The Lounge

Featured Posts
Jzm0mmy
Desperate need of 2nd opinion!
by Jzm0mmy
January 20, 2013 at 3:49 PM

My son is 5 months old and has been on every similac formula they make and has had an allergic reaction to all of them. Advanced and Sensitive made him puke waterfalls out his nose and everything, and soy made him spit up frequently along with constipating him really bad...alimentum helps him poop but giving him the powder makes him spit up alot and gives him diarreah and giving him the ready to feed constipates him and with both he spits up alot and has really dry cheeks like leather. I spoke with a specialty doctor who said he needed EleCare made by Abbot and with being on that for 4 days now he hasn't pooped, when he tries its just pebbles and he broke out with a rash from his neck up along with frequent spitting up also. The doctor said that was the last formula we could try but after doing research online I found Enfamil Nutramigen....has anyone had these problems with their little one or tried this formula? I'm stuck and don't know what else I could do for my little guy so any advice will help!!

Replies

• hayliedlr
    January 20, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I don't have experience but I hope your little guy gets some relief.  poor thing and poor mama

• lastasya
    January 20, 2013 at 6:28 PM

you  shold  git    petohshor....   and  put    it  ithe  cup.

• bridgetgrace89
    January 20, 2013 at 6:31 PM
    Maybe you should check out kidswithfoodallergies.com I've seen posts on there about this. My daughter has food allergies but did okay with soy formula. HTH!
  • marchantmom06
    January 20, 2013 at 6:36 PM
    We use nutramagin. And love it. My daughter is only 7 weeks and has a sever allergy. So it works for us. Im not sure why your dr was so hell bent on similac. We have always had a problem with it. Good luck with whatever you do! Maybe a spoon full of cereal in the bottle will help thicken it so it sits better in his stomach.
  • cats911
    by cats911
    January 20, 2013 at 6:42 PM

yep, I was going to use formula for my child when I worked and then breast feed at home.  Had so many problems, they told me there was no such thing as allergic reaction to formula.  Later we found out she did have a corn allergy.

My grandson when he was born was breastfed until she decided to go back to work, so we started him on formula, he ended in the hospital, we tried soy, he ended in the hospital.  She said that was that, and quit her job.  It was more important to feed the baby.  She pumped but could not pump enough for him to have regular bottles for him.

Breastfeeding would probably help him.  There are now breastmilk  banks for premies and those who need breastmilk.  You can contact the LeLeche society or your local hospital.

Hope this helps.

• BrittSam2011
    January 20, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I gave my kids goat milk. It comes in powdered, condensed, or regular in a quart or half gallon carton. I used the powder with my boys. It doesn't cause the same reaction as cows milk. I HIGHLY recommend it. Just use it like formula. You can get it at Sprouts in powdered and Vons has it in the carton. Or you can order it online.

www.meyenberg.com

made in the USA. :)

The website has a section on locations to buy it.

• Kris_PBG
    January 20, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I have no idea - could your little guy qualify for a script for milk from a milk bank?

• stillkim
    January 20, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Has your baby been checked for reflux/GERD. My son has had it since he was a baby. He takes a medication for it and he doesn't spit up anymore. He is 9 now but if he's not on the med he still has reflux (spit up).

It can damage the lining of their throat.  As the doc about it just to make sure.

• merryvoice
    January 21, 2013 at 10:35 AM
    My 6 month old has been on Nutramigen from almost the beginning. It's pre-digested so their sensitive tummies don't have to work so hard to digest it. It's really expensive but worth it to us, because it's been the best thing for her.
  • Kodysmommy928
    January 21, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Have you ever considered banked milk?  It might be worth speaking with his pedi about.

The Lounge

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN