Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
chotovec82
Excellence in Writing
May 10 at 8:53 PM
I want to use this program for my upcoming third grader. However I am not sure what to buy. When I called them; the receptionist said that I should use the Teaching Writing: Structure and Style set. Which is the 16 DvD set that teaches you how to teach your kid how to write and she also suggested the Bible Heroes writing text. That is 200 dollars altogether. When I went on that site today I found the SWI level A set. I read the description and I liked this a lot.

For those of you with experience - which did you use>

For anyone else; is there a writing program that really helped your kids learn to write?

Replies

• JKronrod
    May 11 at 10:25 AM

Okay, we have used the Excellence in Writing course -- both the Intensive (the "starter") and the SWI Level A.  We also had our daughter take an online class that was offered by a live teacher, which also used the SWI Level A disks -- but  all this started when they were older than third grade. 

Learning to write is an ongoing process.  I would start with with what they recommended. What they are trying to do is to teach YOU how to teach THEM.  I will say that the process (focusing only on one thing at a time; only grading on that one thing, etc.) is a good one.  I like the approach they use at the start in providing the children with a short composition and then having them rewrite it so that they can focus on sentences without having to worry about structure, and the rest of  the lessons do similar things to allow a particular "focus."

HOWEVER, the quality of the writing  in the course itself is not very good, IMO.  (My standards are likely too high.  I'm a lawyer, and essentially I write for a living.)  I would supplement with lots and lots of good writing (I was using a lot of George Orwell, which is obviously inappropriate for third graders, but there is good writing, both fiction and non-fiction, out there.) 

My children also found it frustrating to put in certain "dress ups" as this course calls them and other structures (only more interesting verbs; etc.), when, in a lot of cases, they didn't "work" in the essay.  The thing to remember  -- and to remind your kids if they get frustrated -- is that these are all exercises, not really what would be submitted as a "real" essay.  The course is trying to give the child tools that they can use to make their writing better. 

All in all, it's a good course, and, again, I'd go with what they suggest....

• mem82
    by mem82
    May 12 at 10:01 AM
    Here is a bump!
  • energygirl
    May 14 at 8:06 AM

I have bought the structure and style teachers manual and the dvds (between amazon and ebay I spent a total of $60.)  You could buy their Bible heroes stuff, but you could also use other writings/books that you already have as well.  I went to a workshop where someone presented the structure and style in a 20 min session and I was very impressed......

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN