Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
tntmom1027
How did you/do you homeschool your 2nd Grader?
July 1 at 11:06 PM

Just curious what other's schedules were like for 2nd grade. 

Also and advice/tips/tricks greatly appreciated.

My son is 6(will be 7 in Oct.). We pulled him out of Kinder during this last winter break to homeschool. As his birthday is in late Oct. he missed the cut off dates for Kinder the year previous even though he was ready. We put him into a private preschool so he could get used to some structure and they covered mostly what kinder was going to cover. We also have always done a lot at home so it was a bit of a review then as well. He loved it because not only was is pre-k it was owned by a gymnastics company and so they spent a good amount of time moving around and learning basic gymnastics. He loved it because he prefer to stay active. 

Anyways we pulled him out of Kinder and continued with 1st grade and covered most everything needed. So we are moving onto 2nd grade this fall. I've purchased Saxon math 3 for him and had planned on continuing to use lessonpathways.com for a large majority of the rest while filling in with other things either of my own making or free finds I get online. 

He is great at Math and Science and tends to memorize most anything. Loves to be more hands on and move around. 

So that is us but would love to hear about others experiences with 2nd grade. 

Replies

• Precious333
    July 1 at 11:21 PM
    I use classical conversations with all my kids (foundations covers all subject for grades k1-6). So we did that the class weekly, and continued at home. I also had a math curriculum (singapore, then math u see) math is a struggle for my 2nd-3rd grader. We also did all about spelling and we did reading. My kids alsp did some PE and swimming as well as fine arts, piano and spanish.
  • jen2150
    by jen2150
    July 1 at 11:38 PM
    I mostly just followed their interests for history and science. We did about two hours of sit down work split into a morning and afternoon session. We followed a eclectic Charlotte Mason method. Our days consisted mostly of reading together the most. We played a lot of educational games as well. Our favorite programs are math u see, click n read, story of the world, and life of Fred. We also used co-op classes to reinforce areas they were interested in.
  • tntmom1027
    July 1 at 11:49 PM

Thanks guys, we tried Sotw for a few weeks this summer and he didn't seem to grasp much, but I found a set for cheap(had borrowed the one we tried) so we may try it later this year again. 

We are also lucky to have a huge homeschooling groups both here in a our smaller college down and the city near by with lots of co-ops and field trips. 

I'm going to have read more into Charlotte Mason Method. 

• Codysmom2106
    July 2 at 8:20 AM

Math: math u see beta

shurley english

science: apologia (solar system)

history: story if the world volume 1

la,spelling,writing, phonics: spectrum work books

vocabulary/spelling: flash cards and national spelling bee lists

spanish: year 1 k12

as well as reading books and doing book reports

hes 8 and is going into 3rd grade now. Science and history we alternated as well as la/writing and spelling/phonics. I also would take one day usually Wednesday and make it a "lighter" work day. On Wednesday we would try and find something that interested him and do that. 

• NYCitymomx3
    July 2 at 9:18 AM

We used Ambleside Online Year 1 (secularly) and a few cheap math workbooks.  I think it was probably my favorite homeschooling year.  I'm in love with the Charlotte Mason method.  As a matter of fact, after a couple of years of reading remediation and using various other curricula, I'm back to using AO again (Pre-Year 7) now with my 13 y/o.

• kmath
    by kmath
    July 2 at 10:00 AM

We used Math Mammoth which he hated.  We ended up doing more in Khan and MobyMax near the end of the year and he did so much better with it.  We are going to try Beast Academy for third grade.  We used SOTW for History and doing the activities seemed to help him retain it better than just reading it.  We made up our own science curric.  We did some Magic School Bus Kits, which he LOVED and then picked other topics he wanted to study and did various experiments and research for them.  LA we used Voyages in English, Explode the Code, and Handwriting w/out Tears.  We watched a TON of documentaries and Mythbusters was a favorite as well.  We did a ton of field trips and projects as well.

• tntmom1027
    July 2 at 2:49 PM

I came across AO last night while looking at Charlotte Mason Method. I still have to look at it more this week and see how much of the recommended books etc I can find for free or cheap. :) 

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

We used Ambleside Online Year 1 (secularly) and a few cheap math workbooks.  I think it was probably my favorite homeschooling year.  I'm in love with the Charlotte Mason method.  As a matter of fact, after a couple of years of reading remediation and using various other curricula, I'm back to using AO again (Pre-Year 7) now with my 13 y/o.

• NYCitymomx3
    July 2 at 5:27 PM

I got almost all the books free (on the Kindle) or really cheap (used).  If you have any questions about AO, ask away!

Quoting tntmom1027:

I came across AO last night while looking at Charlotte Mason Method. I still have to look at it more this week and see how much of the recommended books etc I can find for free or cheap. :) 

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

• hipmomto3
    July 2 at 5:55 PM

We use Sonlight so that covers a lot of geography, history, and reading/LA. We use Saxon math. Also at that age, I try to keep "school" time under two hours a day, but provide a lot of other opportunities (music, sports, sewing, cooking, tumbling, etc) for them to take classes and learn other things. I think early elementary is a great time to expose them to lots of things, so they can find what really interests them and then focus more on that as they get older.

• tntmom1027
    July 2 at 7:42 PM

Sounds very similar to what we did last year(except different grade level of course). My brother gave my son a science kit a few xmas's ago. We hadn't gotten to do a ton of it and it was a bit advanced at that time. We used it for a large portion of our science this year and he absolutely loved it. I'm trying to find another that is a bit more advanced but still a good buy. Since this last one came with most of the "gear" needed I may just try and find supplies instead. 

Quoting kmath:

We used Math Mammoth which he hated.  We ended up doing more in Khan and MobyMax near the end of the year and he did so much better with it.  We are going to try Beast Academy for third grade.  We used SOTW for History and doing the activities seemed to help him retain it better than just reading it.  We made up our own science curric.  We did some Magic School Bus Kits, which he LOVED and then picked other topics he wanted to study and did various experiments and research for them.  LA we used Voyages in English, Explode the Code, and Handwriting w/out Tears.  We watched a TON of documentaries and Mythbusters was a favorite as well.  We did a ton of field trips and projects as well.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN