Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
BellaRose17
Thoughts on Sonlight?
May 30 at 10:05 PM

I am leaning toward purchasing the first grade curriculum package from Bookshark which is essentially Sonlight minus the spiritual/religious aspect but I'm curious:

What do you think of Sonlight? Do you enjoy it? What do you like most about it? Is the reading overwhelming and hard to accomplish? I've heard that the read alouds are too much for some parents to accomplish successfully everyday...Would it work for a hands-on learner?

What are your thoughts? Tell me everything :)

Replies

• TidewaterClan
    May 30 at 11:05 PM

I haven't used their products, but here's a bump.

• BellaRose17
    May 31 at 1:06 PM
    thank you :)
    Quoting TidewaterClan:

I haven't used their products, but here's a bump.

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    May 31 at 4:00 PM
    I love the idea but prefer picking my own books. We use the approach and have found read aloud curriculum not to be too much. We love reading together. I have found they learn the most when we read together. We do written work in the morning and our reading in the afternoon.
  • jen2150
    by jen2150
    May 31 at 4:01 PM
    I also found it too pricey for me. I enjoy putting my own together and it saves a lot of money.
  • Silverkitty
    May 31 at 5:41 PM

We used American History part 2 this year.  My daughter actually enjoyed the books, readers, and read alouds.  We didn't read all the read alouds out loud, but she did read all the books.  

I didn't really like reading and then just answering questions out loud.  I'd prefer reading and doing something with the reading, which is why for her we are using a different curriculum next year.  When my son starts K we might buy from bookshark.

• BellaRose17
    June 1 at 10:40 AM

It is very pricey!! Lol I am using it for our first time around mainly because of the structure and how everything is already preplanned. I am hoping that once I become more confident and experienced in teaching that I will be able to develop our own as well. Unless of course I really love it...which I have a feeling I might. =P

I'm hoping to figure out how to include and incorperate some unit studies into our homeschool through out the year somehow too...but I have to wait until I have purchased everything and can see what the lesson plans are so I can properly plug extra things in :)

Quoting jen2150: I also found it too pricey for me. I enjoy putting my own together and it saves a lot of money.

• Silverkitty
    June 1 at 12:03 PM

One thing I did with the preplanned lessons is move them, combine them if they were less than what she could do, and made their schedule into mine.  I didn't follow theirs to a T.

Quoting BellaRose17:

It is very pricey!! Lol I am using it for our first time around mainly because of the structure and how everything is already preplanned. I am hoping that once I become more confident and experienced in teaching that I will be able to develop our own as well. Unless of course I really love it...which I have a feeling I might. =P

I'm hoping to figure out how to include and incorperate some unit studies into our homeschool through out the year somehow too...but I have to wait until I have purchased everything and can see what the lesson plans are so I can properly plug extra things in :)

Quoting jen2150: I also found it too pricey for me. I enjoy putting my own together and it saves a lot of money.

• mamatink7
    June 1 at 2:06 PM

i really enjoyed doing sonlight! loved the flexibility of the programming. when i wanted to start back up last year with our other group of kids i could not find this anymore. where can you get the materials? i strongly recommend this as your main curriculm

• melindabelcher
    Mel
    June 2 at 8:20 AM
    We just purchased sonlight a couple months ago and use Cora A for my K and 2nd.
    We love it!!

Quoting mamatink7:

i really enjoyed doing sonlight! loved the flexibility of the programming. when i wanted to start back up last year with our other group of kids i could not find this anymore. where can you get the materials? i strongly recommend this as your main curriculm

• energygirl
    June 2 at 9:44 AM

I love their language arts (my daughter used it for K and 1st and my son used is last year for K). We are planning on sticking with their language and I use Horizon math (which they sell but I buy on the rainbow research site since it's cheaper there.) I have used their read a louds and like them, but honestly you could just look at their list online and then get them from the library and read them aloud at your own pace. (Or even buy a few off amazon etc.. you don't need a lesson plan to tell you how to read aloud..and at the K-2nd grade I think it's best to just enjoy the books without questions afterwards.....)  We did their science and history for K .....but then for the second year just kind of did our own thing with them (using their Usborne childrens encylopedia, living long ago book, and then just library books on animals and plants.  Overall I like sonlight...especially thier language arts.... but for me, the other subjects aren't worth the money for early elementary..... 

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts