Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
sarah_beth
Homeschool book/curriculum lending library?
August 7 at 3:23 PM

Ok, so I had this idea of setting up a lending library of books and curriculum for homeschoolers in my area.  I think it would be a great assett here.  But, since it's me coming up with the idea I don't know that I could get very many people on board for it.  I'm the "new girl", both to the area and to homeschooling (Actually, I've been here for 4 years now).  

Anyway, do you have something like that where you are or would you ever consider it?

How would you suggest putting a lending library together for homeschoolers?

Replies

• AutymsMommy
    August 7 at 3:58 PM

I'm not really sure how that would work. You would have to first stock it with curriculum (you would need enough capital to do so), and you would have to come to terms with the fact that there is NO WAY curriculum used for an entire year by another family would be returned in the same condition (simply not possible after a year of use).

• suziejax
    August 10 at 7:02 PM

That is ok that your new to the area. I am new here only been here 9 months now. How do you meet other homeschoolers? If you are in a group there or groups or an online local forum... annouce your intentions there. Do you have a space in your home to put items? If you do I would have a day of the week or certains hours people could come by to donate or get books. I would have them come by appiontment only. Or you could do what I used to do. I would annouce to my group & other groups I was not a part of but friends where that on a certain day of the year I would meet at the local park.... all cars had to line up in parking spaces with their trunks facing out. Lay your books to share for free in the trunk neatly or on the trunk.. then people would walk from car to car shopping for free. It only took a few hours! I would also tell people to bring educational toys & games & craft items they no longer wanted. It was GREAT! I had people vip with me if they where going to be a free vender so I would know how many to exspect and have them all grouped together. I even had a friend who sold Pamerperd chef at the time who wanted to set up a lemonaide stand & give out her cards! I said sure. It was so much fun watching all the parents shop free. SO to keep it easy if you do not have a space do a public book swap like that at a local park! 

• Bluerose1482
    August 10 at 7:45 PM

Where are you going to get the materials from and where are you going to store them?  How will you decide who can use them and what happens if they lose critical pieces or otherwise damage (beyond typical use) the materials or just plain don't return them?

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    August 11 at 9:04 AM
    I belong to a homeschool lending library. My friend has an entire basement filled with books. She has over 10000. Her location is horrible though so I will probably stop. Do you have enough books to supply a need? Is your location convenient for people to stop by and check out books.
  • jen2150
    by jen2150
    August 11 at 9:06 AM
    My friend charges $30 per year. Personally I love the idea of a private library.
  • sarah_beth
    August 11 at 9:33 AM

I am just starting out homeschooling, but have been acquiring a bit of a variety.  My goal is that anyone that has books they are no longer using, could contribute.  Also, I occassionally find good deals at Goodwill stores and such. Literature like Wuthering Heights, Shakespear and Hemingway.  Curriculum like Pearson, Abeka, BJU, etc.  I am located in town.  (In a town of a few thousand, that's walking distance for anyone that doesn't live out in the ocuntry, lol.)  

I can utilize one of my book cases.  I have posted on one of the local facebook groups about it and am slowly getting some interest.  (like a few people)

Quoting jen2150: I belong to a homeschool lending library. My friend has an entire basement filled with books. She has over 10000. Her location is horrible though so I will probably stop. Do you have enough books to supply a need? Is your location convenient for people to stop by and check out books.

• kirbymom
    August 11 at 12:01 PM
    I think that is an interesting idea. If you have the basics already, you can always build from there. Especially if there is a need in your area.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts