The Lounge

Featured Posts
Cafe AmyS
Do you let your kids see you naked?
August 27, 2011 at 2:05 PM

I saw this in The Stir - Do you think it's normal for kids to see their parents nude?

Heidi Klum Lets Her Kids See Her Naked. So What?!

Posted by Christie Haskell
on August 27, 2011

heidi klumAccording to some, parental nudity will break kid's brains. Heidi Klum didn't get the message. She was spotted topless on a beach along. with her also-topless daughter Leni.

I don't see what the big deal is. When I was a kid, I saw my parents naked. Especially my mom (who reads this... sorry Mom!). We also went to pools where we'd be in the locker room and see women walking around totally naked, or men if we had to go into the locker room with my dad. And guess what? I'm not scarred for life. In fact, if anything, I think seeing lots of naked people did me good.

Especially seeing as it's just my sister and I, my mom didn't mind if we saw her naked. Because she found it so normal, we found it normal too. It also helps that as a nurse, she taught us how to compartmentalize the different uses of different things. Nudity in the shower? Totally different than nudity in front of a wind machine with oiled boobs. In fact, saying "oiled boobs" in a paragraph talking about my mom being naked weirds me out a little. But that's kind of my point. INTENTION.

The only thing my sister, as a toddler, got out of seeing a naked guy when my dad had to take her into the men's locker room was the perfect time to loudly announce, "Daddy, his thing is bigger than your thing!" Teehee!

When talking about her nudity in front of her child, Heidi Klum says of herself and husband Seal:

[My kids] see their parents naked all the time. We are not ashamed.

The writer of an article on MomFinds says she doesn't understand how you teach kids to keep private parts private if you don't keep them private, but says she walks around naked in her home. See, you teach children that there is a proper time, place and etiquette to nudity. There are social reasons you CAN be naked HERE but CAN'T be naked THERE. You teach why a swimsuit isn't proper attire for a nice restaurant but is appropriate for the beach. People also wear swimsuits that are more revealing than any clothing they would ever dare to wear -- different situations, different reasons, result in different things.

Kids CAN learn the difference -- that it's fine to run around their yard in nothing but shorts, but when they go to the grocery store, they are required to put on a shirt and shoes. They can learn that their penis can't come out in the grocery store, but is okay in a public bathroom. They can learn that breasts brought out for breastfeeding are different than those brought out for shock or sex. They can also learn that bodies are so private that they become uncomfortable ever using a locker room, a changing room in P.E. class, having an OB exam, or other situations. It's just as important to teach that there are places it's OKAY to be naked as it is to teach that there are places it's not. That said, it's important to always respect when a kiddo does ask for their own privacy as well, and your own comfort level DOES matter too.

And besides, Heidi Klum ain't exactly hard on the eyes.

Do you teach your kids that nudity can be normal in certain places, or is it something you work very hard to avoid?

Replies

• Kris_PBG
    August 27, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Nudity is not really a big deal in my house.

On the odd time when my kids walk in and I actually want some privacy they act baffled - so I guess nudity isn't a big deal to them either! 

• Earthy_Mom
    August 27, 2011 at 2:39 PM

Quoting Kris_PBG:

On the odd time when my kids walk in and I actually want some privacy they act baffled - so I guess nudity isn't a big deal to them either! 

What she said ^

• EireLass
    August 27, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Now? Yes, just my daughter. She's 28. My son is 31.  

• mokshaangel
    August 28, 2011 at 1:03 AM

Not regularly, but the girls do have a tendancy to "bother" me when I am in the shower or getting dressed. I don't make a big deal out of it. I believe it is fine for girls to see other girls naked (not so sure I would be naked on a beach with my daughter, BUT). Where you need to be careful is cross gender. My boyfriend is very careful about not being seen naked by the girls (one being his own daughter) and is really not interested in being anywhere close when they are naked:)

• Spilled-Ink
    August 28, 2011 at 2:17 AM

It seems like whenever I'm in the bathroom - it's a spectator's sport.

• Heather_the_Mom
    August 28, 2011 at 2:21 AM

I lived out of the country (U.S.) when i was younger.  The island I lived on was very laid back and had a distinctly European vibe about, so guess what... every beach you went to you would see >GASP< topless women and men in itty bitty speedos.  Big Deal!

Nudity it normal and natural.  If my kiddos walk in on me while I am dressing, I do not draw attention to it.  I will tell my son that I am dressing, and he knows not to disturb me, but if he walks in anyways, eh... no biggie.

My daughter who is almost three sees me naked all the time.  Mainly it's due to the fact that I can do absolutely nothing without her shadowing me. 

• WanziesMommie
    August 28, 2011 at 2:25 AM

No I don't allow my 14yr old son to see me naked..

• babymaycker
    August 28, 2011 at 3:28 AM
    I have a toddler son and he is welcome in the bathroom while myself or SO shower or use the restroom. We ask if he has questions and we answer them. As he gets older we will separate him to only being around dad (in case he has questions about his...ahem...equipment) and any girls I have will only be around me. I think once they hit puberty they won't though. I want them to be knowledgable and comfortable in their skin. And I think that a girl has a better chance of battling high school peer pressure if she sees her mum confident in her stretch marks and flab :) but I won't be allowing that after a certain age. Likely 5 or 6 for opposite sex and maybe a little longer for same.
  • MommeeTo4
    August 28, 2011 at 9:43 AM
    This

My sons are 10 & 11 now and want no part in seeing anyone nude lol

My girls are 8 & 5 and see me nude

My dd asked me why my boobs don't stand up high like the bra ladies on tv ( Victoria secret)

I said bc those are fake
    And mine are real lol

I guess it showed her what real breasts look like , instead of a fake idea of how they "should" look

Quoting Kris_PBG:

• KamisMommysGirl
    August 28, 2011 at 9:46 AM

Kameron loves to come bother me when I'm in the bathroom/shower. If i try to lock the door she tells me she has to go to the bathroom or something so I rarely ever get a shower in peace!

The Lounge

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN