Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
DesireMM
Need a different math
August 13 at 11:07 AM

My son had chosen to use Mathematical Reasoning for math this year (6th grade). We had gotten it for his younger sister and he liked it. Now that he is using it he absolutely hates it. He now wants more of a textbook and workbook set up like his science (Glencoe). Any recommendations? I am trying to not spend more that $75 on it since we had already bought math for him. But I can't force him to work through a book he doesn't like. 

Replies

• Jinx-Troublex3
    August 13 at 12:48 PM

I'm a huge fan of Mah U see. It has the insturctor on DVD and then a workbook. The teachers manual also has instruction for each lesson and the answers. My oldest and youngest have done well with it.

My middle DS has a mild learing disability and is a visual learner so he does teaching Textbooks. You can use the workbook alone (It has instruction and problems), or it has a computer CD (not online) that he can use to watch the instruction and then enter the answers on the computer. I like that if he does it on the computer, it grades for me..LOL

• oahoah
    by oahoah
    August 13 at 1:10 PM

I second Math U See. We started this in January and took a little break and are continuing with it. This program has helped my math hater to understand math, not necessarily like it yet but he's coming around (he's 9). And it has helped my 7 & 5 y/o as well.  They hardly ever use the cubes though.

• DesireMM
    August 13 at 2:49 PM

How do you know which Math U See to use for 6th grade? Is there a placement test? I couldn't find one when I tried looking. Or do you just choose the next one that covers material they haven't done yet?

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I'm a huge fan of Mah U see. It has the insturctor on DVD and then a workbook. The teachers manual also has instruction for each lesson and the answers. My oldest and youngest have done well with it.

My middle DS has a mild learing disability and is a visual learner so he does teaching Textbooks. You can use the workbook alone (It has instruction and problems), or it has a computer CD (not online) that he can use to watch the instruction and then enter the answers on the computer. I like that if he does it on the computer, it grades for me..LOL

• Jinx-Troublex3
    August 13 at 3:19 PM
    Go to their website under parents/getting started/placement tests

My DD is in 6th this year and doing Zeta. Since you are coming from a spiral program, I am guessing Epsilon (one below Zeta and focusing on all fractions) would be the place to start. If they are advanced at all, they may test into Zeta.
  • StepDucky
    August 14 at 10:56 AM

Singapore math!! It's awesome! They break math down, so it's easy to understand. 

• ablackdolphin
    August 14 at 1:28 PM

I LOVE RightStart Math!

• CSM07
    by CSM07
    August 14 at 6:29 PM

I love Math u see! We used Horizons for about 2.5 years and liked it, but got bored with it. It's a spiral learning curriculum as well. Now we use it for review from time to time and it's ok for that. My son does much better with a mastery program than a spiral program since he needs to focus on something new he's learning to really understand it.

I heard a lot of people like saxon math, but I have not tried it myself.

• GodsAmiga
    August 15 at 2:36 AM

I agree that math u see might be a great option for him! We used the primer for kindergarten and I really liked it. We switched to Miquon for the next few years but I plan on going back and going through math u see once we have finished with Miquon. :-) I think there is a placement test on their website but I don't know that for sure.

• DesireMM
    August 15 at 9:12 AM

Thank you all for the suggestions!! I am going to spend this weekend going through samples with him. I really don't want to have to buy a third math curriculum. lol

• KrissyKC
    August 15 at 9:30 AM
    Math u see has been amazing. I let my younger son drop down a level when we first switched, but my elder daughter went straight into epsilon (5th) because she is so math smart. She wanted prealgebra, but didn't pass the placement test well enough. She could have done it, but we felt waiting was better.

We are so happy with math now. We are already halfway through the next books. The kids love it. One kid in particular jumped for joy and started his next book the day we recieved it even though I offered him a break from math.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts