The Lounge

Featured Posts
Thelmama
Applied for another job...one I said I'd never do again.....
November 18, 2012 at 3:16 PM

but these are desperate times.

I applied to work as a foster care worker in my state.  I did this job when I lived in Florida in th 90's before I was married. It was okay but the system is so broken, I said I'd never work for that kind of job again. But there is nothing out there for someone with a Master's degree in Social work. If I get the job, maybe I can make a difference. Maybe I can be the one worker that people know is working on the kids' behalf.  I must get a job though because we can't make it on just my husband's income alone.  

I filled out the online application and hit submit.  But boy did they want to know stuff, I have no idea the answer to. Like what my salary was back then?? I have no clue. It wasn't a mandatory answer so I left it blank.  Hopefully since it wasn't starred as mandatory it will be fine.

In any case.......now I wait and see what happens.

Replies

• AutymsMommy
    November 18, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Good luck with the job!

My sister just got her Master's in Social Work... she has a job as the head of fund development for a day home (catering to adults and elderly with disabilities). Have you thought about branching out into another area of SW?

• Kodysmommy928
    November 18, 2012 at 3:21 PM

You got this!  Any agency would be lucky to have you!

• Thelmama

I have, there are just no job openings right now. I looked at hospice, and several others. I am still looking. 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Good luck with the job!

My sister just got her Master's in Social Work... she has a job as the head of fund development for a day home (catering to adults and elderly with disabilities). Have you thought about branching out into another area of SW?

• Kmakksmom

Good Luck!  I hope that you get the job my friend.

As you know, I am not fond of the worker we have.  I'm sure there are workers that are millions of times better than the schmuck we have.  He is the lowest of the low. :/

I know you won't be like him.

• Thelmama
    November 18, 2012 at 3:22 PM

awwwwwww thanks, bless you.

Quoting Kodysmommy928:

You got this!  Any agency would be lucky to have you!

• Thelmama
    November 18, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Thanks. I will be working on the foster care  end and not the end that takes them away. When I worked in this field before I listened to the parents!  It isn't hard to listen and think, but some workers don't do that.  In any case, I will work for the best interest of the kids and make sure I pay attention to details and such. I think some workers just skim the case and never look at the details before making recommendations.

Quoting Kmakksmom:

As you know, I am not fond of the worker we have.  I'm sure there are workers that are millions of times better than the schmuck we have.  He is the lowest of the low. :/

• Kmakksmom
    November 18, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Yep, that's what ours is doing.  He is not listening to any professionals that have been working with us either.  He told us that he never even read all of the reports as to why our kids were taken, he just thought since they were in care that he is keeping them there just because they were there when he got the case.  Many, MANY professional people that we have been working with have been recommending that the kids get returned home *even our court commissioner* and the jacka$$ still says no.  Even the foster "moms" if you can call them that want them to get out of their homes and back into ours. :/

Quoting Thelmama:

Thanks. I will be working on the foster care  end and not the end that takes them away. When I worked in this field before I listened to the parents!  It isn't hard to listen and think, but some workers don't do that.  In any case, I will work for the best interest of the kids and make sure I pay attention to details and such. I think some workers just skim the case and never look at the details before making recommendations.

Quoting Kmakksmom:

• Thelmama
    November 18, 2012 at 3:29 PM

That dude needs to be FIRED.  That is insanity!

Quoting Kmakksmom:

Yep, that's what ours is doing.  He is not listening to any professionals that have been working with us either.  He told us that he never even read all of the reports as to why our kids were taken, he just thought since they were in care that he is keeping them there just because they were there when he got the case.  Many, MANY professional people that we have been working with have been recommending that the kids get returned home *even our court commissioner* and the jacka$$ still says no.  Even the foster "moms" if you can call them that want them to get out of their homes and back into ours. :/

Quoting Thelmama:

Quoting Kmakksmom:

• sjump25
    by sjump25
    November 18, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Good luck!

• Thelmama
    November 18, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Thanks.........it doesn't pay but about 27 K or 28 K a year, but to supplement dh's income it would be fine...and I think the medical benefits are better with the state job than the insurance hubby has.

The Lounge

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN