Cafe AmyS
Do you let your kids see you naked?
August 27, 2011 at 2:05 PM

I saw this in The Stir - Do you think it's normal for kids to see their parents nude?

Heidi Klum Lets Her Kids See Her Naked. So What?!

Posted by Christie Haskell
on August 27, 2011

heidi klumAccording to some, parental nudity will break kid's brains. Heidi Klum didn't get the message. She was spotted topless on a beach along. with her also-topless daughter Leni.

I don't see what the big deal is. When I was a kid, I saw my parents naked. Especially my mom (who reads this... sorry Mom!). We also went to pools where we'd be in the locker room and see women walking around totally naked, or men if we had to go into the locker room with my dad. And guess what? I'm not scarred for life. In fact, if anything, I think seeing lots of naked people did me good.

Especially seeing as it's just my sister and I, my mom didn't mind if we saw her naked. Because she found it so normal, we found it normal too. It also helps that as a nurse, she taught us how to compartmentalize the different uses of different things. Nudity in the shower? Totally different than nudity in front of a wind machine with oiled boobs. In fact, saying "oiled boobs" in a paragraph talking about my mom being naked weirds me out a little. But that's kind of my point. INTENTION.

The only thing my sister, as a toddler, got out of seeing a naked guy when my dad had to take her into the men's locker room was the perfect time to loudly announce, "Daddy, his thing is bigger than your thing!" Teehee!

When talking about her nudity in front of her child, Heidi Klum says of herself and husband Seal:

[My kids] see their parents naked all the time. We are not ashamed.

The writer of an article on MomFinds says she doesn't understand how you teach kids to keep private parts private if you don't keep them private, but says she walks around naked in her home. See, you teach children that there is a proper time, place and etiquette to nudity. There are social reasons you CAN be naked HERE but CAN'T be naked THERE. You teach why a swimsuit isn't proper attire for a nice restaurant but is appropriate for the beach. People also wear swimsuits that are more revealing than any clothing they would ever dare to wear -- different situations, different reasons, result in different things.

Kids CAN learn the difference -- that it's fine to run around their yard in nothing but shorts, but when they go to the grocery store, they are required to put on a shirt and shoes. They can learn that their penis can't come out in the grocery store, but is okay in a public bathroom. They can learn that breasts brought out for breastfeeding are different than those brought out for shock or sex. They can also learn that bodies are so private that they become uncomfortable ever using a locker room, a changing room in P.E. class, having an OB exam, or other situations. It's just as important to teach that there are places it's OKAY to be naked as it is to teach that there are places it's not. That said, it's important to always respect when a kiddo does ask for their own privacy as well, and your own comfort level DOES matter too.

And besides, Heidi Klum ain't exactly hard on the eyes.

Do you teach your kids that nudity can be normal in certain places, or is it something you work very hard to avoid?

Replies

• ack86
    by ack86
    September 2, 2011 at 3:16 AM
    Same. Everytime I go in the bathroom, my boys always follow me. I tell them it isnt nice to come in while someone else is in there, but they really only do it to me and DH.

Quoting Spilled-Ink:

It seems like whenever I'm in the bathroom - it's a spectator's sport.

• cupcake2819
    September 2, 2011 at 10:21 AM

I like what she said (below)... I like my real boobs too!

Quoting MommeeTo4:

This

My sons are 10 & 11 now and want no part in seeing anyone nude lol

My girls are 8 & 5 and see me nude

My dd asked me why my boobs don't stand up high like the bra ladies on tv ( Victoria secret)

I said bc those are fake
    And mine are real lol

I guess it showed her what real breasts look like , instead of a fake idea of how they "should" look

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Nudity is not really a big deal in my house.

On the odd time when my kids walk in and I actually want some privacy they act baffled - so I guess nudity isn't a big deal to them either! 

• IttyBitty91
    September 2, 2011 at 10:31 AM
    I am not shy around my 11mo daughter. She showers with me. Frankly it's just easier that way & she likes to play with the water as it comes out. I'm not sure how I'd feel if she was older. My mom/sister/me all change in front of each other but with our backs turned. I want her to be comfortable enough with herself but not too comfortable.
  • minimom11107
    September 2, 2011 at 10:36 AM

I"m totally comfortable with nudity but I don't just stay nude around my kids. If they see me get out of the shower or bust in my bedroom when I'm getting dressed, it is what it is. SO on the other hand is VERY modest and so I've tried to be respectful of him by telling the kids I'm getting dressed and to leave the room.

• valleymomma1
    September 2, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Of course I try not to but these things accidentally happen

• k_hall1784
    September 2, 2011 at 11:46 AM

I honestly don't care. My dh is the one who has a problem with kids seeing their parents naked. I used to walk around my dad and my brother in bra and panties and still do! LOL. I guess I don't see the issue that some seem to have.

• Lynzee.Limon
    September 2, 2011 at 1:21 PM

lol I was JUST talking to some male co-workers about this type of topic! haha my 2 year old son sees me naked all the time. mainly cuz I shower with him to save time and water during the week. but he also showers with his daddy. he knows the differences between me and daddy and well tell me "mommy washing vagina" when I am washing my body and he tells my husband "washing my/your penis" when he is in the shower with him. it's not a big deal in our home.. maybe when he gets a little bit older I will start giving him more baths instead... 

(my male co workers found it weird that my husband showers with his son?? but totally normal that I do??) haha

• oDye3X
    by oDye3X
    September 2, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Being cared for in a hospital or nursing home is totally different then being naked in your home with growing children. Do I want my growing sons running around naked? No. I don't want them seeing their mom naked either.

• Alicia_1973
    January 10, 2013 at 12:22 PM
    Nudity is a natural and beautiful thing,
    Nothing wrong with sharing your nudity with your family as long as everybody feels comfortable about it.
    We are a nudist family and love it, very bonding way if life.
    Heidi seems to be such a cool mom :)
  • babyblue415
    January 10, 2013 at 12:39 PM

eh, i'm open minded. my kids seen me naked and i have seen pretty much my whole family naked at some point.