Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
mamaflamingo
Has anyone used Dancing Bears Reading curriculum?
August 26 at 2:01 PM

I have an 8 year old boy that is struggling to read.  YEs.  I believe he is dyslexic.  I have been using All about reading for 18 months .  IT is OG based but it's just not cutting it.  I've never tried anything else. After much research, I ordered dancing bears.....I was curious if anyone else has used it with success?   I do have some questions!

Thanks!!

Replies

• AutymsMommy
    August 26 at 10:30 PM

I haven't used DB, but I have used (and loved) their sister spelling program, Apples and Pears. I've heard fantastic things about DB too.

• mamaflamingo
    August 27 at 12:28 PM
    Thank you! I actually am thinking of switching from all about spelling to this for all my kids!!
  • TJandKarasMom
    August 27 at 8:16 PM

We use Apples and Pears Spelling (at Aimee's recommendation) and we LOVE it.  I have an older kiddo, but she needed something more and I am thrilled we went with A&P Spelling. Their reading program looks great and I have only read good things about it.  I think it's worth the investment when obviously AAR isn't cutting it, it's worth a try.  And more affordable. 

• AutymsMommy
    August 27 at 9:24 PM

If you want to test the waters a bit, I might suggest you try Apples and Pears BEFORE Dancing Bears. Since the spelling program is phonics based, it will help some too (not to say that it can be used in place of a phonics program - it can't - but you could test the waters of the program.

I love A&P so much that I plan to use it for my middle son, who ISN'T dyslexic, lol.

• mamaflamingo
    August 28 at 10:09 PM
    Thank you ladies ! I was able to get a copy of DB used and we started it today ! Definitely different than what I've been using;). It went well though! He already learned a new phonogram....which is a breath of fresh air for us.

I'm really really considering a&up for all my kids which all struggle with spelling immensely ! We do all about spelling . They do well on the new words but bomb every time I do a sentence dictation. .

I love the idea of an open and closed book without all the tiles and cards . I don't even know how much they even really get the rules . They all struggle with auditory processing issues.

They have VERY poor spelling...does a&up really help well with that?

Also...my other hesitation is with my son...that is 8 ...he definitely hAs some dysgraphia and everyone says how much writing it is. Has your kiddo struggled with that? Is there anyway I could make the writing mor multisensory ...like dry erase boards, sidewalk chalk, shaving cream ect?

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts