Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Precious333
what is normal for these ages?
July 16 at 1:15 AM
My 7-8 yr old is super emotional, has meltdowns consistantly. He use to be very obedient, and now argues amd questions everything. He thinks he friends dont 'think he is special' (another words they dont get excited jumping up and down when they see him all the time). He doesnt want to sleep.n

Replies

• Precious333
    July 16 at 1:19 AM
    Oops, sent too early.....
    He doesnt want to sleep in his bed at night. He has trouble with self control at times.

My 3-4 yr old I always thought as right on track, a very smart kid. My doctor recently suggested to check into sensory processing disorder. I dont see him as having characteristics besides still having temper tantrums and his fine motor skills need a bit fine tuning, but he really has no interest in writing. Should I expect him to be writing?
  • hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    July 16 at 9:05 AM

I think that the books that tell you what a child "should" be doing at a certain age should be burned.  They used to make me so darn nutty cuz my oldest doesn't fit the mold at all.  I don't know how concerned I would be that he shows no interest in writing, but boys do typically need more fine motor skill practice.  I used to have those lace up cardboard shapes, but my guys always tied them all together and tied knots in them.  Still good practice, but I would be frustrated because that was NOT how they were supposed to be used.  Does he like drawing at all, or is that the same category as writing?  If you've always felt he was on track, I would say you're probably right.  We spend the most time with our kids, doctor's see them for 15 minutes a year.  And my sensory guy shows off all his worst behaviors when he's been left waiting in a room for an appointment he doesn't want (that may include shots), so by the time the doc comes in, he's full on meltdown.  Which is far from his all the time behavior.

As for the 7-8 yo, he sounds like my daughter, except the obedient part.  She has her good days, and she has her bad days, and then she has those days where you have no frickin' clue how to even deal with the level she brings.  I was online looking at an article about these 9 houses around the world with indoor slides.  Pretty cool.  Oh my goodness, you would think I tried to kill her the drama she brought about not having an indoor slide in our house.  That tantrum still has me shaking my head.  Oh, and she's 8.5, but this has been her FOREVER.  I'm not sure what I need to do to reassure her, but she's tiring me out.

In short, your kids sound like mine.  Sorry.  :)

Quoting Precious333: Oops, sent too early..... He doesnt want to sleep in his bed at night. He has trouble with self control at times. My 3-4 yr old I always thought as right on track, a very smart kid. My doctor recently suggested to check into sensory processing disorder. I dont see him as having characteristics besides still having temper tantrums and his fine motor skills need a bit fine tuning, but he really has no interest in writing. Should I expect him to be writing?

• KrissyKC
    July 16 at 9:24 AM
    Did you ask the doc why he was suggesting such an evaluation?

If he cannot give you strong reasons, he could be the kind of doc that leans toward recommending such stuff because its the thing these days. If so, I'd be looking for another doc or just take his opinion with a grain of salt.
  • coala
    by coala
    July 16 at 10:31 AM

I just want to say that I have an 8 yo who is super emotional and her feelings get hurt easily.

She has a friend the same age (boy)....I have never meet a more emotional boy.  He still crawls into bed with his parents because he doesn't want to sleep "alone", but he shares a room with his sister who just turned 5(please no judging this family has been trough a lot in the last 2 years financially).  He can be incredibly whiny and drives me absolutely crazy to watch him act like this and in 5 minutes he is ALL boy again.

I'm not sure what you are going through at your house, but my kids drive my insane with the constant emotions and temper tantrums.  I swear to you that 5 was worse than 2.  Mine tend to slow down with the temper tantrums between 6 and 7, then by 8 they are super emotional.  I just can't explain it.

• Analugojana
    July 16 at 10:55 AM
    Same here. My dd is almost 8 and I swear to you, she's way more difficult than the 2 year old. Super emotional, goes from one mood to the exact opposite in half a second. Drives me batty. I always have to check my responses, think twice before I say anything. If it just rings somewhat hash to her is doomsday. I hope it will pass. And then they'll be teenagers:(
  • Precious333
    July 16 at 11:12 AM
    That makes me feel better!

My 3 yr old still scribbles and then.gives up. T seems he doesnt hold the pencil.correctly either. I think I will try gettinf the lace up boards and also have him practice cutting.

Quoting hwblyf:

I think that the books that tell you what a child "should" be doing at a certain age should be burned.  They used to make me so darn nutty cuz my oldest doesn't fit the mold at all.  I don't know how concerned I would be that he shows no interest in writing, but boys do typically need more fine motor skill practice.  I used to have those lace up cardboard shapes, but my guys always tied them all together and tied knots in them.  Still good practice, but I would be frustrated because that was NOT how they were supposed to be used.  Does he like drawing at all, or is that the same category as writing?  If you've always felt he was on track, I would say you're probably right.  We spend the most time with our kids, doctor's see them for 15 minutes a year.  And my sensory guy shows off all his worst behaviors when he's been left waiting in a room for an appointment he doesn't want (that may include shots), so by the time the doc comes in, he's full on meltdown.  Which is far from his all the time behavior.

As for the 7-8 yo, he sounds like my daughter, except the obedient part.  She has her good days, and she has her bad days, and then she has those days where you have no frickin' clue how to even deal with the level she brings.  I was online looking at an article about these 9 houses around the world with indoor slides.  Pretty cool.  Oh my goodness, you would think I tried to kill her the drama she brought about not having an indoor slide in our house.  That tantrum still has me shaking my head.  Oh, and she's 8.5, but this has been her FOREVER.  I'm not sure what I need to do to reassure her, but she's tiring me out.

In short, your kids sound like mine.  Sorry.  :)

Quoting Precious333: Oops, sent too early.....
    He doesnt want to sleep in his bed at night. He has trouble with self control at times.

My 3-4 yr old I always thought as right on track, a very smart kid. My doctor recently suggested to check into sensory processing disorder. I dont see him as having characteristics besides still having temper tantrums and his fine motor skills need a bit fine tuning, but he really has no interest in writing. Should I expect him to be writing?

• Precious333
    July 16 at 11:18 AM
    She said because it seemed he was tuning the.world out when she was talking with him. Then she made all these assumptions based on that. She played patty cake.type of game to see if he could hit her hand with the hand across and he was struggling with that. She also had him draw a pictures. Most of her reasons were assumptions and out conversations kept getting interrupted.

Quoting KrissyKC: Did you ask the doc why he was suggesting such an evaluation?

If he cannot give you strong reasons, he could be the kind of doc that leans toward recommending such stuff because its the thing these days. If so, I'd be looking for another doc or just take his opinion with a grain of salt.
  • Precious333
    July 16 at 11:23 AM
    Last night he was refusing to.go to bed. We had them in their bed at 8:30 but Damien kept getting out. Finally we moved him to the livingroom and he fell asleep at 12 when daddy laued down with him. Then he woke in.the middle of the night and we did this all over again. He tries to sleep in our bed, but we dont have the room since the baby is in thete and sometimes the 3 yr old.

Quoting coala:

I just want to say that I have an 8 yo who is super emotional and her feelings get hurt easily.

She has a friend the same age (boy)....I have never meet a more emotional boy.  He still crawls into bed with his parents because he doesn't want to sleep "alone", but he shares a room with his sister who just turned 5(please no judging this family has been trough a lot in the last 2 years financially).  He can be incredibly whiny and drives me absolutely crazy to watch him act like this and in 5 minutes he is ALL boy again.

I'm not sure what you are going through at your house, but my kids drive my insane with the constant emotions and temper tantrums.  I swear to you that 5 was worse than 2.  Mine tend to slow down with the temper tantrums between 6 and 7, then by 8 they are super emotional.  I just can't explain it.

• Leissaintexas
    July 16 at 11:23 AM
    For the 3 year old, I wouldn't worry about the writing just yet. Cutting with scissors, playing with Lego's, things like that are good muscle and skill builders for pre writers.
    I can't help you with the emotional 7 year old. All mine have personalities just like their dad. Negative emotions get expressed as anger. They don't explode, they simmer. I'd love a good outburst occasionally.
  • Precious333
    July 16 at 11:24 AM
    Oh no, lets not think about them as teenagers!

Quoting Analugojana: Same here. My dd is almost 8 and I swear to you, she's way more difficult than the 2 year old. Super emotional, goes from one mood to the exact opposite in half a second. Drives me batty. I always have to check my responses, think twice before I say anything. If it just rings somewhat hash to her is doomsday. I hope it will pass. And then they'll be teenagers:(

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN