jb81supergirl
How to wean 3 and 5 year old from co-sleeping, have a new baby. - PIOG
December 8, 2012 at 8:49 AM

I have an almost 5 (dd) year old, 3 (ds) year old and an almost 4 (dd) month old and I need to "train" hte older kids to sleep on their own (they share a king). At the moment I lay with them till they fall asleep then creep out of the bed and into the other room with the baby (my poor husband sleeps in "our" bed on his own). They both will at one point in the night wake and come crawl in bed with me, but its not safe for the baby, good for my sleep, etc. and I hate then having to get up with the baby and get in the other bed, sometimes back and forth several times in the night. I don't like the idea of them chasing me, like mommy's trying to get away from them, and I really need the sleep. Has anyone had experience with this?

Replies

• amonkeymom
    Amy
    December 8, 2012 at 6:29 PM

I coslept, but not to that extent.  Maybe the moms on the toddlers group will have some advice for you.

• Venae
    by Venae
    December 8, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I always wondered how you ended cosleeping - I mean, after 3 orf 4 kids the bed has got to get too crowded for anyone to get good sleep.  And I really want an answer to this - do you go to bed at the same time as your kids?  Some kids are in bed at 8:00 - and if you don't go w/them, then what's the point if they are in the bed alone?  

• littlemoments99
    December 8, 2012 at 9:37 PM

You could try to get a toy and tell them that the toy will always be there to protect them. Or a night light that sits on the night stand and maybe changes colors. Then they can press it if they wake up at night (because it should go off after 45 min. or so) 

You could always do what supernanny does. Just keep putting them in bed until they stay there. Your kids are going to cry. They can't always be happy. You just have to sometimes give them tough love. They will cry and maybe say they don't like you, but it's ok. The next day they will love you again, or maybe even the next minute. Kids forget. They just want their way and they have to learn that their way is not always the best way. We as parents have to show our kids that they are not in charge. 

• hayliedlr
    December 8, 2012 at 11:08 PM

no idea but good luck

• zeesmuse
    December 9, 2012 at 9:00 AM

You should have never started co-sleeping in the first place. Sorry. I'm not an advocate of it. At all.

that said, explain to them they are ready for their own beds. You're going to have some sleepless nights, but every time they get in YOUR bed, pick them up and take them back. Eventually, they'll stay.

• themomof3boys
    December 9, 2012 at 9:08 AM
    Put a mattress on the floor by the bed where you are sleeping and tell them that is where they have to sleep. It works, it takes some time but it does work and eventually move the mattress further from the bed till it is in their room.
  • AleaKat
    by AleaKat
    December 9, 2012 at 9:11 AM
    Completely agree.
    My kids slept on their own from day one.

Quoting zeesmuse:

You should have never started co-sleeping in the first place. Sorry. I'm not an advocate of it. At all.

that said, explain to them they are ready for their own beds. You're going to have some sleepless nights, but every time they get in YOUR bed, pick them up and take them back. Eventually, they'll stay.

• zeesmuse
    December 9, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Same here. Mine slept in a cradle in our room for 5 weeks - until we resumed sexual relations. Once we resumed sexual relations, he went into HIS room in HIS crib. i had a monitor, it was one room over, the doors were open. No big deal. He's 25 now, very secure and confidant in himself, he knows how much he's loved and always has.

Quoting AleaKat:

Completely agree.

Quoting zeesmuse:

• AleaKat
    by AleaKat
    December 9, 2012 at 9:17 AM
    Mine had their own room from day one as well. They are 5 and 3 now and very secure and independent.

Quoting zeesmuse:

Same here. Mine slept in a cradle in our room for 5 weeks - until we resumed sexual relations. Once we resumed sexual relations, he went into HIS room in HIS crib. i had a monitor, it was one room over, the doors were open. No big deal. He's 25 now, very secure and confidant in himself, he knows how much he's loved and always has.

Quoting AleaKat:

Completely agree.

Quoting zeesmuse:

• katiew2012
    December 9, 2012 at 9:50 AM

I have to say this does not necessarily work. My cousin slept in his mom's room, on her floor, until he was 13. She kicked him out of her bed when he was 4, but let him sleep on the floor. She then made him sleep in his own bed when he was 6, but he'd get up in the middle of the night and sleep on her floor.

Quoting themomof3boys:

Put a mattress on the floor by the bed where you are sleeping and tell them that is where they have to sleep. It works, it takes some time but it does work and eventually move the mattress further from the bed till it is in their room.