Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Reina13
How do you build their self esteem?
by Reina13
July 1 at 2:28 PM

My son is developmentally delayed ( I think I've mentioned this before) and although he is 9, he is more along the lines of a 5 year old. He is learning to read and only understands a few site words. We are working on this and we constantly praise him but I can see when he is around other kids how shaky his self esteem is.

What do you do to build your childs educational self esteem? He is very confident in all other areas but when it comes to learning, he really is so very unsure of himself.

Replies

• Bleacheddecay
    July 1 at 9:51 PM

I found this:

http://childrenandfamilies.nt.gov.au/library/scripts/objectifyMedia.aspx?file=pdf/63/09.pdf&siteID=5&str_title=Developmental%20Delay.pdf

Most babies and young children will be happy with
    who they are, if they get messages from you that you
    love them and are proud of what they can do.

•When they start school they will compare themselves
    with other children, no matter how hard you try to
    avoid this. It is important to them to be able to join in
    the games and succeed at school tasks. Talk with
    your child’s teacher, so that your child can get help
    when he needs it.

•Help your child to build his confidence by finding
    things he can enjoy and succeed at. Things like
    fishing, caring for a pet, cooking and growing a
    garden can all be done successfully by most children.
    Follow your child’s interests in finding what he would
    like to do.

•Help him to find groups or clubs and hobbies where
    he will have opportunities to do well

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    July 1 at 10:37 PM
    First praise hard work over accomplishment. We gain confidence by meeting challenges and overcoming them. Maybe set small goals so he can see progress. It is important for kids to know we are proud even when they do not do well. It may help him to find kids that struggle so he knows he is not alone. Read him stories of famous people who struggled. Michael Faraday struggled with stuttering. His teacher and classmates tormented and ridiculed him for not being able to pronounce the letter 'R'.
  • MamaLauri
    July 5 at 3:10 PM

It is great he has self-esteem elsewhere.

Academically he will compare himself to peers. What is important for him to know, is people learn at different rates, but almost (just say all for now) all people can learn. Some take longer and need to work harder. He should be proud of working hard and growing, and not worry about how fast his learning is.

To help him academically: Read-along Songbooks is a joyfully way to building the eye to mouth pathways,(http://www.4mylearn.org/Bookshelf/Bookshelf.html#songBooks). This develops reading, verbal, and interaction skills. 

See http://www.4mylearn.org/Bookshelf/FunGames.html Letter and Number Fun section (bottom of page) for Letter Sounds, Letter Sound Songs, Word Building, and Alpha Animals to build his phonics skills. And poems and animations to learn to print Small Letters, Capital Letters, and Numbers.

He can repeat as often as he needs. Let me know if he needs math help. There is plenty of that on the site or in works, so let me know what he enjoys and benefits from, and I'll point you to more.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts