discipline my child. It is not their place. My child is my responsibility and the other people should confront me about a problem if there is one and not my child. There are other circumstances regarding my statements though. My child has had a rough past and I am protective of her when it comes to discipline. She is disciplined and expected to behave. I just don't allow certain types of discipline.

• Kchellejones330
    February 4, 2013 at 7:06 PM
    My husband & I would both be going to jail... straight like dat.
  • sjump25
    by sjump25
    February 4, 2013 at 8:32 PM

People don't have the chance to discipline my children because I am always there to do it if it needs to be done.  If someone did try to discipline my child right in front of me I would let them know to back off.. I can handle it.  Having said that... when parents AREN'T around and children are not behaving I will say something to that child.  I would NEVER put my hands on a child though.

• Kris_PBG
    February 5, 2013 at 3:02 AM
    This.

Quoting sjump25:

People don't have the chance to discipline my children because I am always there to do it if it needs to be done.  If someone did try to discipline my child right in front of me I would let them know to back off.. I can handle it.  Having said that... when parents AREN'T around and children are not behaving I will say something to that child.  I would NEVER put my hands on a child though.

• Misha1204
    February 5, 2013 at 3:18 AM
    I'd discipline them. I got it!
  • Misha1204
    February 5, 2013 at 3:20 AM
    The authorities would be the least of their problems!

Quoting Misha1204:

I'd discipline them. I got it!

• kayla4507
    February 5, 2013 at 3:22 AM

Depends on what they did. It would range from me telling them its not their business, to hitting them, to calling the cops on them. It all depends. 

In the mentioned case, I would go all crazy on them. NO ONE would beat my child. 

The Lounge

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts