Featured Posts
Kris_PBG
My car, my rules.
December 7, 2012 at 12:21 AM
So we met up with ds1's best friend on Sunday.

We met at the library with him and his mom ( who is a good friend of mine), then went to lunch together , then a playground.

He chose to ride with us in my minivan for one ride in between locations. Ds1 rides in a booster, his friend rides in nothing. There is no booster law in my state. Stupidly, kids can ride in a seat with no booster or car seat at age 4. (ETA: the boys involved here are 8, I mention age 4 to give a sense of the car seat " culture - or lack there of- in my state)

Anyway, what he does in his moms car is their business. I offered him the option to sit in our extra lbb. He said no. He is a larger child than ds2, but I was horrified when I turned and saw how unsafe he was due to how the belt hit him.

I was already driving when I saw and I kicked myself for not checking him before we left.

I nicely told him "the seatbelt might fit you fine in your mom's car, but it does not in mine. I want to make sure you are safe, so if you want to drive with us to the park after lunch, you will need to use a booster".

I do not believe that he is safe in his moms car with no booster, but that is her call when he is on her watch.

I am not going to knowingly drive a child in an unsafe manner in my car.

So annoyed at myself that I did not check first!

How do you handle similar situations?

Replies

• stillkim
    December 9, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting stillkim:

I would not drive another child in my car. Things happen, like forgetting to check a belt. That could have been a problem. My children ride with me. Other parents are in charge of their children. That's how I handle it.

Now that ds1 is older there are some friends I carpool with as having 2 kids in sports at once gets complicated.

I have not had the need before this year, but we are spread thin at times, so we "get by with a little help from our friends!" :)

I understand that.

• witchybabymomma
    December 9, 2012 at 4:14 PM

I would do the same. I think as adults and more important the owner and driver of the car it is our responsibility to make sure the kids are safe.

• Kmakksmom
    December 11, 2012 at 2:27 PM

I would have any passengers Kaden's age in a booster.  My girls are all over the age and height of needing one, so any of their friends wouldn't need one either.

• paganbaby
    December 11, 2012 at 2:29 PM

I would have done the same thing you did.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts