Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
mommy2cristian
Virtual school
August 11 at 5:30 PM

Hi,

I'm curious if anyone does this or do you all come up with your own lesson plans? Thanks!

Thanks for the replies and the tips/info.  I appreciate it!

Background:  I did homeschool my 3rd grader through a Charter school for 1st grade. He's been in public school for Kindergarten & 2nd grade.  The Charter school wasn't bad but I was thinking of trying an online one this time around.  I'm still rather new & as for me building my own curriculum I'm hesitent to do that.  Maybe like some an online school for a year just to get my footing is the way to go.  But I don't like the idea of us being tied to a computer at specific times.  With the Charter school you meet once a month & provide a few sample pages of work completed.  

Replies

• AutymsMommy
    August 12 at 8:12 AM

There's more between "virtual school" and "making one's own lesson plans". Some people may buy an all in one box (Abeka, Seton, etc), which is NOT virtual school, but already comes with lesson plans.

I do make my own lesson plans. I do buy curriculum, but different pieces from different publishers (no "all-in-one").

• bluerooffarm
    August 12 at 9:13 AM

There is a complete rainbow between virtual (even virtual public school) and completely making our own lessons in this group.  We did a Virtual public school for about a year and then began to use a number of pre-made curriculum (Math U See, Story of the World, National Geographic Geography, Time for Grammar, etc).  Now we still buy Math, history, and geography; however, I write my own Language Arts, science, and home-ec.

• Leissaintexas
    August 12 at 9:46 AM
    Neither. I pull from several different publishers, mixing traditional textbooks for some subjects and a more hands on, unschool style for others. For the more relaxed stuff, I write my own plans. Virtual schools can be incredibly stifling for nontraditional learners.
  • FallMama
    August 12 at 10:25 AM

We did virtual school for a year.  It was good for us to figure out what fit and what didn't for our family, but we won't be doing that again.  I make my own curriculum for everything except math (Life of Fred) and handwriting (Handwriting Without Tears).  I wouldn't even do the HWT, but my kiddos love their workbooks and they're not too expensive.  As for everything else, I use supplemental sites and real books.  My eldest DD loves Grammaropolis, and my younger loves Reading Eggs.  I create my own lessons and we have fun with it!

• JadeTigr7
    August 12 at 10:36 AM
    I have never, and probably will never use a virtual school. I don't think it's for us. I do use two different box curriculum and make my own lesson plans using their material.
  • Jinx-Troublex3
    August 12 at 11:00 AM

We use a charter school option that allows me to pick and choose all of the kid's curriculum. We use Math U See for two of the kids and TT for the third. I do All About Spelling and Easy Grammar but use my own writing promptss and essays. We use a variety of different things for History as one child is advanced, one has a learning disability and the third just wants to plow through and be done so it is hard to grab and hold her interest.  Science we also grab from here and there. I mix in a lot of their Boy Scout and Girl Scout badges into Science and History.

I had my nephew come homeschool with us for one year and his Mom had him enrolled with K-12 virtual school. It was a nightmare. We had to be home at certain times for web classes, had to lie to log hour if we took field trips. There was a lot of extra busy work that is NOT needed in a one on one setting. It was definitely NOT a work at your own pace program UNLESS you are advanced and can move ahead.

• kirbymom
    August 12 at 11:25 AM
    I typically write most of our own curriculum with a few used/old books thrown in as is needed. I will buy reading books that go along with a subject that I feel will help them progress more positively.
  • sweetr0se
    August 12 at 2:33 PM

No I'm going to a public online school, he's got teachers that do all that for me!

• mommy2cristian
    August 12 at 6:45 PM

Which school if you don't mind me asking?

Quoting sweetr0se:

No I'm going to a public online school, he's got teachers that do all that for me!

• TJandKarasMom
    August 12 at 8:29 PM

My kids are in the middle of their first virtual class and they HATE it.  I won't make them try it again for a while.  I will make them finish this course, and hope by the end of it they enjoy it more (they are half way through and it is a keyboarding/internet safety class...so I hope they will learn to enjoy it and it will help them understand how to do this better in future classes...but as of right now I have told them they don't have to do anymore this school year or for another year or two).

So I wouldn't recommend it for a younger child (mine are 6th and 7th graders).  I would look into a full curriculum if you aren't comfortable, or even use Easy Peasy and supplement where you feel necessary (for his age you may not need to supplement at all, she has sooo much on that website and it's all free and in order with links to websites and everything for you/him).

That being said, I was anxious our first year (with 5th and 6th graders) but I still pieced things together and we did just fine.  I am sure you would too with a younger kiddo.  But it's all about your comfort level, his needs, and your budget ;)

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN