Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
AmPriSi
Right Decision?
by AmPriSi
June 12 at 4:24 PM

I question constantly whether I have made the right decision... Am I being fair to my children? My daughter wants to go to public school but she still has in her head that kindergarten will be like preschool, which she only attended for 3 1/2 hrs per day, three days a week. I haven't been able to find any HS groups in my area and they aren't currently in any activities because my husband isn't working and we can't afford it. They don't have any peers to play with other than each other. I don't even know if I have chosen the right curriculum for them. My son is reading from where he was in K last year. Top of his class. My dd who will be 7 in January isn't reading, she says she doesn't want to learn. I didn't enroll her in K this year or she would be going to 1st now. I feel like she is behind for her age.  The biggest reason she says she wants to go to school is because her friends from pre-k are there.  I just feel like I'm doing it all wrong...

Replies

• AutymsMommy
    June 12 at 6:36 PM

I know I'm going to be reamed a new one for this, but here goes...

If I couldn't afford activities, had no co-op, and my children had no children for my own to play with - I wouldn't homeschool. IMO, that would be doing my children a disservice. Education isn't all about academics.

Let the flames begin.

Also, just my two cents - but my children do not learn only what they want. My 5 year old son is learning to read because it's necessary; I never asked if he wanted to, and frankly I don't care if he doesn't want to. It isn't optional. I try to make it as enjoyable as possible (and we do use a fun game based phonics program), but it will be done. I'm not trying to be mean - promise. I do understand the desire for children to love all they do; I just do not think it's realistic or even the best idea.

• AmPriSi
    by AmPriSi
    June 12 at 6:51 PM

I understand your point of view.  We are trying to find a local church with a good youth program.  She will learn whether she wants to or not.  That's not an option, she just says she doesn't want to.  I know she is probably scared because it is new.  I haven't asked her if she wants to learn, I have asked if she would prefer public school.  Somes days it's yes with the question, "will my friends be there?" and some days it's no.  

• tntmom1027
    June 12 at 7:38 PM

Can you not see her friends outside of school? Set up playdates etc. I get the fact about not being able to afford activities but there are other ways to socialize. I would also check out churches like you have said to see if they have any free programs or scholarships for their other programs that have costs. 

With that said I don't think there is any reason she can't try public school and see how it goes for her and you. 

• AmPriSi
    by AmPriSi
    June 12 at 8:32 PM

Normally we could afford activties but my husband hasn't been employed for two months.  My heart tells me that HS is the best for them.  My son never really made many friends in PS.  He was picked on.  He is very smart and very sensitive.  He is extremely shy as well.  My daughter is outgoing and talkative.  She approaches kids at the park, in the store, etc.  She introduces herself and asks their name.  My son would never do that.  

I would hate to put her is PS now because she should be in the 1st grade but because she isn't reading, she would be placed in K.  She will be 7 in January.  

• Bluerose1482
    June 12 at 8:57 PM

What reading program are you using?

• AmPriSi
    by AmPriSi
    June 12 at 9:46 PM
    We are actually doing the easy peasy homeschool curriculum.
  • AutymsMommy
    June 13 at 8:17 AM

Quoting AmPriSi:

I understand your point of view.  We are trying to find a local church with a good youth program.  She will learn whether she wants to or not.  That's not an option, she just says she doesn't want to.  I know she is probably scared because it is new.  I haven't asked her if she wants to learn, I have asked if she would prefer public school.  Somes days it's yes with the question, "will my friends be there?" and some days it's no.  

Asking her if she would rather public school is a bit mean if you really aren't going to consider it.

It is not abnormal at all to have one in public/private and another homeschooled! We did it last year (DD went to a private school; both will be home this year).

Easy Peasy may not be the right fit. I know many enjoy it, but in most of the other homeschool circles I frequent, it is largely considered supplementary, not a comprehensive program. I understand, though, that your budget may be extremely tight. Have you checked HomeschoolClassifieds.com for some used programs? Some fun ones are PAL Reading (what we use), All About Reading, and Logic of English Foundations. You might be able to catch a good deal!

Does she know her letter sounds? If not, can you buy the Leapfrog dvds? Letter Factory and Word Factory specifically.

• AmPriSi
    by AmPriSi
    June 13 at 8:45 AM
    I didn't really consider that it was being mean. My children are very verbal when they are asked what they wish to do. If push came to shove, I would put them back in if I had to.

She does know her letter sounds and recognizes some words.

How much time do you spend a day actually teaching? I don't know anyone that HS and wonder what the time frame consists of. I have considered Abeka previously but that was before I found EP. I still feel very green in this whole area and I think that is where a lot of my insecurities come from...

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting AmPriSi:

Asking her if she would rather public school is a bit mean if you really aren't going to consider it.

It is not abnormal at all to have one in public/private and another homeschooled! We did it last year (DD went to a private school; both will be home this year).

Easy Peasy may not be the right fit. I know many enjoy it, but in most of the other homeschool circles I frequent, it is largely considered supplementary, not a comprehensive program. I understand, though, that your budget may be extremely tight. Have you checked HomeschoolClassifieds.com for some used programs? Some fun ones are PAL Reading (what we use), All About Reading, and Logic of English Foundations. You might be able to catch a good deal!

Does she know her letter sounds? If not, can you buy the Leapfrog dvds? Letter Factory and Word Factory specifically.

• bluerooffarm
    June 13 at 9:01 AM

Well, is there a public library around?  How about a public playground?  A church group?  A local park?  There are lots of free activities, they simply require more work to locate them.  I live in a VERY rural area, but I have found free activities for my kids.  My hubby hasn't had a paycheck since January, so I seriously feel ya!  There is a state park a half hour away that has some free programs.  There is a teeny tiny local library that has a reading program once a week.  And there is a public playground where the kids can meet up with their ps friends.

If you feel like you are doing a disservice particularly to your DD, you could send her to PS this upcoming year.  Many people hold their child back from Kinder around here.  

Have you been working with her in reading?  I've never met a child who had no interest whatsoever in learning to read.  (And I was a PS teacher).  Just kids who hadn't found a reason to learn or a book that really caught their interest.  My son told me he didn't want to learn to read, but he wanted Goosebump books.  So we used all books that were creepy ghost story kind of books and he learned how to read.  

Fostering reading interest can be easy.  Take her to a library and have her pick out 1 picture book, 1 history story, 1 science discovery book, 1 book about another country or culture, 1 book that instructs on how to do something (like crochet or bike riding or sewing or making candy), 1 cookbook, and 1 chapter book.  Set aside a half hour every single day where she does nothing but peruse the books from the library.  Make her a comfy area with a pillow or blanket or bean bag, but no visual stimulation except the books.  She may only look through the pictures, but eventually she'll get curious.

• Leissaintexas
    June 13 at 10:04 AM
    Just a different perspective here, but my youngest didn't read till he was 9. The harder I pushed, the more he dug his heels in, he's just that way. I let it go and he took off on his own. He now reads at grade level.
    As for the social aspect, like someone else said, there are free options out there. You just have to hunt for them. For us, once we decided to homeschool,public school just was not an option, and my kids know this. That kind of unwavering commitment got me through some of the tougher aspects of this journey...when you know you have no other option, you determine to find a way to make it work.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN