Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
mem82
High School Science- What would you do?
by mem82
June 23 at 2:48 PM

Missie is ready for high school Science. Would you start her on Chemistry, Biology, Earth Science, or Physics? In PS you get one semester of each for a total of 2 Science credits. I think now they want you to take one more credit now, but maybe not. Where would you start? Curriculum suggestions...anything? LOL

Replies

• 4wildbeasts
    June 23 at 3:26 PM
    When I was in high school we had to do one year of biology, one year of chemistry, and two years of physics in that order.
  • bluerooffarm
    June 23 at 5:14 PM

The more math you know before Chemistry and Physics the better, so I'd do Biology, Earth science, chemistry and physics in that order.  Putting physics and calculus together is the best.

• AutymsMommy
    June 23 at 10:45 PM

I'm not sure. The only co-ops here that offer it are protestant; we both cannot sign their statement of faith, and we also do not want to use the programs they use (young earth - usually Apologia or BJU), so that's out.

Luckily Tony has degrees in biology, physics, and engineering (electrical and computer science), so we *could* cover it at home. I plan to just use college texts, as I haven't come across any high school texts I'm impressed with, with the exception of Hewitt (so we might go with that).

It doesn't really matter what sequence you do it in, imo, so long as you take into account that physics and chem can/are pretty math based - your child generally needs to have mastered algebra 1, if I remember correctly.

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    June 23 at 11:32 PM
    We do biology in the summer and alternate Chemistry and physics during the school year. I have been doing chemistry and physics since 3rd and 4th grade. I like using simple homeschool for our science at home. They have phyics for middle school which is basically a high school science course without the math. This year we are doing chemistry and physics at home and my older son is taking a life science course at co-op this year. So basically we are doing all the sciences in one year. It should be a fun year. Normally for science I pick a central textbook and use living books to supplement. This year we are possibly using apologia's physics and chemistry for young exployers. I am torn between Apologia and simple homeschooling online science course.
  • NYCitymomx3
    June 24 at 12:29 AM

We're probably going to do Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and then an advanced course for 12th grade.  We're leaning toward Apologia. We're Catholic, but the high school books hardly mention anything young earth or overtly Protestant.  Even if it did, we'd skip over it.  It's not like it will convert my kids, lol.  Plus, several Catholic curriculums use Apologia.  It's the only high school program I actually like and the labs are amazing.  Other than that, check out Prentice Hall (Miller Levine) science with their virtual labs.

• hipmomto3
    June 24 at 11:00 AM

I remember when I was in (public) high school, earth science was the lowest/easiest science class you could get credit for, and physics was the most difficult level they offered. I believe it went earth science, biology, chemistry, physics. I think we had to take science for 3 of our 4 years so I never took physics (I was not very great at science or math). I would personally start with earth science and biology but would definitely make sure we covered chemistry at some point.

• AutymsMommy
    June 24 at 11:28 AM

You may want to look into your state requirements for graduation. In some areas earth science is no longer considered a high school credit, and is taken during middle school.

• motheroffour186
    June 24 at 11:59 AM
    I brought a book called Learning Year By Year and i got a teacher card at rhe library.
  • LostTheSlipper
    June 24 at 10:00 PM

In high school our order was:

Earth Science

Biology

Chemistry

Physics

• LostTheSlipper
    June 24 at 10:25 PM

Quoting 4wildbeasts: When I was in high school we had to do one year of biology, one year of chemistry, and two years of physics in that order.

Two years of physics? That would have killed me as that was the worst of them all. I got a B in that class and I don't know how. I knew NOTHING. Ugh. Horrid.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN