Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
somuchlove4U
Would you do this?
June 7 at 8:07 PM

Would you go into debt to pay for curriculum? As in apply for a loan to pay for the curriculum you wanted, or would you go a cheaper route and save money for the next year? 

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    June 7 at 8:36 PM

No.  I don't believe I would go into debt for our curriculum.  There are inexpensive options out there. 

• TidewaterClan
    June 7 at 9:15 PM

No debt until college, lol.  Seriously though, there are tons of good used books on Amazon, books to borrow at the library, etc.  I wouldn't go into debt myself.

• somuchlove4U
    June 7 at 9:36 PM

I agree. I wouldn't take a loan out for homeschooling. Especially when I know I can do it cheaply. I'm asking because I just recently heard of someone close to me getting a loan so they could buy the curriculum they wanted. It blew my mind. Especially since she knows that there are cheaper options out there. 

Quoting TidewaterClan:

No debt until college, lol.  Seriously though, there are tons of good used books on Amazon, books to borrow at the library, etc.  I wouldn't go into debt myself.

• Bluerose1482
    June 7 at 9:43 PM

It depends on what the cirriculum was and why I felt like I had to have that particular one.  But generally, my finances are such that I can afford what we want/need without a loan.

Quoting somuchlove4U:

I agree. I wouldn't take a loan out for homeschooling. Especially when I know I can do it cheaply. I'm asking because I just recently heard of someone close to me getting a loan so they could buy the curriculum they wanted. It blew my mind. Especially since she knows that there are cheaper options out there. 

Quoting TidewaterClan:

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    June 8 at 7:51 AM
    Never. We are planning on teaching our kids not to go into debt for anything including college. One of the reasons I do my own history is because the ones I like are too expensive.
  • hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    June 8 at 9:08 AM

Yeah, I think going into debt for curriculum is a bad idea.  That said, our financial situation changed for this year and I'm sad to forego all my books.  Addictions can't always be fed, though!

• kmath
    by kmath
    June 8 at 9:15 AM

I wouldn't do it.  If I can't afford it then I don't need it.  There are so many options out there that don't require selling a kidney and they are just as good as the expensive ones.

• HarrisonMD
    June 8 at 10:52 AM

I'm cheap! lol...so I always find stuff at cost or free! Right now the kids are little, 4 and 2 so curriculum right now is easy!

• Codysmom2106
    June 8 at 11:40 AM

No I wouldn't. I have enough debt as it is. I'm putting money aside every week to pay for next years curriculum. 

• Bleacheddecay
    June 8 at 12:07 PM

There is no way I would go into debt over schooling.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts