Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Lordgodempress
Suggestions?
June 12 at 10:22 AM

Hi there,

I was wondering if you ladies had a suggestion for some sort of learning aid for math, I dont know even what they are called but basically my DD 7 has some trouble grasping math concepts but I learned that if I incorporated something she can touch she gets it right away, we used legos but it was pretty limited because she doesn't have that many and she likes to put them together and leave them that way and gets upset if I have to take them apart for math, so I am looking for something I can use specifically for this, like beads or something.  I am trying to look for something but my mind keeps drawing a blank.

Replies

• kmath
    by kmath
    June 12 at 10:40 AM

Look for math manipulatives on Amazon or Rainbow Resource.  They have a gazillion different things you can use.

• MaryJarrett
    June 12 at 11:00 AM
    We use foods along with manipulatives. Annie's bunny crackers are a favorite here.
  • Leissaintexas
    June 12 at 11:12 AM
    We used counting bears. She's just a kinistestic learner, manipulatives are a must. I've used beans,m&ms, pennies,rocks...
    Have you looked at Math-u-see?
  • Jinx-Troublex3
    June 12 at 12:03 PM
    Math U see is awesome for kinestetic learners. If you dont want the whole MUS program you could just order the manipulatves.
  • Liamoondancer
    June 13 at 11:29 AM

The Dollar store sells bags of colored glass stones for in flower vases, etc.  I buy 3-4 different colors in several different sizes.  For example, the small blue  stones are ones, the medium red rectangles are 10's, the large white opaque  are 1oo's,  The children also like the bright colors and the feel of the stones.  We store them in empty peanut butter jars.

• bluerooffarm
    June 13 at 1:08 PM

Math U See and Miquon math both have great manipulatives!

• No_Difference
    June 15 at 7:12 AM

You can use just about anything for math manipulatives. We used stickers, legos, toy cars, stuffed animals, M&Ms, cheerios, etc. 
    You can find online or at learning stores actual blocks...
    Have you looked into Math U See? It's all about using manipulatives to actually SEE how the math concept plays out. They have special blocks that coincide with the program. Most manipulatives are just 1 blocks, 5 blocks, 10 blocks, 100 blocks, 1000 blocks. Math U See's blocks are 1 blocks, 2 blocks, ... 10 blocks, 100 blocks. The blocks are used for almost all the books I believe...  

• Molimomma
    June 15 at 10:37 AM

We have used dollar store glass "gems", plastic fake gold coins, plastic frogs & butterflies, glittery Easter eggs, unifix cubes, plastic knights, those spiky little balls they sell at party stores for goody bags....all sorts of stuff!

• coala
    by coala
    June 16 at 10:53 AM

We have used coins, crayons, beads, legos, baby dolls, straws cut in half.....just about anything we can find around the house.

Another thing we use is an abacus that we found at Ikea for $10.00.  My youngest LOVES this.  It is currently packed away and she is sad that she has to use something else for "counters".

• ablackdolphin
    June 16 at 2:18 PM

Lakeshor learning has some fun things.  People, vehicles, coins, animals etc in a big bucket.  I have a few that are fun!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN