The Lounge

Featured Posts
steelcage
Do your kids remember things?
October 6, 2012 at 12:49 AM

My six year old remembers EVERYTHING from the time she was one up to now. She can't tell you what she had for lunch yesterday at school but she can tell you something that happened back when she was just learning to walk, in full detail. Things we haven't really told her about. 

She can describe the house we lived in from the time she was 18 months until she was almost three. We haven't been back to that house since we moved, nor do we have pictures of it anywhere. 

She will out of the blue come up with something, a true event that happened, that is never mentioned, and tell us about it. Like her third birthday party, which I've forgotten most details of myself, she'll talk about. She'll remember what she has been for Halloween every year since she was born (the first two halloweens' she's asked about her costume, but after that, she knows)

DH can't remember anything before turning 8. No specific childhood memories or anything. I can only remember things I've heard stories about or seen pictures of, so it's surprising to me that she can tell so many stories and give so much specific detail about things she shouldn't know a lot about. Her sister isn't the same way, she'll remember a few things that happened last year or the year before, but not a lot (she's turning 5 next month). 

DD has been called a "genius" by every teacher she's ever had, and is advanced for her class, but I guess she has one of those excellent memories as well.

ETA: She also makes up far fetched stories, her imagination is fantastic. Every story begins with "when i was a little baby, you took me to the moon" or "when i was 3 and sister was 2, we went to china". Things that have never happened (especially the moon part lol).

Replies

• luvbooks
    October 6, 2012 at 2:35 AM

An interesting topic.  My earliest memories begin when I was about three.  I remember my borther beginning to teach me to read - from the Blue Fairy Book if any of you are old enough to remember that - and also an Asian outfit my uncle brought me back when he returned from the Korean War (I'm pretty old compared to the rest of you).  I remember the first TV my family ever had about from the same time (Howdy Doody anyone?).  After that I'm pretty fuzzy except from some isolated memories until about age eight or so.

I have been interested in memory as a topic so I will be interested in reading about other peoples earliest memories also.

I have other stories about early memories that might be interesting.

• rayroe2
    by rayroe2
    October 6, 2012 at 5:43 AM

I can remember til the time I was 2-3 but I cant remember things from 2years ago all the time. Everyone has their own memories that they cherish I guess. When I was being evaluated by a therapist I had above average memory but terrible short term and bad math skills. It was a test on the computer they had me do.

• mariesmama
    October 6, 2012 at 8:56 AM

i have a few memories from when i was 3 one i was sick and had to stay away from everybody sick in bed for it seemed like forever another was where my brother almost drowned me another we were playing tag around the car and my parents were putting tin in the trunk to fix a building i ducked but not low enough i bled so much i turned a green blanket purplei still have the scar above my eye 30 yrs later

• calimom1123
    October 6, 2012 at 12:59 PM
    Yes my dd is like that but as shes getting older she is starting to remember less.
  • Hyman
    by Hyman
    October 6, 2012 at 1:19 PM
    Hmm. I can't just spontaneously recall memories from my childhood. I have to have triggers. Lol.

I took my 14 month old to the amazing hands on museum and I remembered the memory of being there myself at his age. Lol. It was still so much the same and it was really cool to think about.
  • PurpleHazey
    October 6, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Heck yeah my kids never forget anything unless it has to do with them, like cleaning their room or they were late last weekend

• PurpleHazey
    October 6, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Quoting calimom1123:

Yes my dd is like that but as shes getting older she is starting to remember less.

Isn't that funny how that works!

• Aurorasmom
    October 6, 2012 at 11:51 PM

yes!! my daughter is exactly like that and it freaks me out sometimes!!

• kissmiss213
    October 7, 2012 at 12:10 AM

my older sister is like that. she still brings stuff up from when she was like 2.

• Lovingmomfarm
    October 7, 2012 at 12:17 AM

My oldest is that way.  She remembers EVERY thing.  She can tell you every Halloween costume she has worn, the order in which her teeth have fallen out, places we have gone, things that we have done.  She is now 9.  She has been doing since she could talk.  My youngest is the same.  

The Lounge

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN