Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
ali840
Need help to start homeschooling
by ali840
May 15 at 4:39 PM

My kids are 10 and 7. They have been in public school (which I have never been thrilled with) but our school district is making some changes and I just cannot in good consience continue to send them there. I want to homeschool, I just get so overwhelmed when I think about it, I don't know where to start! We have some co-ops in the area, I'm not sure what that entails, and if I want to be involved in them or not. Another problem is that we are bursting at the seams in our house, we have NO extra space for supplies, or anything. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• MamaToHerRoo
    May 31 at 9:46 PM

I remember being very afraid when I started homeschooling.  After more than 7 years of homeschooling I have a few pieces of advice for those just getting started.

1. Homeschooling is a lifestyle not just an education choice.  Part of that means you are going to live school, and part of that means you might find the teachable moment in everything.  I found that I don't really draw a line between what we call school and what we call life.

2.  You need support.  Whether that is a co-op or play group, or just friends you go on field trips with, you need the outlet to talk to other parents who are facing the same issues, and your kids need the outlet of other kids who are learning in a similar educational philosophy.

3.  You need a good curriculum.  Don't be afraid to think outside the box, and don't buy a complete curriculum until you figure out the way your kids learn.  We started with Time4Learning because it planned lessons for me, and kept great records.  It is online so we were not tied to piles of books and workbooks at the house.  This meant we could go to the library for school, or anyplace we could use the laptop and have internet access.  This would help in your situtation because you would not have to stay in your bursting at the seams house!

I wish you and your children the best as you start this homeschooling journey.  I hope you will enjoy it as much as we do!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN