Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Precious333
homeschooling is hard sometimes
May 14 at 7:52 PM
We are having another hard week. I have been.stressed, my three year old has been more needy than usual, my oldest hates his assignments and i feel like i have been failing as a mom and teacher :( i hate yelling, i really try not to, and I have been doing it too much! It doesnt help that dh doesnt like me homeschooling as it is. I fear that putting them on school will multiply their issues, especially my oldest, I dont even know what is going on with him, maybe nothing! Sorry, vent over. Hopefully marriage counseling willl help.

Replies

• Precious333
    May 15 at 12:55 PM

I likle the list idea. IRght now math is such a struggle! I give him only one page, and yesterday I even skipped the workbook and said we would play math games. He asks like its the end of the world!

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Just pare everything down a little.  All you really have to do is a little bit of math (maybe 1 workbook page), reading (read aloud or buddy read), and writing (a short bit of copywork, a journal entry, blog post, written narration, etc).  Everything else can be interest-led.  Take the kids out every day.  Go on nature walks with sketchpads and colored pencils.  Have a picnic in the park.  Go to a museum or drive to a farm.  Watch a documentary.  Play a fun educational computer game together.  Learning is in everything.  Make a list (together) of what your child really enjoys doing - both academically and other.  Then make a relaxed daily or weekly schedule from that.  Giving your child some say in his schedule make a huge difference.  Good luck and don't worry.

• Precious333
    May 15 at 12:58 PM

Thanks. I am trying to find what works for us. Yesterday it felt like that for us, we usually finish in a few hours, but yesterday they dragged it out!!  I don;t think punishment will work, I need to be more consistant with our reward system....or something! I wish I could take the wweek or two off, but we have work to turn into the charter, which I hate!

Quoting coala:

I would take a break and let school just happen for a week or two...just do the basics and see what the rest of the day holds.

We have personally been tested here out our house....my LO is taking 7 hours to do 2 hours worth of work.  It is driving me insane.  Daddy has been putting her in timeout for losing focus....I don't think it is helping, but nothign has been working.  Good luck trying to find a new balance.

• bcogoli
    by bcogoli
    May 15 at 1:04 PM

How old are your kids?

• Precious333
    May 15 at 1:07 PM

7, 5, 3, 9 months

Quoting bcogoli:

How old are your kids?

• Codysmom2106
    May 15 at 1:09 PM

We have had so many days like that. We finally have found our rhythm....what works what doesn't....it is getting better. Stay strong. 

• bcogoli
    by bcogoli
    May 15 at 6:52 PM

I have 5,3,and 1. 

I do agree with some of the other people that said some days are just like that. 

They have terrible,horrible,no good, very bad days, even in Australia. lol

Quoting Precious333:

7, 5, 3, 9 months

Quoting bcogoli:

How old are your kids?

• Precious333
    May 15 at 10:18 PM
    Lol, thankfully today was better! We did more play and less school!

Quoting bcogoli:

I have 5,3,and 1. 

I do agree with some of the other people that said some days are just like that. 

They have terrible,horrible,no good, very bad days, even in Australia. lol

Quoting Precious333:

7, 5, 3, 9 months

Quoting bcogoli:

How old are your kids?

• Bluerose1482
    May 15 at 11:17 PM

Why does he *hate* is assignments?  Maybe we can help you brainstorm about a way to modify it to something that he'll want to do.

• Precious333
    May 16 at 12:20 AM
    He is struggling in math mostly. I am trying several curriculum to see what works best. Sometimes he fights reading, but I let him choose books, and yesterday and today he read a ton, more than I expected.

Also, i have an evaluation for him at regional center in June to look for autism. I want to rule that out.

Quoting Bluerose1482:

Why does he *hate* is assignments?  Maybe we can help you brainstorm about a way to modify it to something that he'll want to do.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN