The Lounge

Featured Posts
Kris_PBG
My car, my rules.
December 7, 2012 at 12:21 AM
So we met up with ds1's best friend on Sunday.

We met at the library with him and his mom ( who is a good friend of mine), then went to lunch together , then a playground.

He chose to ride with us in my minivan for one ride in between locations. Ds1 rides in a booster, his friend rides in nothing. There is no booster law in my state. Stupidly, kids can ride in a seat with no booster or car seat at age 4. (ETA: the boys involved here are 8, I mention age 4 to give a sense of the car seat " culture - or lack there of- in my state)

Anyway, what he does in his moms car is their business. I offered him the option to sit in our extra lbb. He said no. He is a larger child than ds2, but I was horrified when I turned and saw how unsafe he was due to how the belt hit him.

I was already driving when I saw and I kicked myself for not checking him before we left.

I nicely told him "the seatbelt might fit you fine in your mom's car, but it does not in mine. I want to make sure you are safe, so if you want to drive with us to the park after lunch, you will need to use a booster".

I do not believe that he is safe in his moms car with no booster, but that is her call when he is on her watch.

I am not going to knowingly drive a child in an unsafe manner in my car.

So annoyed at myself that I did not check first!

How do you handle similar situations?

Replies

• roughneckwife10
    December 7, 2012 at 12:22 AM
    Bump
  • bigmama423
    Liz
    December 7, 2012 at 12:26 AM

I probably wouldn't have taken him with me in the first place. Or at the beginning would of said something like, "oh he needs a booster to ride with me.".

• VintageWife
    December 7, 2012 at 12:28 AM

My car, my rules. At 4 yrs old, he'd DEFINITELY be in a booster. I've never heard something so unsafe in my life!!!

• Kris_PBG
    December 7, 2012 at 12:31 AM
    Quoting bigmama423:

I probably wouldn't have taken him with me in the first place. Or at the beginning would of said something like, "oh he needs a booster to ride with me.".

I knew we had an extra lbb, so I knew I could accommodate him when ds1 asked if he could ride with us. I was planning on checking him before I pulled out, but I had an issue with ds2 that totally distracted me. Luckily it was only a 1 minute ride through a large parking lot.

My son begged him to ride with us to the park after lunch. He refused.

Oh well.

Knowing this kid, that will be his first and last drive in our car.

Oddly enough, all of the rest of the kids who do not ride in boosters jump at the chance to ride in one in our car, so I was caught off guard by his refusal (and then ds2 got me further distracted!!)
  • Kris_PBG
    December 7, 2012 at 12:32 AM
    [quote name="VintageWife" id="0"]

My car, my rules. At 4 yrs old, he'd DEFINITELY be in a booster. I've never heard something so unsafe in my life!!!

[/quote

He's not 4 - he is 8...

I was just citing our crappy lack of safety laws.
  • Kris_PBG
    December 7, 2012 at 12:44 AM
    Quoting VintageWife:

I should also add, at 4 both of my boys were harnessed.

Ds1 moved into a booster a little past 6.

Both boys are now 8.
  • stillkim
    December 7, 2012 at 2:41 AM

I would not drive another child in my car. Things happen, like forgetting to check a belt. That could have been a problem. My children ride with me. Other parents are in charge of their children. That's how I handle it.

• RubyQ
    by RubyQ
    December 7, 2012 at 6:43 AM

This is about more than your rules. It's about your financial security. If something had happened and that child got his throat cut by the seat belt, or died, you would be at fault and liable. 

At least now you know to NEVER let your child ride in his mom's car. If she doesn't care to do the optimal safety things for her son, what makes you think she's going to stop and do them for your son while he's in her care? The absent booster seat could be a good sign of the larger picture regarding details to safety when in her care.

• Kodysmommy928
    December 7, 2012 at 6:58 AM

I haven't had that come up yet, but I would do the same thing if I had another seat available.  Kody is noticing that when I drop him off for school, no other children are in booster seats.  Seriously, not a one.  Half of them even get out of the front seat in the car!  Thankfully he knows that it is best for his safety. 

• Kris_PBG
    December 7, 2012 at 4:13 PM
    Quoting stillkim:

I would not drive another child in my car. Things happen, like forgetting to check a belt. That could have been a problem. My children ride with me. Other parents are in charge of their children. That's how I handle it.

Now that ds1 is older there are some friends I carpool with as having 2 kids in sports at once gets complicated.

I have not had the need before this year, but we are spread thin at times, so we "get by with a little help from our friends!" :)

The Lounge

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN