Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
noraa21
High school students. (PIOG)
by noraa21
May 15 at 1:35 AM

I was wondering if any one here home schools a high school student, or if you all have littler ones. I have a son who will be in 8th grade next year and after that has asked to go back to homeschooling, which I happily agreed, as the high school he would go to has over 1,500 students and he would be so lost.

I am trying to figure out now before he starts home school where to get some curriculum ideas for a 8th/9th grade level. I really was wanting something mastery based, that is multi sensory, I have a very visual/ hands on learner, who hates to read and write, so trying to find something to fit that is hard, or I am just not looking in the right places yet! Also really don't want anything related/aligned to common core as that is so crappy they don't learn anything from it!  Can be christian or not, as I can tweak that part.

He has adamantly stated he is not going on to college, so I am not pushing for that right now as it will turn him off of learning, just ask his school counselor. Right now he is really interested in becoming a photographer and wanting to learn more about that too. Just was wondering if anyone had any ideas where to look for something like this. Thanks.

Replies

• noraa21
    by noraa21
    May 18 at 2:56 AM

Quoting forest.gyrl:

My daughter is done with school and in the air force now. She's 19 and doing great. Her studies were mainly centered on the basic books I obtained through second hand stores and our local college actually. We can borrow from them if we sign up for the program they offer to allow high school students to study with their library. It was so helpful ! We also do a lot of apprenticeships. It all depends on what you want to focus on though.  

Right now he wants to be a photographer, but then he also says he wants to be a Master Lego builder, but he doesn't want to go to college, so I have no idea, he changes so much.  He has high functioning autism and ADHD, so it's never the same from one day to the next.  He took a photography class this year at school and he loves it, is hoping to get it again for next year. 

I do want to do math, reading, writing, science, and history with him, other than that I think I am going to let him choose what he wants to study, without pushing the college thing, as that will turn him off of learning faster than anything for some reason.

• TidewaterClan
    May 18 at 12:20 PM

What wonderful opportunities she had!  I will definitely look into this, and have my girls try some as they grow older.

Quoting forest.gyrl:

She has life skills now that many girls don't. She can properly maintain her car, make amazing meals, emergency care, and even remove a live hive from her property. Oh and she learned rock climbing, how to care for animals from birth through elderly, and how to properly remove a dead tree safely. I forgot when she apprenticed with the local national forest. I am sure I am missing a lot of others as well.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Thank you!  It's a wonderful idea to find out what they really enjoy, and (as important!) don't.  Your daughter got to try some cool careers!

Quoting forest.gyrl:

She apprenticed through friends and local townfolk that we found by consulting with our librarian. We have worked with a mechanic, an engineer, a chef, a beekeeper, and a hospice nurse. We had to sign some paperwork for liability purposes and they were limited on certain things of course. But it worked out fabulously. 

Quoting TidewaterClan:

I hope you don't mind my asking Forest this OP!

How and when did she do apprenticeships?  My youngest is interested in all things medical, and my oldest science.  I would love to give them the opportunity to try a career out a bit before we pay for any college classes. 

Thank your dd for her service in the USAF if you get a chance. :)

Quoting forest.gyrl:

My daughter is done with school and in the air force now. She's 19 and doing great. Her studies were mainly centered on the basic books I obtained through second hand stores and our local college actually. We can borrow from them if we sign up for the program they offer to allow high school students to study with their library. It was so helpful ! We also do a lot of apprenticeships. It all depends on what you want to focus on though.  

• KrissyKC
    May 21 at 11:05 PM
    My eldest is going into 7th next year, so we are getting close.

This is what we are using next yr...

Rod & staff english 7

Math u see pre alg/ algebra 1

Notgrass jr high level civics (uncle sam and me)

Apologia elementary astronomy (with the family)

Apologia general science (her first independent science class)

Switched on schoolhouse elementary spanish

• mommaof697
    May 21 at 11:19 PM

I am currently HS'ing a 9th grader 2 8th graders and2 that are elementary ages

My hands on learner hated Math u see (it has manuplitives) but likes doing his sister  SOS on the computer (not online) He hates reading and writing also. Find what interests him (photography and find as much as you can to go along with that. It has to have math to it. He could do reports and give examples, He could do apprenticing with a photographer. What about developing film hisself? 

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts