Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Bleacher-mom
Why don't you just do K12?
May 17 at 12:29 AM
Has this happened to any of you guys? Lately since there has been so many commercials about K12, I have had a few people (mind you they were against me homeschooling to begin with) tell me what they saw on TV and asked me if I have I thought about it or that I need to look into it.

I usually just tell them we are happy with what we are doing but will consider it when what we are doing ends because it only goes thru 6th grade.

Part of me is thankful to a certain degree that they have accepted that I will continue to homeschool and that my children really are learning and it is nice they are taking some what of an intrest. But the other part of me gets a little irritated because they don't know the countless hours I have spent researching different curriculums (including K12) and different styles of homeschooling. They just see that one out of hundreds that are out there. Once some one says "Have you seen K12 that they've been showing on TV?" I want to just say "Yes, in fact I researched it as well as many, many others that you have never heard of about 5 years ago when you were telling me I shouldn't homeschool at all." Am I wrong for being irritated? Has this happened to you?

Replies

• Beenhereforever
    May 17 at 12:33 AM
    My kids did one year of k12! It was horrible. All day and all night they were constantly doing school work. It was bad. I don't recommend it at all
  • Bleacher-mom
    May 17 at 12:42 AM
    Quoting Beenhereforever: My kids did one year of k12! It was horrible. All day and all night they were constantly doing school work. It was bad. I don't recommend it at ll

Thats what I've heard before! And knowing that you have to meet with a teacher and that there are deadlines wont work for us because we do quite a bit of work during the summer when it's too hot to do anything outside.
  • chotovec82
    May 17 at 1:29 AM

I've never tried K12 nor has anyone suggested that to me. However, I know a few people who consider doing it with their kids. For me, I just don't like the deadlines and the tedious work. Also I think I know what is best for my kids. I don't need the government telling me what I should be using to teach them.

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    May 17 at 7:47 AM
    I will never do k12. I know it works for some people. I value my freedom and love chosing what we are doing each year.
  • mom2gdj
    by mom2gdj
    May 17 at 9:12 AM

K12 is public school being done at home. So it is really not the true meaning of homeschooling.

• tuffymama
    May 17 at 11:30 AM
    HA! How timely. My mom just asked me the other day why I don't just do K12 for LO, because her friend's grandkids are doing K12, and it's so easy for their mom and blah blah blahdy blah blah. I said, "No. I did the research, and my research tells me K12 is crap. Pray for your friend's grandkids, because K12 is so awful." I know it's melodramatic, but being The Most High Drama Queen of the South, she only responds to drama, and evoking Jesus or suffering puppies is a surefire way to get her off my back. My dad, on the other hand, actually emails me all the time with articles about how awful K12 is. LOL. Too bad they aren't speaking. I could just get my dad to email my mom and they could leave me out of it.
  • JasonsMom2007
    May 17 at 11:33 AM
    That's what I usually say. If homeschool I was flexibility not someone dictating what we have to do.

Quoting mom2gdj:

K12 is public school being done at home. So it is really not the true meaning of homeschooling.

• Bleacher-mom
    May 17 at 12:06 PM
    Quoting JasonsMom2007: That's what I usually say. If homeschool I was flexibility not someone dictating what we have to do.

Quoting mom2gdj:

Exactly. The past couple of weeks we have taken a break from school work to help my mom with her move and the last person who brought it up to me was at my mom's house. Along with other things I said about K12 I let it be known that because of the deadlines we would not have been able to help her like we have if we were using K12.
  • Bleacher-mom
    May 17 at 12:08 PM
    Quoting jen2150: I will never do k12. I know it works for some people. I value my freedom and love chosing what we are doing each year.

Same here. I love what we do and the freedom that we have.
  • mamabens
    May 17 at 12:21 PM

Yes! K12 isn't offered in our state and my mom actually argued with me that it was because someone at wok told her it was. We live close to ohio so the ads they saw were for Ohio.....I just gave up and told her we were fine. 

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts