Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
THauge
Unique situation, could really use advice...
by THauge
August 13 at 8:15 PM

Hello! I was hoping I could get some advice for our situation.

First, a little about our family: DH and I have 4 boys. Our oldest just recently graduated high school and was home schooled for a while and also attended a virtual high school. We have a 6 year old autistic child who will be entering first grade next month. For now, he will be attending a brick and mortar public school but we are seriously considering home school or online school for him. Our third child is 4 and will be turning 5 in late October. Our youngest is 8 months old.

Our 4 year old, Gabe, desperately wants to attend school. He is really smart and seems very ready for kindergarten. He has been really looking forward to going to school and learning like his older brothers. In fact, all last year we would make a copy of his brother's (6 year old, Jax) homework and Gabe would also do the homework alongside his brother. He really enjoyed doing the work and honestly it seemed rather easy for him to do the homework. Our local school district has the policy that children need to turn 5 years old on or before August 31st. As Gabe will turn 5 in October, we miss that deadline. Our school district does have an early acceptance program and we have applied and were denied for that. We appealed that decision and were denied again. The letter basically says that they feel he would not be successful in Kindergarten this year but doesn't really cite any particular reason. We're pretty frustrated with the school district and cannot get any answers from them.

We live a state where there are K12 programs. Gabe does not qualify for K through the public school option (again because of when his birthday is and they do not do early acceptance). They do have a private school option. It appears as though he would qualify to attend even though he turns 5 in October. Another option would be to home-school Gabe for Kindergarten.

Here's where things get a little tricky. We currently live in WA state but are planning to move to Florida. The current plan is to move in October or November. (We put an offer in on a house and are waiting to hear back. It's a short sale so it's been taking quite a while for that process.) Both WA and FL have online public and private options for K12. We would still not be qualified for the public option though.

So, we are trying to figure out whether we should go with K12's private school option or whether we should home school Gabe. We have no problem putting in the effort to guide and teach our child. I guess what we are looking for is advice on homeschooling Gabe for Kindergarten. We're not sure where to start really and if we go the home school route, rather than private school, we want to make sure he will get credit for attending Kindergarten. (So he wouldn't have to repeat Kindergarten again next year.)

Does anyone have any advice?

Replies

• LostTheSlipper
    August 13 at 11:28 PM

If you are truly considering the K12 option, I would look into Florida's rules about K12. I thought I read somewhere (on here? on a different board? Something like that) that for K12 in Florida, a child must attend their public schools for one year first. If that's the case, if you start with K12 in one state, they might now allow it when moving to another. I'm not really sure how that works, but you should at least look into it.

I personally would just homeschool him at home. See if K is a mandatory thing in FL or not, and if not, then just enroll him as a first grader next year OR go through a "satelite" homeschooling option, so they could just transfer his file and it was be like transferring him into first (For example, we homeschool my son and are signed up through a small church. They just collect quarterly attendance, grades, and progress reports.IF we were to send him to PS, it should be just like him transferring in from a private school. Ideally he'd be placed in the grade he'd be in here at home.)

• sweetfox3
    August 13 at 11:31 PM

http://www.fldoe.org/faq/default.asp?Dept=107&ID=517

Bottom line up front:  

Florida requires children who are 6 years old by February 1 to attend school regularly.  This includes homeschool.  To enroll into first grade, they must have sucessfully completed kindergarten.  

• coala
    by coala
    August 14 at 10:03 AM

In Fl you can homeschool for K and then you would need to do first grade too.  If you do K and then try to enroll him into first....they will make him repeat K if he is only 6.  If you homeschool for K and first you can then have him tested to enter 2nd grade.  Does any of this make sense.  If you use and Umbrella school you may be able to get around the need for 1st grade to homeschool as they will be able to vouch that your son completed K.

I'm in Fl and we use a private school option but not through the state.  We chose our course of study and since it is private we don't have to deal with the state or the county....because my children are technically "enrolled" in a school that is located in the state of Fl.

Quoting sweetfox3:

Bottom line up front:  

Florida requires children who are 6 years old by February 1 to attend school regularly.  This includes homeschool.  To enroll into first grade, they must have sucessfully completed kindergarten.  

• THauge
    by THauge
    August 15 at 2:16 PM

I will have to check into that (the rule about attending public school first). We have a conference call set up with someone from K12 set up for tomorrow and I will make sure we ask about that. Thank you! 

Quoting LostTheSlipper:

If you are truly considering the K12 option, I would look into Florida's rules about K12. I thought I read somewhere (on here? on a different board? Something like that) that for K12 in Florida, a child must attend their public schools for one year first. If that's the case, if you start with K12 in one state, they might now allow it when moving to another. I'm not really sure how that works, but you should at least look into it.

I personally would just homeschool him at home. See if K is a mandatory thing in FL or not, and if not, then just enroll him as a first grader next year OR go through a "satelite" homeschooling option, so they could just transfer his file and it was be like transferring him into first (For example, we homeschool my son and are signed up through a small church. They just collect quarterly attendance, grades, and progress reports.IF we were to send him to PS, it should be just like him transferring in from a private school. Ideally he'd be placed in the grade he'd be in here at home.)

• THauge
    by THauge
    August 15 at 2:19 PM

Makes sense. It is definitely something else to take into consideration although I wouldn't mind homeschooling longer than just a year or two. Thank you!

Quoting coala:

In Fl you can homeschool for K and then you would need to do first grade too.  If you do K and then try to enroll him into first....they will make him repeat K if he is only 6.  If you homeschool for K and first you can then have him tested to enter 2nd grade.  Does any of this make sense.  If you use and Umbrella school you may be able to get around the need for 1st grade to homeschool as they will be able to vouch that your son completed K.

I'm in Fl and we use a private school option but not through the state.  We chose our course of study and since it is private we don't have to deal with the state or the county....because my children are technically "enrolled" in a school that is located in the state of Fl.

Quoting sweetfox3:

Bottom line up front:  

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN