Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Precious333
what is normal for these ages?
July 16 at 1:15 AM
My 7-8 yr old is super emotional, has meltdowns consistantly. He use to be very obedient, and now argues amd questions everything. He thinks he friends dont 'think he is special' (another words they dont get excited jumping up and down when they see him all the time). He doesnt want to sleep.n

Replies

• hipmomto3
    July 16 at 5:06 PM

My oldest (now 11.5) was super emotional around age 8-9. I think that's normal. The disrupted sleep habits too. I even resorted to giving her 1/2 of a melatonin tablet at bedtime for about a month. That seemed to help regulate her back where she should be and she was a lot better after that. She just started to really worry about a lot of things around that age and it caused insomnia and all kinds of stress. She still worries a lot, but she manages it better. We started helping her get a lot more exercise too, like taking walks after dinner, and DH started running/biking with her in the early morning. Maybe extra exercise could help your son.

For the 3 y/o, I'd say why not have the evaluation? They are usually free and MOST of the time the result is reassurance that your child is exactly where they should be, developmentally. If there is an issue, it's so much easier to address and treat early than later. I know it can be hard as the mom to think there might be anything at all 'wrong' with your child. I've experienced it as a mom (I put off having my son's hearing evaluated, but so glad once I did and he got the help he needed) AND as a teacher, having to approach parents and tell them their child has developmental delays. 

You might be able to find Denver Screening forms online (not sure if they are available). Many pediatricians use these and I used them in the school where I taught. You could see where your child falls on that - it could help you know if your doctor is onto something or totally off base. 

• Precious333
    July 16 at 6:03 PM
    Thanks. We were using thse herbs to help with sleep, i need to start it again.

Quoting hipmomto3:

My oldest (now 11.5) was super emotional around age 8-9. I think that's normal. The disrupted sleep habits too. I even resorted to giving her 1/2 of a melatonin tablet at bedtime for about a month. That seemed to help regulate her back where she should be and she was a lot better after that. She just started to really worry about a lot of things around that age and it caused insomnia and all kinds of stress. She still worries a lot, but she manages it better. We started helping her get a lot more exercise too, like taking walks after dinner, and DH started running/biking with her in the early morning. Maybe extra exercise could help your son.

For the 3 y/o, I'd say why not have the evaluation? They are usually free and MOST of the time the result is reassurance that your child is exactly where they should be, developmentally. If there is an issue, it's so much easier to address and treat early than later. I know it can be hard as the mom to think there might be anything at all 'wrong' with your child. I've experienced it as a mom (I put off having my son's hearing evaluated, but so glad once I did and he got the help he needed) AND as a teacher, having to approach parents and tell them their child has developmental delays. 

You might be able to find Denver Screening forms online (not sure if they are available). Many pediatricians use these and I used them in the school where I taught. You could see where your child falls on that - it could help you know if your doctor is onto something or totally off base. 

• Chasing3
    July 16 at 6:09 PM

all I can add is reading all those books and listening to all those professionals who were telling me where my child "should" be made me and ds insane. I dropped-out of the conversation when I decided to homeschool and all those problems went away. Is he at grade level? He's a tad low to be honest. Does he show some semsory issues? Yes, at times. Does he struggle a bit with social skills? Sometimes, but I'm seeing great growth.

I'd say, unless your household is in a lot of turmoil and you can't manage it or figure out ways to work thru the tantrums and unless you think this is more than a phase, then don't bother with the comparisons and professional evaluations. 

good luck!!

• Precious333
    July 16 at 6:30 PM

thanks! I see my 3 yr old reacting to my 7/8 yr old's behavoir honestly. I am trying my best to create a calm peaceful home. It is a huge challenge, but I think we are making some progress!

Quoting Chasing3:

all I can add is reading all those books and listening to all those professionals who were telling me where my child "should" be made me and ds insane. I dropped-out of the conversation when I decided to homeschool and all those problems went away. Is he at grade level? He's a tad low to be honest. Does he show some semsory issues? Yes, at times. Does he struggle a bit with social skills? Sometimes, but I'm seeing great growth.I'd say, unless your household is in a lot of turmoil and you can't manage it or figure out ways to work thru the tantrums and unless you think this is more than a phase, then don't bother with the comparisons and professional evaluations. 

good luck!!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts