Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
sweetfox3
What type of "homeschooling" do you consider to be the limit of "Real Homeschooling"
May 13 at 11:34 AM

I know we support whatever kind of learning at home a family may choose, but in your opinion, which option or options are Real Homeschooling to you--and why?  And which do you do or plan to do and why did you choose that method?  Have you changed over the years as your goals have changed?

A)  Any schooling regularly done by the children outside of a institutional (public or private) setting. Includes state or district sponored (paid for) online school options and homebound programs. (Most regulation--often have a teacher overseeing. Often have firm deadlines for assignments. Must follow state standards of learning. Hard to change curriculum--may be set by school or state)

B) Schooling done at home, but not anything sponsored (paid for by) the state or district. Includes correspondence schools, so long as the family is paying privately or through scholarship. (Regulation with freedom--advisor overseeing, may or may not have time limits to complete work. Changes in curriculum may have to be approved.)

C) Independent homeschooling. Anything where other than notifying the school district that the child is not enrolled in institutional school and showing proof of progress if the state requires, the parents and/or child choose the curriculum and learning goals and activities. (Most freedom, very little regulation, can change curriculum as needed.)  (anything from packaged curricula without advisor to eclectic to full unschooling)

Which type of homeschooling do you do/are thinking of doing?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 17% - A) public/private school at home
  2. 2% - B) correspondence school
  3. 80% - C) independent

Replies

• Jinx-Troublex3
    May 15 at 11:42 AM
    I have been judged for my charter use and it was so ironic because it was a christian homeschoolers group.

My friend also uses an umbrella school, Bethel christian. They give her exact lesson plans, no choice on curriculums and require parent meeting and a group session once a month. They are "c&e" christians...only go to church on Christmas and Easter.

My family.is christian and very active in church. I choose all or curriculum and do my own lesson plans but the state.pays for it.

The homeschool group allowed her to join but denied my application. Which of use is more of a traditional homeschooler? I just rolled my eyes and joind a more welcoming group. That is NOT a christian attitude and I didnt want to be involved with them.

Quoting Precious333: That's sad. I never felt judged by using the charter, i know many who use it and many who dont and no one thinks ill of any one who does it differently. I do know some who dont loke.certain methods and have a strong opinion, but still no strong division.

Quoting oahoah:

We are going into our 4th year of independently homeschooling our boys.  We chose this as we didn't want anything to do with our public schools. However I don't consider it more "real" than someone who does k12 or is involved with the school system. We all have the same goal (to educate our kids as best as we can) and how we go about it is of little consequence to me.  In our city there is a big gap between the homeschoolers who choose to have funding through the school district and those who choose to remain independent. It's pretty sad that both sides feel compelled to judge someone else's choices.  I am hopeful that we can continue to remain independent of our public school system but am trying not to feel righteous over someone who is dependent on it.

• Precious333
    May 15 at 12:50 PM

I totally agree! I am the director of a Christain homeschooling group, but we welcome all! Infact we have had a mormon family and an athiest family join. Infact one athiest family that did join, she ended up accepting Jesus later on and is now a director.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: I have been judged for my charter use and it was so ironic because it was a christian homeschoolers group. My friend also uses an umbrella school, Bethel christian. They give her exact lesson plans, no choice on curriculums and require parent meeting and a group session once a month. They are "c&e" christians...only go to church on Christmas and Easter. My family.is christian and very active in church. I choose all or curriculum and do my own lesson plans but the state.pays for it. The homeschool group allowed her to join but denied my application. Which of use is more of a traditional homeschooler? I just rolled my eyes and joind a more welcoming group. That is NOT a christian attitude and I didnt want to be involved with them. Quoting Precious333: That's sad. I never felt judged by using the charter, i know many who use it and many who dont and no one thinks ill of any one who does it differently. I do know some who dont loke.certain methods and have a strong opinion, but still no strong division.
    Quoting oahoah:

We are going into our 4th year of independently homeschooling our boys.  We chose this as we didn't want anything to do with our public schools. However I don't consider it more "real" than someone who does k12 or is involved with the school system. We all have the same goal (to educate our kids as best as we can) and how we go about it is of little consequence to me.  In our city there is a big gap between the homeschoolers who choose to have funding through the school district and those who choose to remain independent. It's pretty sad that both sides feel compelled to judge someone else's choices.  I am hopeful that we can continue to remain independent of our public school system but am trying not to feel righteous over someone who is dependent on it.

• chotovec82
    May 15 at 3:18 PM
    I have independently homeschooled for two years. This upcoming school year I'm using a homeschool charter to get some funding. I am still the teacher and am able to do my own thing; however, I will have to write an ILP, turn in grades twice a year and my kids will have to take state testing. However I get to choose all their curriculum and teach it how I want. I still feel like I'm independent.
  • debramommyof4
    May 15 at 3:25 PM
    I go through a public charter and can do pretty much anything I want including religious curriculum. But I do have to buy that on my own.

The only thing I have to do is state testing each year. If they take that freedom away I would leave in a heartbeat.
  • debramommyof4
    May 15 at 3:30 PM
    How do you opt out of state testing? My 8 year old will have to take it next year. Since it will be based on common core I am nervous about her taking it.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: I didnt vote because I took a few days off...lol i also would need an "other" option.

I use a charter school but consider myself a "real" homeschooler because I have full say over their curriculum. Yes, the state pays for it but I choose it all and do all my own lesson plans. I do report what we do once a month to the state (i tell them what we do..it is not us doing what we are told and confirming it) We also opt out of the annual testing.

What I dont consider homeschooling is anyone who uses the state curriculum and has to follow their lesson plans and the state standards.

K-12 is one program I strongly disagree with after doing it in my home with my nephew for a year. That is not homeschooling. We had no say in what got done, had required online classes and daily time logs. It was a major headache!
  • Jinx-Troublex3
    May 15 at 4:56 PM
    There is a form on the Dept of Education website. Just.printed it, signed, turn it in.
  • cassielc84
    May 16 at 3:45 PM

Ok I voted for the wrong one.. I hit public instead of independent! LOL Oops!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts