Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Bluecalm
Really pleased with Saxon Math
July 14 at 3:41 PM
I got the second grade curriculum for my 7 year old who has a language disorder. We just started last week, but so far, so good. The repetition is really helping him to catch on and he's so proud of himself and is gaining confidence. Yay!

Replies

• hipmomto3
    July 18 at 9:50 AM

Yeah, we totally skipped The Meeting portion because it was just so dull and IMO pointless. As long as the child can count 1 to 100 and knows the days of the week in the right order, why bother? Every once in awhile I'd review some aspect that was covered in the meeting (like, "can you touch your left foot?") just to make sure they'd not forgotten key things, but that was it. We never even filled in any of our meeting books.

Quoting KrissyKC:  My kids started out doing it well, but the daily meeting thing got unappreciated really fast. They would sigh and roll their eyes when doing the meeting part. They did the lesson with me great, but doing the work was like ripping our hair out slowly. It only got worse every day. 

• Bluecalm
    July 18 at 11:31 AM
    What grade was that for? We're doing second grade and review the previously taught lessons during the morning meeting. Today he did the calendar, the weather graph, the birthday graph he had made, counting on the hundreds chart, counting by ten,practicing doubles, and telling time. It is repetitive, but that's what my son needs so it's perfect for him.

Quoting hipmomto3:

Yeah, we totally skipped The Meeting portion because it was just so dull and IMO pointless. As long as the child can count 1 to 100 and knows the days of the week in the right order, why bother? Every once in awhile I'd review some aspect that was covered in the meeting (like, "can you touch your left foot?") just to make sure they'd not forgotten key things, but that was it. We never even filled in any of our meeting books.

Quoting KrissyKC:  My kids started out doing it well, but the daily meeting thing got unappreciated really fast. They would sigh and roll their eyes when doing the meeting part. They did the lesson with me great, but doing the work was like ripping our hair out slowly. It only got worse every day. 

• SamuraiQueen
    July 19 at 11:53 AM

Good for you! We started the 2nd grade curriculum this month, and the review has been good for my dd. It's working well so far, so we'll stick with this curriculum.

• KrissyKC
    July 22 at 2:42 PM
    I could see the math meeting working with my third child who is 6 now. However, my second child was the one who used 2nd grade saxon. He was a first grader even and found the morning meeting very boring. I am trying to remember, but I may have done some of the review and such. I know we skipped much of it after the first month or two.

Quoting Bluecalm: What grade was that for? We're doing second grade and review the previously taught lessons during the morning meeting. Today he did the calendar, the weather graph, the birthday graph he had made, counting on the hundreds chart, counting by ten,practicing doubles, and telling time. It is repetitive, but that's what my son needs so it's perfect for him.

Quoting hipmomto3:

• Bluecalm
    July 22 at 3:36 PM

Quoting KrissyKC: I could see the math meeting working with my third child who is 6 now. However, my second child was the one who used 2nd grade saxon. He was a first grader even and found the morning meeting very boring. I am trying to remember, but I may have done some of the review and such. I know we skipped much of it after the first month or two.
    Quoting Bluecalm: What grade was that for? We're doing second grade and review the previously taught lessons during the morning meeting. Today he did the calendar, the weather graph, the birthday graph he had made, counting on the hundreds chart, counting by ten,practicing doubles, and telling time. It is repetitive, but that's what my son needs so it's perfect for him.
    Quoting hipmomto3:

Yeah, I could see that. We're on lesson 7 and the parts he gets he's saying the answers to before I can read the question. He seems a little puzzled by why I keep asking the same questions lol. But it is totally the right curriculum for him. When his face lights up and he says "I'm so good at this!" and I'm sitting there all teary-eyed I am so glad I got it for him.

I had planned to use this for first grade with my little guy who is 4 now, but I think the repetition will drive him nuts. I'd have to cut short the morning meeting part for him.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts