Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
energygirl
for those that do year round school
May 10 at 2:33 PM

I am looking at doing year round (since we were going to do reading and math practise all summer anyway). I am wondering, when do I start my count of days? We live in IN and have to go 180 days.....  this week we will finish the year.....  do you start your count in August, or can you start earlier?

Replies

• KrissyKC
    May 10 at 3:47 PM
    What does indiana require? For example, Missouri counts hours and you set up your own schedule. Their reporting year cuts off at June 30th and the next reporting yr is July 1st.

You jusy have to keep a log of hours done and a small portfolio here. Otherwise, days and times are up to you.

• Bluerose1482
    May 10 at 4:47 PM

You'll have to look at your state guidelines.  In louisiana, I believe the reporting year is from July 1st- June 30th.  

• Jlee4249
    May 11 at 1:39 PM

We put star stickers on a calendar for each day we do school.  I mark the day we report the number of days and then when it's time to report the days again, I count from the last time I reported them.  Some states require specific times you can do school--like the same days as the "normal" school year-- in which case keeping track of "make-up" days outside of that time frame can still be helpful should anyone ever question your numbers.  Doing school year around allows for us to take unexpected time off--family functions, travel, or illness. So your summer days can be counted as "make-up" days, since you can't be faulted for illness/deaths...much like public school's snow days.

• energygirl
    May 11 at 4:02 PM

I guess I just need to find out if Indiana has a reporting year cut off...that would answer my question :)  thanks

Quoting KrissyKC: What does indiana require? For example, Missouri counts hours and you set up your own schedule. Their reporting year cuts off at June 30th and the next reporting yr is July 1st. You jusy have to keep a log of hours done and a small portfolio here. Otherwise, days and times are up to you.

• Mandallyn
    May 11 at 4:50 PM
    We are going to school all year long. We will start counting days from July 1, which is allowable by law for our state.
  • haskins46563
    May 12 at 9:15 AM

I live in indiana as well.  There is no cut off of dates. Just 180 days. When we started two years ago we began in June, then we finished early may with our 180.  The very next day I counted as day one again.  Now we are down to 3 more days and I will just start at day 1 again for our third year of homeschooling. 

I like going year round because it gives us incredible flexibility. We take days off when we want and as needed and it doesn't create panic due to a schedule to keep. 

• energygirl
    May 12 at 9:26 AM

thank you! We have 3 days left...think we will just take the rest of May off and jump back in with June 1st..... I knew Indiana was flexible...just wanted to make sure :)

Quoting haskins46563:

I live in indiana as well.  There is no cut off of dates. Just 180 days. When we started two years ago we began in June, then we finished early may with our 180.  The very next day I counted as day one again.  Now we are down to 3 more days and I will just start at day 1 again for our third year of homeschooling. 

I like going year round because it gives us incredible flexibility. We take days off when we want and as needed and it doesn't create panic due to a schedule to keep. 

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN