Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Codysmom2106
It just occurred to me recently....
June 21 at 12:36 PM

That while my 8 year spells well above grade level I have yet to go over the "rules" with him. Also, when I asked him about phonics beyond single letter sounds he didn't always know what they were. 

I guess my question is at this point is there a curriculum available that would be worth buying for him or shoukd I just stuck with the spectrum workbooks we are using. Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks so much.

Replies

• Reina13
    by Reina13
    June 21 at 12:39 PM

I am going to follow this post as well. I have the same questions.

• AJ_Parks
    June 21 at 8:48 PM
    All about spelling has all the rules and phonics taught in them.
  • jen2150
    by jen2150
    June 21 at 9:36 PM
    It depends if you want something laid out or do most of the work yourself. You can look up spelling rules yourself and supplement the spectrum books. I found for language arts doing it myself required too much work and research. I prefer to follow a curriculum. We use total language plus. There is also a new program called spelling u see.
  • bcogoli
    by bcogoli
    June 21 at 9:59 PM

I have found that doing writing lessons made learning all the rules and phonics easier. I have some son do a journal everyday where he draws a picture and then writes a few sentences about it. We go over the rules and sounding out words while he writes. He started reading better after just a week of doing this. He is only 5 so you might need to adapt this approach if you try this.

• Codysmom2106
    June 22 at 8:38 AM

I prefer to follow a curriculum as well. I appreciate the suggestions. I will look into these. Thank you.

Quoting jen2150: It depends if you want something laid out or do most of the work yourself. You can look up spelling rules yourself and supplement the spectrum books. I found for language arts doing it myself required too much work and research. I prefer to follow a curriculum. We use total language plus. There is also a new program called spelling u see.

• No_Difference
    June 22 at 9:58 AM

If you want something that lays out phonics and rules, All About Spelling is really nice. My kids really enjoy it. The only thing with it - its mastery based, so even though he's ahead with spelling, it is recommended to start with level 1 (although it'd be easy enough to start with level 2 since level 1 is mostly just the basic sounds of the letters and few diagraphs(?). ). You'd zip through the easier levels to get to the level he'd be at. It may even be easy to just get the student packs on the easier levels to go through the cards to learn the rules and sounds of everything... many possibilities with it... 

• hipmomto3
    June 22 at 6:59 PM

My personal feeling on spelling (and spelling well is very important to me!) is that drills and practice aren't necessary if your child spells well. Give them lots of opportunity to write, and then you'll see where they need help. I found vocabulary lessons far more effective in helping me spell well than spelling lists and drills (knowing the base word, the derivation, helps so much when a lot of our English words are an amalgam).

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    June 22 at 7:51 PM

I totally agree.  My son would BATTLE me over spelling.  HOURS of painful fights.  The boy can spell, so now I just let him.  The rules aren't going to help him, and it will cause harm to us to go through things he already knows.  But vocab?  He and his next younger brother are loving using the dictionary and such.  Who knew?

Quoting hipmomto3: 

My personal feeling on spelling (and spelling well is very important to me!) is that drills and practice aren't necessary if your child spells well. Give them lots of opportunity to write, and then you'll see where they need help. I found vocabulary lessons far more effective in helping me spell well than spelling lists and drills (knowing the base word, the derivation, helps so much when a lot of our English words are an amalgam).

• mem82
    by mem82
    June 23 at 7:58 AM
    I would stick with him writing and you correcting as needed. I would just tell him the sounds as it comes up.
  • DyslexiaParent
    June 24 at 11:41 PM

Given that knowing the phonemes and the ability to sound out words becomes more critical as the curriculum advances to multi-syllable words, it would be wise to have him use a program that would teach him those skills.  They have a lot of great phonics/phoneme practice programs you can use.  I have several listed on my website reference page at http://learningabledkids.com/reading/online-interactive-reading-games-and-programs.htm. In the interest of full disclosure, although virtually all of the links are NOT affiliate links, there are a couple that are.  The listing is primarily an easier way for me to document and share good programs without having to retype whenever I'm consulting with someone.  

I'd suggest picking one of the programs and having your DS work on it daily.  The paid programs are great for insuring mastery because they have programming built in to present things in a logical progression.  The free programs are more random in nature.  Either way, hopefully your DS would think the program is fun and would enjoy working with it daily.  Since he hasn't had much difficulty otherwise, I'm guessing he may learn the phonemes quickly and easily given a bit of interactive daily practice. 

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts