Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
BellaRose17
Saxon or Math U See?
May 9 at 10:52 PM

From what I've seen both Saxon and Math U See look great.

My girls both have different ways of learning and I'm tempted to get both programs lol =)

What's your opinion on saxon vs. Math U See?

Replies

• Codysmom2106
    May 9 at 11:12 PM

I've never used Saxon and am only about 4.5 weeks into mus beta with my ds but we really like it. He is actually learning! It's been well worth it. 

• melindabelcher
    Mel
    May 9 at 11:20 PM
    We love Saxon here
  • chotovec82
    May 10 at 1:07 AM
    I love Math U See!!!!
  • No_Difference
    May 10 at 5:21 AM

I have never used Saxon,  but we love Math U See. 

• Bluerose1482
    May 10 at 10:40 AM

I use Saxon, but honestly it depends on the child.  As a learner, I'd love Saxon.  It is very striaght-forward, covers a topic and then has you practice it to mastery.  My dd8 does great with it.  

If it were me, I'd buy the program best suited for each child.  Saxon works well for  both of my children, but I could see how it would require lots of parent input to make it suitable for a hands-on learner.    

• Jinx-Troublex3
    May 10 at 12:48 PM
    This...

My boys were in public school and needed a change. MUS was a lifesaver.

When DD was ready a few years later we gave it a shot again even though she has a titally different learning style.

Quoting No_Difference:

I have never used Saxon,  but we love Math U See. 

• rmgriffberg
    May 10 at 12:54 PM

Love Math U See. i have never tried Saxon so i can not tell you about that one sorry

• energygirl
    May 10 at 2:32 PM

I have used both Saxon and Horizon  for Kindergarden, and the Horizon was more fun and went to a higher level of math...was not happy with Saxon at that level...was a waste of money.. not sure about Saxon for  older years...might be better then. have heard good things about MathUSee but haven't tried it. 

• KrissyKC
    May 10 at 4:48 PM
    We did saxon our first year. I highly respect it for the older grades.

Younger grades, though, weren't that thrilling. We really got tired of the daily meetings part very quickly.

For my older daughter, the long/harder problems reviewed and practiced over and over became a math battle where she started to really haaaate math. But I will admit part of that was because she was 7 and tested into saxon 6/5. As a new hser, we put her in that level, but her maturity wasn't there.

Anyway...we tried bju, rod and staff... and landed on math u see last year. They did AMAZING with it. First year there was only a few groans over math and no tears or fights.

They both (4th and 6th graders) completed the whole year virtually on their own. They would watch the video, do half the lesson... grade it themselves...do the other half...grade it themselves and ask me for the test. I would grade the test and they would do the application/honors page.

They scored 98% and 94% for their final grades and we ordered and started the next book already for both of them.

I have never experienced such a relaxed year for math before.

• KrissyKC
    May 10 at 4:51 PM
    If your kid already has basic concepts down, skip the primer level of mus (if you are switching)... basically, the primer is only to deminstrate early math concepts they will learn in other levels.

Quoting energygirl:

I have used both Saxon and Horizon  for Kindergarden, and the Horizon was more fun and went to a higher level of math...was not happy with Saxon at that level...was a waste of money.. not sure about Saxon for  older years...might be better then. have heard good things about MathUSee but haven't tried it. 

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts