The Lounge

Featured Posts
Cafe Kelly
Woman Gets Married While on Hospital Bed Rest & Delivers Baby Just Hours Later
November 13, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Woman Gets Married While on Hospital Bed Rest & Delivers Baby Just Hours Later

Posted by Julie Ryan Evans

just marriedParents-to-be Cynthia Reese, 27, and Michael Bof, 29, had planned to get married before the birth of their son. But you know what they say about the best laid plans going astray, and theirs did just that when Cynthia was admitted to the hospital on bed rest six weeks before her due date.

That might have been enough to make most couples postpone the nuptials, but not for this couple. Instead, Michael arranged for an officiant to come to the hospital to perform a quick, simple ceremony. But when the nursing staff got wind of their plans, they had other ideas.

According to the Akron Beacon Journal, the staff went over and above the call of duty when they learned of the couple's plans and stepped in to make it as special as possible. They helped orchestrate an incredibly sweet wedding right there in the hospital complete with all of the traditional trimmings ... with a twist.  

From getting brownies from the kitchen for a "reception" to buying flowers from the gift shop and constructing a wedding gown made from a bed sheet, they went all out. A nearby patient heard of their plans and donated some baby's breath from one of her own flower arrangements for Cynthia to wear in her hair; the medical photographer even came down to take pictures.

Amy Kilgore, manager of internal communications for Akron General Medical Center where the nuptials took place, told the paper:

As the bride was being wheeled down to the chapel, a visitor who was playing the piano in the lobby quickly found the music for the Wedding March so she could play it for them. They had a lovely ceremony in the chapel, and afterwards the nurses attached a ‘just married’ sign to the back of the wheelchair as they returned to her room, which the staff had fixed up for the reception. The newlyweds and their visitors had a wonderful time celebrating.

So sweet, and just in time too. It was just a couple of hours later that Michael Frederick Bof II arrived, weighing in at 4 pounds, 12 pounds.

What a day! What a birth story! They're going to have an awful lot to celebrate each year on that anniversary.

Personally, I probably would have waited so I could enjoy my wedding a bit more, but if it was that important to them, then good for them for getting it done just under the wire. Where there's a will, there can be a wedding, I guess. And kudos to that amazing nursing staff who made a day they could never forget into one that was beautifully memorable as well.

Was it important to you that you were married before you had children?

Image via mjtmail (tiggy)/Flickr

Replies

• sjump25
    by sjump25
    November 13, 2012 at 3:27 PM

I didn't get married until my son was 2 1/2, but good for them!

• Kris_PBG
    November 13, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Wow!  How sweet!

It was important to me to be married prior to kids - but we also chose to be married a few years before having kids, so there was no overlap!  :)

• Kodysmommy928
    November 13, 2012 at 6:49 PM

very cool!  It was important to us to be married before kids.  We had 3 years before Kody came along.

• kimsardo
    November 13, 2012 at 6:56 PM

It was important to me though that's not how it worked out.

This is a fun story!

• sweetmissy_05
    November 13, 2012 at 6:58 PM

I didn't get married until after I had my kiddos....but that's so sweet of them!

• ara-myangel
    November 13, 2012 at 8:46 PM
    I got married while I was 5 months pregnant. But before I had become pregnant, we were planning to get married August 4th of this year. So our goals were to make 2012 our year somehow.
  • Kmakksmom
    November 14, 2012 at 2:53 AM
    That's very cool! I was 7 1/2 months pregnant when Leigh and I got married in 1998, and our son was born still exactly a week after our wedding. :/
  • Lindsey1126
    November 14, 2012 at 8:17 PM
    Very different and sweet! I'm not with my baby daddy now but we were engaged when our son was born and I gave him my last name lol He was furious but I wanted my child to have the same last name as me!
  • MikeysMom22
    November 19, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Thats sweet!!!!! They were married BEFORE the baby was born... no one can question it with all those people involved. :) 

The Lounge

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN