Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
mem82
Does it annoy you when PSers say they are 'homeschooling' their kids over summer?
by mem82
May 15 at 10:25 AM

Have you ever had anyone tell you they homeschool during the summer? Not just saying that they keep their kids doing educational workbooks so they don't back slide, but claim to be homeschoolers because they do the summerbridge stuff over summer break.

How do you feel about that mindset?

Replies

• SciFiMama91
    May 19 at 2:34 PM

I'm not calling it that, but it's actually going to be how I would homeschool, if I had the resources to do it for more than a couple months.

• Lynette
    by Lynette
    May 19 at 2:39 PM

I have heard that defined as "Afterschooling".  It wouldn't upset me but I would probably tell them that it's called afterschooling and not homeschooling.

• bether89
    May 20 at 2:43 PM

They call it whatever they want.  It doesn't bother me.

• Arianna
    by Arianna
    May 31 at 3:49 AM

It doesn't bother me.  I look at homeschooling as a multitude of different ideals, possibilities, and different outcomes.  A homeschooler, in my opinion, is anyone who teaches their own child.  Doesn't matter to me how long they do it for...whether it is for the whole year, or just the summer.  Home education doesn't have to be a full time endeavor. 

I am happy when I see families getting involved with their child's education.  When I was a kid, school was at school, and home was just play.  I think it is fabulous when parents are proactive in helping their kids to learn through the summer.

I am a homeschooler, but I don't see anything specifically wrong with public school.  It just doesn't work for my family.  For other families, I know it works well.  If they choose to continue education over the summer, then yes...it is home school.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts