Featured Posts
Cafe Amanda
Sorry Kids, Sometimes You Just Don't Come First! Mom Needs Her Sanity, Too!
April 17, 2012 at 11:42 AM

It's a truth few moms want to admit: We take shortcuts. Sometimes, we just don't care! It's all about survival.

Do you do any of the things these "Survivor Moms" do to get through the day with your sanity intact? Or do you have any tricks of your own to share, whether they're time-savers or mantras for dealing with any lingering mommy guilt after you've used the TV as a babysitter or fed the kids PB&J for lunch the fourth day in a row?

If you liked this video, subscribe to CafeMom Studios for more...
Powered by CafeMom Studios

Replies

• gotnothinonme
    April 17, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Wait, there NOT supposed to eat pb & j for lunch?? uh oh.... I work from home, I do a LOT of things to get through the day that I'd never have believed before I had kids or would even recommend- AND I have teenagers as well, believe me ladies, don't rush it, you may find you're reminiscing about the days when the biggest problems you faced were the ones that come with LITTLE kids- as they get bigger, so do their problems and their ability to make choices that leave you cringing and looking wistfully at baby books, lol.

• Cafe Steph

It's a madhouse here sometimes - it's almost like having toddlers again, lol.

Quoting LuLuRex:

I'm so scared of the tween years!!!!

Quoting Cafe Steph:

I pray for that, lol. Mine are tweens and they're killing me! LOL ;)

Quoting LancesMom:

I agree it sounds dreamy that it gets better in their teens! LOL! Somebody tell my kid that, would ya!

• ruby_jewel_04

LOL... The pancakes are super easy. Melt a half cup of butter in the bottom of a 9-13 pan. Mix together 1 & 1/2 cup milk, 1 & 1/2 cup flour, and 6 eggs. Pour it in the pan and bake at 425 for 20-25 minutes. Voila! 

Quoting Cafe Steph:

Oooh, farm fresh eggs AND giant pancakes? I wanna eat breakfast at your house!!

Quoting ruby_jewel_04:

Same here! We love breakfast! We get farm fresh eggs from my grandparents. So we do scrammbled or fried eggs, turkey bacon, and my kids favorite breakfast food... Giant puffy pancakes (one pancake feeds the whole family. They are AMAZING. :D )

Quoting Reina13:

Breakfast for dinner happens quite often in my home.

• Cafe Steph
    April 17, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I don't think that makes you weird at all. Everyone is different, and that's a very good thing. :)

Quoting Mommy4000:

Call me a weirdo mom, but none of those things hit home with me. It was fun to watch though.

• Cafe Steph
    April 17, 2012 at 1:07 PM

It's cute, isn't it?

Quoting ruby_jewel_04:

Also totally off topic, BUT I totally LOVE the wallpaper and want it on my bedroom.

• Cafe Steph
    April 17, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Yeah, if they aren't, I'm in big trouble! LOL... heck, even *I* eat PB&J for lunch sometimes! LOL

Quoting gotnothinonme:

Wait, there NOT supposed to eat pb & j for lunch?? uh oh.... I work from home, I do a LOT of things to get through the day that I'd never have believed before I had kids or would even recommend- AND I have teenagers as well, believe me ladies, don't rush it, you may find you're reminiscing about the days when the biggest problems you faced were the ones that come with LITTLE kids- as they get bigger, so do their problems and their ability to make choices that leave you cringing and looking wistfully at baby books, lol.

• Cafe Steph
    April 17, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Wow, that's a great idea - so simple, too! Thanks for sharing! :)

Quoting ruby_jewel_04:

LOL... The pancakes are super easy. Melt a half cup of butter in the bottom of a 9-13 pan. Mix together 1 & 1/2 cup milk, 1 & 1/2 cup flour, and 6 eggs. Pour it in the pan and bake at 425 for 20-25 minutes. Voila! 

Quoting Cafe Steph:

Quoting ruby_jewel_04:

Same here! We love breakfast! We get farm fresh eggs from my grandparents. So we do scrammbled or fried eggs, turkey bacon, and my kids favorite breakfast food... Giant puffy pancakes (one pancake feeds the whole family. They are AMAZING. :D )

Quoting Reina13:

• ruby_jewel_04
    April 17, 2012 at 1:12 PM

You are very welcome! its amazing smeared with PB & J!! :D

Quoting Cafe Steph:

Wow, that's a great idea - so simple, too! Thanks for sharing! :)

Quoting ruby_jewel_04:

Quoting Cafe Steph:

Quoting ruby_jewel_04:

Quoting Reina13:

• gotnothinonme
    April 17, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I was on a conference call with a client once and my two year old son was making me insane, and I was doing that silent arm flap menacing go somewhere and play for two seconds please face while trying to focus on my work call, when suddenly I just said "fine, here take my wallet and keys, but please don't loose my credit cards again!" - my client laughed til she cried. I've played FETCH with the kids from my desk. I've created a game where i yell out hints and they have to run through the house finding the things I'm "hinting" about (which half the time I have no idea what I'm hinting about to begin with), I've actually decided if the day was a success by whether or not they're all alive, eaten more than a starving child in some country I can't pronounce and are clean enough to still be vaguely recognizable- this isn't my usual standards, but when I'm operating at def-con 5 red alert levels, you have to measure life in the itty bitty successes, like not losing them and not setting anything on fire that day. They've rolled n mud and tracked it through the kitchen, they've colored each other head to toe in marker, they've ridden the dog past my desk- "while I say, if you dangle a treat he'll run faster!" I've committed almost every cardinal mommy sin known and I'm sure I'll make plenty more- darn gotta go, my little man is taking a bath in the dogs water bowl!!

• Azzura
    by Azzura
    April 17, 2012 at 1:18 PM
    I wouldn't survive with three boys, two under 3, if I didn't have a schedule that I stuck to religiously. I don't sweat the small stuff, I make sure they take their vitamins and stay hydrated, and thank god for peanut butter and yogurt, as long as they get protein they can eat whatever they please. I use nightly baths like pool time, it confines them, cleans them, and entertains them for at least 45 minutes. I'm not actually washing them though. They wear their pants/jeans twice to save me laundry. They are always in bed between 7 and 8pm so I have quiet time, kids need a lot of sleep!
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts